Off Norwegian Star Panama Canal Cruise Miami to LA Jan 19 2015

jertom

We had a very nice cruise with weather cooperating. Our first time at all of the ports. Also our first time on the Star, after 5 cruises on other NCL ships. We thought the crew was pleasant and attentive.

We did miss the Great Outdoors and Observation Lounge of most of the other similarly sized NCL ships, but overall we enjoyed the ship.

I will post some other comments, and if any questions please fire away.

Tom

We had a very nice cruise with weather cooperating. Our first time at all of the ports. Also our first time on the Star, after 5 cruises on other NCL ships. We thought the crew was pleasant and attentive.

I will post some other comments, and if any questions please fire away.

Tom

I have a question. I recently did a partial transit on Princess, but my husband and I are thinking about doing the full transit on NCL. Does NCL have guest lecturers, etc.? On Princess they had something every day - lecture (not just a port shopping lecture), documentary, slide show, historical program, that kind of thing. Plus they had videographers that got off the ship at Gatun Locks and made a video of our ship going through, including video shot from a helicopter, so we could buy the DVD and actually watch our ship making its transit. It just seemed like Princess went above and beyond on educating everyone about the canal before we got there. Just wondering what extra things like that NCL does on a PC cruise.

I have a question. I recently did a partial transit on Princess, but my husband and I are thinking about doing the full transit on NCL. Does NCL have guest lecturers, etc.? On Princess they had something every day - lecture (not just a port shopping lecture), documentary, slide show, historical program, that kind of thing. Plus they had videographers that got off the ship at Gatun Locks and made a video of our ship going through, including video shot from a helicopter, so we could buy the DVD and actually watch our ship making its transit. It just seemed like Princess went above and beyond on educating everyone about the canal before we got there. Just wondering what extra things like that NCL does on a PC cruise.

We did this cruise in November on the Star. They showed the PBS documentary "Path Between the Seas" about the history of the Panama Canal in the main theater the day before, and on the cabin TV's continuously. There was a guest lecturer on board to describe what we were seeing as we went through the canal. There was a package that could be purchased with a CD with the PC cruise and a time lapse of our cruise going through the PC taken by the ship's videographers, and some still shots of our ship. I think it's pretty much what you described that Princess does.

On our cruise on the Star, a ship photographer got off and took shots from alongside the canal of people on decks or on their balconies. The individual shots of people on the ship were posted in the photo shop.

A few random comments on our Jan 19 cruise:

No 2 for 1 Happy Hours on this cruise.

Taxi drivers at Cartagena port were really aggressive about their fares. They were insisting on $20 to town when we had the impression from research that the normal fare was $7.50. The vendors in town were willing to negotiate well down.

The ship library was very well stocked, but irritating that the shelves were locked most of the time.

The shower in our balcony cabin was very good sized. I think the OV cabins are the same.

In Puntarenas, there was supposed to be a free shuttle bus from the ship to the end of the long pier, but we never saw one. Also the Tourist office just past the pier was closed. I think both closures were because it was a Sunday.

Food was generally good if you read the menus carefully. We ate at the MDRs most nights, and didn't eat at specialty restaurants. The good thing about the buffet is you can see the food before deciding. We do miss the salmon which used to be on the MDR menus every night.

The Oh What a Night (Four Seasons inspired) shows were good. 2 shows during the cruise, each different. The only other show we liked was the violinist Gary Lovini.

We watched the Super Bowl in the Spinnaker lower deck lounge. Lots of small TVs, one projected TV, and flexible seating. Needless to say, an exciting experience !

Tom

And a few more comments on Jan 19 cruise:

At Cartagena, if you take a tour directly from the ship, you will miss a nice garden spot at the end of the pier, with lots of tropical birds, monkeys, etc. If you take a tour, you might ask them to drop you off there after the tour.

The Gold museum in downtown Cartagena is free and a nice visit. Worthwhile historically as well as art objects.

Real ice cream at Topsiders near pool.

Going through the Canal, big crowds at bow, better to go to stern.

You can get an iron and board by contacting Reception or your steward.

I used the internet on pay by the minute basis, using their terminals on deck 9. The speed was OK.

Late afternoon snacks at the buffet included scones, etc, like an afternoon tea.

At Puerto Chiapas, for those who didn't want to go far, there is a nicely done port area which as well as shops includes a good history and artifact museum.

At Huatulco, the further you walk down the beach, the cheaper the prices.

Puerto Vallarta: a Wal-Mart, lots of traffic, cheap public bus to go to the Old Town.

Saw whales and dolphins coming into Cabo San Lucas. The port area was nice with lots of shops and restaurants.

We rented a car from LA and drove to Palm Springs. We enjoyed that too. We drove back to LA to catch a flight East, because it was much cheaper than flying from Palm Springs.

Tom

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you enjoy your cruise. Did you use ship fitness center? If you use the gym, can you share the info regarding Barong Juice Bar (the one in the gym).

We had resolved to use the fitness center but failed. We did look at it and it seemed to be well equipped. Sorry, I don't know about the juice bar.

• 3 weeks later...
We did this cruise in November on the Star. They showed the PBS documentary "Path Between the Seas" about the history of the Panama Canal in the main theater the day before, and on the cabin TV's continuously. There was a guest lecturer on board to describe what we were seeing as we went through the canal. There was a package that could be purchased with a CD with the PC cruise and a time lapse of our cruise going through the PC taken by the ship's videographers, and some still shots of our ship. I think it's pretty much what you described that Princess does.

Thank you!

In Puntarenas, there was supposed to be a free shuttle bus from the ship to the end of the long pier, but we never saw one.

Free shuttle was there. I took it to and back from the beach. It had to wait for all the tour buses to depart first since there was no more parking spot left along the long pier.

One thing you didn't mention is that there were soldiers with M16s and navy patrol boats everywhere in Mexico. Never felt saver with all these extra security around.

We did ths cruise with Disney. I loved Cartegena - much more than any other port I've been too.

one thing about Panama - It's definitely worth it for a balcony. We got a IGT (inside guarantee) room on Disney and were able to upgrade at the port. Total I think was $4400 for the 15 day cruise, and it was soo worth it for just the Panama Canal day, outsdie of the day to day use.

Free shuttle was there. I took it to and back from the beach. It had to wait for all the tour buses to depart first since there was no more parking spot left along the long pier.

One thing you didn't mention is that there were soldiers with M16s and navy patrol boats everywhere in Mexico. Never felt saver with all these extra security around.

Thanks for the info ! i guess we didn't wait long enough for the shuttle.

And yes, we were surprised by the level of security.

Tom

On our cruise on the Star, a ship photographer got off and took shots from alongside the canal of people on decks or on their balconies. The individual shots of people on the ship were posted in the photo shop.

Nice! Wish they did that on our PC cruise.