Getaway Photo Review - Food Focus - Specialty Dining - Chef's Table - Viva Vino

megacruiser

Following your review! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. This is my favorite part of CC. I love seeing all of the pictures, menu photos, and detailed explanations of these cruises. Thanks again and I can't wait to see the rest!

I am following. I love all of the pictures and the level of detail you are providing. Thank you so much for sharing! I can't think of a better way to pass the time until we board the Getaway in October. I feel like I'm getting the inside scoop.

Thank you kindly. Not sure if there will be any scoops (maybe the latest Viva Vino list that has recently changed). I will however give a lot of details, especially on the areas that interest me most.

Kind regards

megacruiser

following…….I cruise next month on the GETAWAY for the second time….Did not get to look at the studio area last cruise…is the lounge open for non studio passengers? Hope you enjoyed your b2b….

Hello tony0aces,

Yes the studio lounge is open to all singles from 5-7pm. The rest of the time access is controlled by key card.

Regards

megacruiser

Stop teasing! Give us more :p

Honestly I am not teasing, but writing the next part of the review in between responding to earlier comments.:)

It would be relatively easy just to post a lot of photos, but I want to try to make it interesting to read too. Speed is not my strong point. If I have to sit here until midnight (7 hours from now), I promise to finish Day 1 today. I hope I don't regret saying that...:o

Regards

megacruiser

Following for sure! Love the thoroughness in which you write. Incredibly entertaining. Thank you so much for taking the time. My husband and I are not fond of crowds so we are hesitant to sail on the bigger ships. We have been on the Star and never felt crowded or had to wait in long lines but we always wondered if that was because we were in a suite. I would be interested in hearing your take on the "crowded" feeling.

In an effort to get things started, I guess I rushed things a bit last night; so a bit more information about the Studios for those who didn’t read my Epic review. I love what NCL has done for singles!

They have put a lot of thought into designing a compact space that they can sell at an affordable price for solo occupancy. It has absolutely everything a solo needs; if not everything you might in an ideal-world want. The separation of the glass shower-enclosure from the toilet cubicle; and also from the sink, makes the room feel much more spacious than it would they all were enclosed together. There are two shallow sliding wardrobe doors behind which the hanging rails run from the back to the front, rather than from side to side. So when you open the door, the shirts (or whatever) are hanging widthways in front of you rather than side on; because the wardrobes are too shallow to accept the full depth of a coat hanger.

The only thing for me that the studio lacks compared to a traditional inside cabin is an armchair or settee and you don’t even always get one of those in insides. There is a little stool that fits under the mini dressing table underneath the TV, but it’s not very usable. Anyway it’s a relatively minor point and you quickly get used to lying on the bed if watching TV. Besides, it’s a small trade off for the huge saving in fare that can be spent on things outside the cabin, like the Vibe Beach Club pass or Specialty Dining or in one of the bars.

The bed is big enough for two, probably intentionally;), but obviously one side is against the wall, which could be a bit restrictive. Finally to make the point again - why did NCL remove the dimmable, coloured mood-lighting? Now you may think coloured lighting sounds a bit tacky, but I thought it really worked well on the Epic to suit for your mood at different times of the day. You could have red or orange before sleeping, pale blue in the morning to bring you round from your slumbers gradually and bright white when you needed to find something; or any particular shade and brightness you wanted. Now it’s either just on-or-off and full-brightness or none... To see what I am talking about, it’s on page 1 of my Epic Review...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2059296

In my Studio awaiting me was the Week’s Planner. I do recommend looking at it closely and booking any remaining shows that you want to see, not already booked prior to the cruise. Timings of future events can help you decide on dining times too.

Week Ahead Planner...

Day1Misc-0001_zps5810ec14.jpg

Day1Misc-0002_zps3d874a03.jpg

Studios also get the Solo Events planner...

Day1Misc-0001-2_zpsbd773046.jpg

Day1Misc-0002-2_zpscb5e51ee.jpg

There was a Laundry Special on Day 1; all pressing only - half price. Actually this worked out very well for me because I always put my dress shirts in for pressing on the first day. I only found out later about this offer – the flyer was hidden amongst other “junk” paperwork. What I really like is that even though I hadn’t mentioned the offer on the list I filled out with the full prices, the half price reduction had been applied when the laundry came back. Now that was very much appreciated...

Laundry Special Day 1...

LaundrySpecialDay1-0001_zps1674db6a.jpg

Love your reviewing style Megacruiser! [Your QE and QM2 review have moved a Cunard ship on to my "really, really must do" list.]

I was on the Getaway for the christmas cruise and splurged on a cabana in Vibe (got that first one nearest the hot tubs and I now know to request one further forward!) and it, along with the Chef's Table, were the best things about the cruise!

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on any plumbing noises in the studios, I was in 10527, and the constant noise of "flushing" from the cabins along that chain was really bad. A lot of the other solo's travelling in the studios had the same problem - I'm used to the usual "swooshing" you can hear on all cruise ships, but this was a lot more pronounced - however, I've rarely seen it mentioned in reviews.

I'm heading to the Quantum in May (BCN to Dubai!) and will be eagerly awaiting your Quantum review. Especially interested to hear about the Quantum from a solo's point of view.

Thanks again!

Hello WoodsDrive,

If you are going from Miami Airport to Hampton Inn at Brickell (there may be other Hampton Inns), then you are in luck, because it couldn't be easier and I have just tested that it works fine.

At Miami Airport itself you look for the MIA Mover, which is basically a free shuttle tram that runs back and forth to Central Station, where the Car Rental Centre is also located. At Central Station look for the Metrorail line and buy a $2.25 ticket from the machine. Staff are on hand to help.

Board the train in the rearmost coach and alight after seven stops at Brickell Station. As you exit the train the elevator is right there and takes you to street level. On exit make an about turn and head back up that road for about a hundred yards. Watch for the hotel accross the street.

Regards,

megacruiser

That's perfect information. We are staying at the Hampton Inn. Thank you for your help.

MusterDrill1-_zps47798003.jpg

The Muster Drill for the Studios was in the Getaway Theatre at 3.30pm. As you arrive you are put into “pens” according to your muster number (A1 – A10 etc). You are directed to move all the way along the selected row to fill every seat. The days of carrying life jackets with you are long past. They are issued at your muster station in the event of an actual emergency. It wasn’t a prolonged drill with endless announcements, thankfully. After the customary announcement from the Bridge, we were dismissed.

MusterDrill2-_zps46b9ba8d.jpg

I then headed up top to watch us depart.

Sailawaystationaery-_zps56a49670.jpg

As we needed to turn around we headed forward past the remaining ships in front of us; Carnival Glory, Carnival Victory and MSC Divina to the turning basin at the end, just past the little red Bimini ship.

SailawayBimini-7226_zpsda8d0cf1.jpg

Edited by megacruiser

We then sailed back past them again and at the end, the Norwegian Pearl that had been behind us. I think Celebrity Reflection had made a quick exit before us, which would have been quite early.

Sailaway4ships-7237_zpse7eae91b.jpg

Behind Carnival Victory and Divina, Oceania’s Riviera (sailed in 2013; top class but too boring at night...)

Sailaway3shipsincRiviera-7218_zpse655cb0f.jpg

That Whale’s Tail means one thing, Carnival... One of the few big lines I have avoided... Am I missing anything?

SailawayFunnel-7241_zpsa43492bc.jpg

Norwegian Pearl... have heard good reports...

SailawayNorwegianPearl-7249_zps573b911a.jpg

Decks not exactly crowded...

Sailawayoverlookers-7242_zpse8a9d391.jpg

Sun setting with Miami skyline behind the ropes course...

SailawayRopessunset-7294_zps8e1f34e9.jpg