Getaway Photo Review - Food Focus - Specialty Dining - Chef's Table - Viva Vino

megacruiser

I have a question about VIBE. You said, "It costs $79 per person or $299 for a large private cabana for two, of which there are only five and that price includes $100 in onboard credit; so in effect only $20 per person more. They are an absolute bargain and I recommend couples snap one up if they get to reception quickly enough." From what I read on official NCL docs, the $100 is only good IN the Vibe area for food and beverages. What did you experience regarding this? If it's an actual onboard credit to be used at your will, it's a great deal! If it's only good in the VIBE area, I don't see the point because I have the UBP anyway. Wanted your thoughts :)

Megacruiser; WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just plain WOW !!!!!!!!! I think there will never be any review that can top yours. It is 07/02/15 and I am just reading your review today, all day from beginning to end. I could not pull myself away from it. I will be going on the Getaway for the first time the end of August 2015 and you have given more information that I was looking for than I was able to find anywhere else. I commend you for such an absolute beautiful review.

Absolutely wonderful review I've been reading it like a bestseller my daughter and I will be cruising on the getaway October 31 and it will be our first time on one of the big ships I am so much less intimidated since I've read your review thank you so very much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you SO much for your captivating review!! I have been glued to my chair for hours going through all your priceless info and photos. Thank you so much for all the time you spent I am sure it is appreciated more than you can even begin to imagine! It is the best review I have ever read! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

I have sailed only once on NCL many years ago for a very short weekend cruise. Since then have sailed mostly Celebrity and RCL, so when I started reading this thread I didn't know what to expect.

Was considering booking Getaway for a 7-day Caribbean this fall and this review convinced me to do it. Thank you megacruiser for your detailed review and amazing pictures, the dailys, the menus and your candid assessment of your experiences. Wow! Tremendous job!

And I encourage NCL to upgrade you on your next cruise so you can describe your Haven experience to all of us. ;)

Have taken the plunge today and booked an aft balcony on the Escape for January 2016. Quite excited to learn about new dining aboard, like the dinner show in place of Illusionarium or Cirque Dreams...

megacruiser, that's great - I was wondering if you were going on the Escape too. Everyone can look forward to another great review!

I'll be on the maiden TA in fall :)

Thank you for your great reviews and those wonderful pictures - I am reading the Getaway thread as inspiration for the Escape and the Epic one to reminiscence on my past trips :D

• 2 months later...
This Hampton Inn is very new and is currently rated number one in Miami on Tripadvisor, Cruise Critic’s parent company (hence I assume I am permitted to mention it). When I booked it about nine months ago I got a good rate for a Friday night which was about $200.

HamptonInnMiami2-_zps6acf8d28.jpg

HamptonInnMiami3-_zps0f870704.jpg

HamptonInnMiami5-_zpsf40d2384.jpg

HamptonInnMiamiEnSuite1-_zpsc75ecbb8.jpg

Nice spacious bathroom but no bath, a large walk-in shower only...

HamptonInnMiamiEnSuite2-2_zps637db463.jpg

HamptonInnMiamiEnSuite3-_zps58b785ca.jpg

I felt it was very good value for this location, from where you can use the free Metromover to venture out and explore the downtown area, including Bayfront. As it transpired, my early rise and lack of sleep was catching me up. All I needed was food, wine and an early night...

However I must warn anyone who stays here to avoid at all costs the 3 Chefs Chinese Restaurant located within the hotel. I ordered a takeaway of Spring Rolls, Hot and Sour Soup, Kung Po Shrimp and Egg Fried Rice. I had read very mixed reviews but settled for the convenience, knowing I was not looking for top cooking; just an average meal of a standard that you could find at a mall food-court would have sufficed. This was so bad that I took only one bite of the rolls, one sip of the soup, one shrimp from the Kung Po which like the soup was hidden beneath a vile oil-slick and even the fried rice was appalling. I love food and I hadn’t eaten since breakfast but I couldn’t choke-down this diabolical garbage. Almost the entire meal went straight into the bin. Restaurateurs who serve such awful food that I know they themselves would not even contemplate consuming, are treating their customers with utter contempt and do not deserve to stay in business. Normally I confront restaurants over such bad food but I was so tired I couldn’t face putting my shoes back on to go down to the lobby. Oh boy, with an empty stomach, did that bottle of wine go straight to my head; so much so, I almost contemplated leaving a thimbleful...

Next Day 1...

Great Pictures. What type of lense did you use to make the room so large?

Hello mikeflynn,

NCL is the best line for sailing solo! If you want to meet other singles to dine with or to join in other activities, go to the Studio Lounge at 5pm. My other advice applies to everyone. If you want a tranquil place to relax on deck, book the Vibe, but you need to board early. If you really enjoy good food, the unlimited Dining Package can be great value. If you like to have drinks during the day as well as the evening, worth looking at the Ultimate Beverage Package. It's nice not to worry about how much you are racking up. If however you enjoy wine, the Viva Vino Wine Package may be the best bargain, as big savings over full price can be made.

Regards

megacruiser

What is the Dining package? You have to pay for your meals?

THANK YOU so much Megacruiser for taking the time to do this very detailed review and especially for including the awesome photos ! I cant tell you how much I ve enjoyed spending today reading every page of this review. I was on the Getaway last year (just a month before you ) and am now booked to do it again in 6 weeks. Your photos reminded me of many things I really did enjoy about this cruise . I will miss the fireworks though, as I hear the Getaway is no longer doing them ( your fireworks photos are really good )

Edited by balcap

Sorry I hoped to make more progress but got engrossed finding and editing photos that took rather a long time. I did promise to post the new Viva Vino Wine Packages list today, so I’ll post it now before I hit the sack. Feel free to discuss with each other. I will give my two-pennies-worth at a later time.

This is the badly Xeroxed list they were distributing...

Day1Misc-0002-3_zpsc61db37a.jpg

I have transcribed it for easier reading...

VivaVino1-0001_zps67923724.jpg

ffafd31a-14f9-427b-a04c-18d0b8d9af59_zpseb6613da.jpg

Good night...

Not seeing a Moscato listed. Anyone been on the Getaway more recently to know if they have added it?

• 2 months later...

Just finished reading your review and, while I am quite late, I wanted to pass along that I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My first exposure to your work was with the Oasis review (which was also excellent!). You wield both a camera and the written word with the utmost elegance and I look forward to immersing myself in your other reviews!

• 3 weeks later...

Megacruiser,

Thank you. I loved your review. Sailed 8 times on the Norway and I just loved Club I. The Norway is still my all time favorite ship. Also sailed twice on the Sun. This will be my first time on the Getaway and my first studio experience. It sounds like a great time. Looking forward to my voyage.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Megacruiser - are you still booked and planning to review the Escape this month?

Apologies for my disappearance and thanks to all for the kind comments. Following a couple of significant events last year, my travel plans had to be revamped. I am now scheduled to be on the Escape in January 2017. As soon as I get back on an even keel I hope to make further contributions.

Apologies for my disappearance and thanks to all for the kind comments. Following a couple of significant events last year, my travel plans had to be revamped. I am now scheduled to be on the Escape in January 2017. As soon as I get back on an even keel I hope to make further contributions.

I'm booked on the Escape for Jan 28, and can't wait. It will be my first time on NCL. Thank you for your review, although the Getaway is a different ship, they appear to share many similarities. It gave me a better idea as to what I should expect.