Getaway Photo Review - Food Focus - Specialty Dining - Chef's Table - Viva Vino

megacruiser

Love your reviewing style Megacruiser! [Your QE and QM2 review have moved a Cunard ship on to my "really, really must do" list.]

I was on the Getaway for the christmas cruise and splurged on a cabana in Vibe (got that first one nearest the hot tubs and I now know to request one further forward!) and it, along with the Chef's Table, were the best things about the cruise!

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on any plumbing noises in the studios, I was in 10527, and the constant noise of "flushing" from the cabins along that chain was really bad. A lot of the other solo's travelling in the studios had the same problem - I'm used to the usual "swooshing" you can hear on all cruise ships, but this was a lot more pronounced - however, I've rarely seen it mentioned in reviews.

I'm heading to the Quantum in May (BCN to Dubai!) and will be eagerly awaiting your Quantum review. Especially interested to hear about the Quantum from a solo's point of view.

Thanks again!

Hello westcoasttech,

So glad you like my reviews. I always worry how folk may react to my forthright opinions.

Cunard would be great for one of their cruises in the Med; it was QE last year and QV this year. You can choose 7,14 or 21 nights. Or a transatlantic crossing on QM2.

On the isssue of the whooshing sound I had the worst ever experience on Queen Elizabeth and mentioned it in my review. I was aware of it perhaps more than average in Studio 10505 on Getaway but it wasn't unduly bad. I tend to use earplugs when I want undisturbed sleep.

I had a great cruise on Quantum but they still have issues to resolve, relating mainly to Dynamic Dining. You should have an amazing adventure on your cruise.

kind regards

megacruiser

Following! Thank you for such a wonderfully detailed review. You have actually made me reconsider Vibe. I am sailing this fall with my sister and her husband. Would it be allowed to try to get a cabana and "share" our time there or do you think it might be frowned upon? I am definitely not a rule breaker but since we are sailing with extended family it might be a fun treat and a little easier on the pocketbook. Can't wait to read more. It will make my wait easier to bear.

Hi SuperMommy,

Thanks for your feedback. Those entering Vibe are supposed to wear a coloured wrist band to show they have paid. Not sure what the rules say, but as long as no more than the number who have paid enter at any given time and with wristbands on, I think your plan may work. Not saying it is permitted and it is almost certainly not approved.

Regards

megacruiser

I am loving your review! I got off the Epic in January and LOVED it and am sailing the getaway in a little over a week. I'm loving the comparison between the two. I also love that your including the dailies and the menus! It makes the review even better :) thanks for all your hard work so we can enjoy!

My pleasure. Not long before you go now. Have a great time.

Regards

megacruiser

Following and have a request...

Can you please cruise the Escape soon after it is launched so that I can rely on review to help plan for my February 2016 sailing? :D

Although I have nothing booked yet, I am considering Escape for late January, so review may be posted mid February if not too late. Glad you are following.

Kind regards

megacruiser

I'm following, too! Thank you for taking the time to write up such a detailed review. I really appreciate the dining reviews and can't wait to hear about your experience at the Chef's Table.

We'll be on the Getaway in April and sailed on the Breakaway last year, so while we're familiar with the layout of the ship, it's great to hear opinions about which restaurants are best on THIS ship. I know they're basically the same, but I've noticed some varations in food quality in the same speciality restaurant from one ship to another.

Hello, nice to hear from others who love food. Stay tuned for all the details but I will say that one disappointment was Moderno compared to the Epic. That has beeen scored off my list for the future...

Kind regards

megacruiser

Great reviews & photos, can't wait to see more!

Beautiful photos, what type of camera do you use?

Cabana%20Camera-_zps1xmsiccb.jpg

Hello SAILPRO,

Main camera is a Fuji XE2, but I use various lenses. A lot of interiors are taken with a wide angle lens.

Many thanks for the compliments.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Fantastic Review! Why...oh Why...would they take out the ambient lighting in the studio rooms??? Makes NO sense.

Mary

Hello silver_cloud,

Glad it's not just me - I loved that lighting. :) Maybe it cost too much in maintenance. otherwise cannot see any reason to drop it.

Regards

megacruiser

Following ... great review! Thanks for all your work.

One question regarding embarkation - you mentioned that you got to the port around 10am and there were already about 40 people ahead of you; at what time did the check-in/security actually start and at what time were you allowed on-board?

Hello mikeg105,

From memory, always dangerous, I believe the security lines opened at 10.30am. If anyone else had a different experience please do chime in. I remember that we boarded earlier than expected and much earlier then the Epic in Barcelona. My best recollection is around 11.30, possibly a little earlier.

Hope that helps,

megacruiser

Loving your review! Thanks for all the hard work. I had to go back and read a couple of your other reviews while waiting for the next installment here. Your level of detail is perfect. Really nice pictures. You do a great job pointing out what isn't just right without coming across as a super fan where nothing can be wrong, or as a reviewer who can never be pleased. Thanks again!

S/F

Scott and June

Thanks Marine1986. I am so pleased that by being honest and mentioning both the positives and negatives that my opinion is not being challenged as being biased, which is important to me. It is just opinion and everyone has their own.

Thanks for checking out my other reviews too.

Kind regards

megacruiser

I just started reading this review (I adore reviews w/ pictures!!) Did anyone else notice our banner in the pic?

Laura

Hello Laura,

I did a double-take when I saw your name. I thought I was about to be reprimanded for something... :)

Yes, it was no accident that Cruise Critic's banner appeared in that photo... ;)

Kind regards

megacruiser

Megacruiser, regarding the solo week at a glance handout, did it seem standard? Do you think I would be safe making reservations accordingly? I loved doing stuff in the evenings with the solo group on the Epic. Loving your review, May can't get here fast enough. Debbie

Hello Debbie,

Although I spoke to a few folk in the Studio Lounge whenever I popped in, I really didn't participate in any of the group activities, so I do not feel able to advise on this. Sorry.

Regards

megacruiser

Hi Megacruiser,

Following your brilliant review.

Hope you had a fantastic holiday,

Mark.

Hi Mark,

I can't tell you how good it was to escape from the winter for 3 weeks. It was fantastic and I have come back feeling well rested. Thanks for the compliment.

Regards

megacruiser

Great read! I will be sailing on Epic, solo...in studio...any advice for sailing alone lol? This in only my 2nd cruise and first with NCL.

Hello mikeflynn,

NCL is the best line for sailing solo! If you want to meet other singles to dine with or to join in other activities, go to the Studio Lounge at 5pm. My other advice applies to everyone. If you want a tranquil place to relax on deck, book the Vibe, but you need to board early. If you really enjoy good food, the unlimited Dining Package can be great value. If you like to have drinks during the day as well as the evening, worth looking at the Ultimate Beverage Package. It's nice not to worry about how much you are racking up. If however you enjoy wine, the Viva Vino Wine Package may be the best bargain, as big savings over full price can be made.

Regards

megacruiser

Hello, nice to hear from others who love food. Stay tuned for all the details but I will say that one disappointment was Moderno compared to the Epic. That has beeen scored off my list for the future...

Kind regards

megacruiser[/font][/size][/color]

Funny, I heard such good things about Moderno, but it was a HUGE disappointment in Feb 2013 on Breakaway (well, except for the awesome salad bar). Debating whether to give it a second chance when we return to Breakaway in December. We're buying UDP, so we'll probably try it with an early reservation and then have a late Cagney's dinner as a backup in case it's bad again.

Thanks so much for all your work on this detailed review - really enjoying it :)

Sorry if this question was asked an answered already, but what night of the cruise was the "Elegant" night or "Formal" night. This will be my first NCL cruise so I'm not familiar with everything.

Thank you for taking the time to post, I am throughly enjoying your review!!

Greetings, Megacruiser!!

Enjoying your review!! Read the one on the Epic as well--my sister and I are doing the TA in April on Epic--our first sailing on NCL!

I have a question for you, is the Viva Vino wine package available to purchase before boarding, or just on board?? I've been trying to find a link for it and keep coming up empty. It looks like it is a really good value!! I sailed on MSC Fantasia with their unlimited drinks package (at $32/day a REAL bargain!! And it included all you could drink espresso drinks and the like & all you could eat gelato!!)--I looked at the UBP and thought that it was just too much for an 11 night cruise. Also, is the Chef's Table also available on the Epic???

Thanks, and CRUISE ON!! Susan:D

Kind regards

megacruiser[/font][/size][/color]

Good to know, thank you! Looking forward to reading your writeup on Moderno. I've made reservations for each speciality restaurant, but Moderno is not DH's favorite - maybe we'll skip it this time.

Still following!!

Loving all your reports, keep having to restrict how many times I keep checking to see if your next instalment is online!!

Really, really appreciate all the time this must be taking you. Judging by all the positive comments that are being posted , many people feel the same as me. So well done and please keep going 😀😀😀.

We're sailing on Getaway in July, our first time on NCl, so loving all the details and photos.

Best wishes.