Cruise Critic Community
megacruiser

Getaway Photo Review - Food Focus - Specialty Dining - Chef's Table - Viva Vino

Sorry if this question was asked an answered already, but what night of the cruise was the "Elegant" night or "Formal" night. This will be my first NCL cruise so I'm not familiar with everything.

Thank you for taking the time to post, I am throughly enjoying your review!!

There is no formal night on any NCL cruise.

I have a question for you, is the Viva Vino wine package available to purchase before boarding, or just on board?? I've been trying to find a link for it and keep coming up empty.

Viva Vino is only available onboard.

I can't tell from the fine print on the bottom. Does the * on the Chef's signature dish mean it's an additional charge or is it included as well?

It is included. The asterisk refers to a note about raw or undercooked meat, which is just a standard warning they have on almost all the menus.

I can't tell from the fine print on the bottom. Does the * on the Chef's signature dish mean it's an additional charge or is it included as well?

The * there is the warning for raw or undercooked food potentially causing illness - so it's by all the beef/fish items.

I hope you don't mind me answering the questions megacruiser. I thought I'd help out so you can concentrate on the review.

I much appreciate it! I have never done a cruise and am booked on the Escape so I am loving all this info and know very little!

I hope you don't mind me answering the questions megacruiser. I thought I'd help out so you can concentrate on the review.

Thanks Keith, I was going to answer but hoped someone would jump in. Nearly ready for tonight's posts; just bringing it all together. Sorry I am so slow.

Regards

megacruiser

Before the meal let me mention the Viva Vino wine packages. My wine package was bought when I was at the Illusionarium and I was unfamiliar with the new list, so played safe by ordering the Connoisseur package. That might be what it is called but in no way do I have any such grandiose pretensions as regards my own appreciation of alleged better wines. One thing that attracted me in that package was the Conundrum White Blend which I have enjoyed before. As far as the Reds go, I wasn’t sure but felt I would have most flexibility and find something I liked over the course of six bottles, because you can order from a lower package level too.

VivaVino1-0001_zps67923724.jpg

VivaVino2-0003_zpsb8ef9c3e.jpg

I would previously have ordered the Aficionado package, because I love the Estancia Pinot Noir that used to be included within it; and that is still available by the glass within the UBP limit. That wine has now gone from the packages and no Pinot Noir now appears. That is rather ironic, especially when you read the following page from NCL’s Wine List (full list to come later)...

Wine%20List%20Pinot%20Noir-8430_zpsq52drmfr.jpg

Looking at the list there seems no rhyme or reason for what is included and what isn’t, especially when you look at the price point. For my meal at Le Bistro I tried the Hogue Merlot priced at $45 on the Wine List. This was the 2008 vintage which sounds good, but it has a screw cap. Now I have nothing against screw caps but really have never before seen one enclose a seven year old bottle of wine. Anyway, I had high expectations but it was very disappointing to my taste buds. It actually tasted as if it was past its best, which got my suspicious mind working overtime... Were some of these wines on the new list excess-stock that NCL has got from its supplier on a special deal?

The red I settled on is the Oberon Cabernet Sauvignon priced at $54 a bottle. Also in the Connoisseur package is NCL’s own label North and South Red Blend at £32 a bottle. Where’s the logic there?

Only having later had time to digest the list do I realise that there is an Errazuriz “Estate” series Merlot on the cheapest package. If that is the bottle with the blue cap then it is a higher end category from within the various wines that Errazuriz sells. I sampled that wine recently when I bought it in the Duty Free shop at the airport, and it was the equivalent of $18. I notice it currently retails in ASDA in the UK (Walmart-owned) at $15. My tip for ordinary wine drinkers like me - give it a try. It really is very quaffable and smooth, with no nasty edge or aftertaste; not miles away from that Pinot Noir I liked. It’s only $29 a bottle too...

Le Bistro is undoubtedly the biggest bargain for special dining on NCL, at only $20 extra per person. It offers a consistently high standard of cooking and over the years I have never had a bad meal; maybe only an occasional slight disappointment. Quality ingredients are freshly prepared for a relatively small number of people, so proper care and attention to detail is ensured. You really can taste the difference and the food served cannot in any way by compared to the mass-produced meals served in the Main Dining Rooms. Service is also a bit more formal and correct, adding to the sense of occasion. Be warned this is one specialty restaurant that frequently gets fully booked, so best book on the first day.

Hogue Merlot 2008, disappointing...

Dining%20BISTRO%20Wine%20Hogue%20Merlot-7493_zpsf1zmgpnt.jpg

Le Bistro Menu...

Dining%20Bistro%20Menu-8449_zps5uko6obm.jpg

Amuse Bouche, tasty smoked salmon spread...

Dining%20BISTRO%20Amuse%20Bouche-7486_zpsohmjurib.jpg

I always have the Mushroom Soup. It’s the best I have ever tasted. Intense mushroom flavour... very rich and satisfying.

Dining%20BISTRO%20Mushroom%20Soup-7490_zpsxoufafr1.jpg

Coquilles St Jacques... Scallops just cooked just enough without being raw. Very good...

Dining%20BISTRO%20Scallops-6939_zpsprrdsbm3.jpg

Dining20BISTRO20Scallops20full-7498_zpsdojjludg.jpg

Duo de Canard... The Breast was perfectly cooked pink. The slow cooked Confit Leg was much juicier and tastier...

Dining%20BISTRO%20Duck-6941_zpsbxvtycqr.jpg

I substituted Gratin Potatoes, lovely...

Dining%20BISTRO%20Duck-7503_zpstwfseydj.jpg

Dessert Menu...

Dining%20BISTRO%20Dessert%20Menu-7506_zpszwgisxqu.jpg

The Apple Tarte Tatin is a safe bet. Very thin apple slices caramelised on a crisp pastry base...

Dining%20BISTRO%20Apple%20Tarte%20Tatin-7513_zpskkhysoxw.jpg

Digestif Menu...

Dining%20BISTRO%20Digestif%20Menu%202-7509_zpsv4mvq8ng.jpg

Le Bistro is located across the passage from Headliners which is home to the comedy shows and Howl at the Moon duelling pianos...

Deck%206%20Bistro%20Headliners-8459_zps5artkkvv.jpg

After my meal I took the remaining wine with me and walked across to Headliners. Got a fresh glass and enjoyed the remainder whilst watching the comedy show.

Seats are however very upright and not that comfortable...

Headliners%20Comedian%20Host-7521_zpsoxxqoehr.jpg

The host does a warm up session for 20 minutes or so...

Headliners%20Comedian%20Host-7527_zpsnsyj5hfo.jpg

Then the main act comes on...

Headliners%20Comedian1-7531_zpsgctstj48.jpg

American humour can be slightly different in general to British, but these guys were quite funny. I didn’t split my sides but was amused enough to stay... Be aware these late night shows contain adult humour.

Tomorrow is my day off so I hope to make more progress... thanks for your patience.

I really enjoyed reading your detailed review and the accompanying pictures. I'm debating which speciality restaurant to repeat and you had helped with my final decision. Le Bistro it is! My family would just need to come along. Thanks!

Thank you. Wonderful review. I'm devouring all the reviews I can find on the Getaway - we are sailing NCL for the first time in December. (We've only sailed Princess so far.) This looks like a fabulous ship! I love all the pictures - especially of the menus. Yummmm.

Another follower here. We have booked the Getaway for our 2016 cruise and am enjoying your review! Thank you for taking the time to do this!

Another follower here! October 31st will be my sixth Norwegian Cruise ,but it will be my first mega ship cruise. Your review has certainly upped the degree of anticipation.thank you so very much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for taking the time to write your reviews, they really are fabulous.

We're on the Getaway this May for the first time and thoroughly looking forward to it. It was after stumbling upon your review of the Epic a few weeks ago that I was totally convinced that we 'really' needed to take advantage of the great offers/prices and grabbed a B6 with free UBP and UDP on a 10 day November trip. :D

One of the best reviews....you really have a great writing style. You keep your readers engaged and wanting more. What is your profession? I bet you're some type of writer or instructor? We're sailing Breakaway out of New York again in September, and this review of her sister ship 🚢 has me excited for our sailing 👏👏

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Before moving on to Day 3, at this point I want to start my Deck Tours with Deck 8, my favourite. I will start by taking you around the Waterfront to explore the outdoor areas...

List of venues’ location by category...

Deck%20Destinations-_zpspulkx64g.jpg

Deck 8 Plan...

Deck%208%20Plan%20Big-_zpsc5hww5ln.jpg

Carlo’s Bake Shop...

Deck%208%20CARLOS%20-%20WATERFRONT%20DOOR-7616_zps0blgeyzr.jpg

Deck%208%20CARLOS%20Display-7623_zpszh4zxuev.jpg

Deck%208%20CARLOS%20Cakes-7618_zpshhczkarv.jpg

Deck%208%20CARLOS%20Cakes%20small-7620_zpsjbjijrbx.jpg

Gelato Counter...

Deck%208%20CARLOS%20Gelato-7627_zps6jl5ctnp.jpg

Deck%208%20gelato%20display-8385_zpslfdoix9p.jpg

Outside Moderno Starboard side...

Deck%208%20%20starbrd%20towards%20moderno-7906_zpssvjndta8.jpg

Deck%208%20Moderno%20outside-7628_zpskubp2oid.jpg

Round the stern where Moderno joins Cagneys...

Deck%208%20Moderno%20to%20Cagneys%20stern-7632_zpsoh7shgse.jpg

Cagneys...

Deck%208%20cagney%20out%20night-8633_zpspolud6kj.jpg

Deck%208%20deco%20seats%20caagneys-8636_zpsegpgnxo7.jpg

Sugarcane...

Deck%208%20outdoor%20Sugarcane-7642_zpsu0ehfnwz.jpg

Deck%208%20sunset%20out-8124_zpssfbqr4dg.jpg

Outside Tradewinds Shops towards La Cucina...

Deck%208%20outdoor%20from%20Tadewinds-7640_zpsguakeiha.jpg

La Cucina... Deck%208%20LA%20CUCINA%20OUT%20DINERS-8123_zpshvohk2es.jpg

Edited by megacruiser

La Cucina...

Deck%208%20la%20cucina%20outside-_zps3b1qqdpr.jpg

Chess Board forward of Grammy’s...

Deck%208%20outdoors%20chess%20and%20sign-_zpsm1jqwtli.jpg

Grammy’s...

Deck%208%20grammy%20out-7910_zpste9gkvyc.jpg

Sunset Bar...

Deck%208%20outdoor%20Sunset%20Bar-7653_zpsfmbww9n6.jpg

Deck%208%20outdoors%20sunset-8655_zpsokwl3btr.jpg

Deck%208%20outdoors%20sunset-_zpsuhirbh87.jpg

Edited by megacruiser

Ocean Blue...

Deck%208%20Ocean%20Blue%20Outside-7669_zpsw98blgzk.jpg

View of Wasabi...

Deck%208%20outdoors-8649_zps2aa6n7ul.jpg

Deck%208%20Ocean%20Blue%20Outside%20Night-7680_zpsef8xjs74.jpg

That concludes the tour round the perimeter of The Waterfront. Next will be indoors on Deck 8, where the outdoor venues also operate...

That's it for tonight folks. I had hoped to cover the whole of Deck 8 at once, but it didn't work out that way and it's now gone 1am. I will post the remainder tomorrow. Good night.