Aft Oceanview Cabins on Amsterdam Main Deck

CuriousC

Has anyone had any experience with the aft cabins on Main Deck of the Amsterdam, specifically #2713? It looks a bit larger than the other OV staterooms and the location seems very convenient (ie, just out the door and up the stairs to the promenade deck).

No personal experience, however I sailed to Alaska on the Amsterdam's wonderful 14 day itinerary last May with friends who happened to book 2715 - the cabin right next door to the one you inquired about. I visited them in their cabin many times, and it appeared so much larger than a regular oceanview. They chose to have the beds remain apart rather than together as one large bed, and that afforded even more room and the ability to go right up to the window to look out over that small 'secret' public deck on the aft of the ship. Just one flight of steps up to the largest balcony on the ship;) too! They had no issues w/noise, etc., loved the size and location of that cabin and said they'd happily choose that cabin again.

I have stayed in an ocean view on the Main deck, just three cabins from the aft and it was very convenient to get outside quickly to enjoy the spectacular aft views - particularly in Alaska. I've also stayed in one of the two 'secret' cabins on the aft of Deck 7 (7056)and LOVED it. To me, 7056 was better than a balcony cabin because just five steps out the cabin door to that little known and little used aft deck that spans the width of the ship. Just one flight of stairs up to the aft Lido pool/Seaview Bar/Lido Restaurant. Excellent location as well. Would book 7056 (or even its sister cabin, 7055) on the Amsterdam in a heartbeat!

• Like 1

7055 and 7056 both have the staircase obstructing some of the view.

2713 is low and noisy outside on that little deck. Not sure how the sound transfers to inside the ship and inside that cabin, but probably not much. That deck is not one to spend time on, whereas the one for 7055/56 is lovely for viewing.

It is a toss up: 2713 has the better view; 7055/56 has a better location.

7055 definitely is the most obstructed with the staircase crossing right in front of the window. I wouldn't say that 7056 is obstructed at all from a full on straight view out the window. The staircase is to the left of the window and does interfere w/your direct line of sight to the aft. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to book either of these 2 cabins due to the quick access to that aft deck, which is indeed peaceful, never crowded and quite large with several loungers and small tables. Wonderful for a quick and quiet nap while staring at the wake. Believe me, I know;)....

I since asked my friends who sailed in 2715 last May and they said they had experienced no noise issues from inside the cabin. Granted being out on that aft deck on the Main isn't ideal for several reasons - there is a constant mechanical noise (almost like a fan sound?), as well as the solid super structure of the aft of the ship, which requires you to stand to see out. Whereas, the open railings on the aft of the Navigation deck (7) are such that being seated is not an issue. That being said, the aft on the Main deck provides easy access to the great outdoors, and as I said previously, just one short flight of steps up to the Promenade.

Thanks for the additional info. I think we'll be going with the main deck cabin next sailing but while onboard, plan to check out deck 7 as well for future reference. I didn't even notice those two cabins on the deck plans and appreciate you pointing them out.

Thanks for the additional info. I think we'll be going with the main deck cabin next sailing but while onboard, plan to check out deck 7 as well for future reference. I didn't even notice those two cabins on the deck plans and appreciate you pointing them out.

That is a great idea. Always look to the next cruise!

• 2 months later...
7055 and 7056 both have the staircase obstructing some of the view.

2713 is low and noisy outside on that little deck. Not sure how the sound transfers to inside the ship and inside that cabin, but probably not much. That deck is not one to spend time on, whereas the one for 7055/56 is lovely for viewing.

It is a toss up: 2713 has the better view; 7055/56 has a better location.

Can you see inside those 2 aft cabins at night if the drapes are drawn open?

We actually checked it out when we had 7056 and our friends had 7055, and no, you couldn't see in at night with the drapes open....well, not unless someone goes right up to the window and presses their face against the glass.:rolleyes: Even then, it was more of just seeing blurry shapes, not an actual clear view.

• 3 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2015 at 10:05 AM, CuriousC said:

Has anyone had any experience with the aft cabins on Main Deck of the Amsterdam, specifically #2713? It looks a bit larger than the other OV staterooms and the location seems very convenient (ie, just out the door and up the stairs to the promenade deck).

WE have been assigned to cabin 2713 on our next sailing.  Was wondering what your experience was with that cabin?

1 hour ago, jennaja said:

WE have been assigned to cabin 2713 on our next sailing.  Was wondering what your experience was with that cabin?

Hi Jennaja,

Personally, we really liked the cabin and were very happy there.  We found it to be wider than most.  Usually, the bedside tables are right up against the wall but this one had at least a foot and perhaps more extra space on both sides of the bed.  Easy access to the dining room, the promenade deck and great views out the back door from where you've been.  We also found it to be quieter, as these back cabins are a little bit off the main hallway.  The cabin also had a nice sitting area with a loveseat and adjustable table, and lots of closet and drawer space.  I wouldn't hesitate to book it again.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CuriousC said:

Hi Jennaja,

Personally, we really liked the cabin and were very happy there.  We found it to be wider than most.  Usually, the bedside tables are right up against the wall but this one had at least a foot and perhaps more extra space on both sides of the bed.  Easy access to the dining room, the promenade deck and great views out the back door from where you've been.  We also found it to be quieter, as these back cabins are a little bit off the main hallway.  The cabin also had a nice sitting area with a loveseat and adjustable table, and lots of closet and drawer space.  I wouldn't hesitate to book it again.

Hi CuriousC,

How was the view from the cabin?   What was the obstruction?  When you lie in bed, can you see out the window, or is the window behind the bed?  Was there much noise from either the engines or the anchors?  

We booked an unobstructed outside oceanview guarantee, and from what I've seen posted, it seems like the view is definitely obstructed.

20 hours ago, jennaja said:

Hi CuriousC,

How was the view from the cabin?   What was the obstruction?  When you lie in bed, can you see out the window, or is the window behind the bed?  Was there much noise from either the engines or the anchors?  

We booked an unobstructed outside oceanview guarantee, and from what I've seen posted, it seems like the view is definitely obstructed.

There is a stairway in about the middle of the aft deck so from 2713, you might notice it a little bit to the right of your window frame when looking out from your cabin.  I guess that's what might be referred to as an "obstruction".  We didn't find it bothersome but we tend not to spend very much time in our cabin. If you want to take photos, head outside or up the stairwell to the promenade deck.  There are some mechanical noises outside on that aft deck (not sure what they're related to) but it was quiet inside the cabin.  We did notice a little bit of noise in the morning when docking but by then, it was usually time to get up to start the day.  You are correct - the window is behind the bed so you can't see out while in bed - you have to turn around.  Also, I don't think there is a bathtub in any of those 3 aft cabins - only a shower.   Hope this helps somewhat.  If you go on to the HAL website, you can check out the various ships and deck plans, and there's also photos of the various cabin types (inside, oceanview, veranda, etc.) which will show you the layouts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CuriousC said:

There is a stairway in about the middle of the aft deck so from 2713, you might notice it a little bit to the right of your window frame when looking out from your cabin.  I guess that's what might be referred to as an "obstruction".  We didn't find it bothersome but we tend not to spend very much time in our cabin. If you want to take photos, head outside or up the stairwell to the promenade deck.  There are some mechanical noises outside on that aft deck (not sure what they're related to) but it was quiet inside the cabin.  We did notice a little bit of noise in the morning when docking but by then, it was usually time to get up to start the day.  You are correct - the window is behind the bed so you can't see out while in bed - you have to turn around.  Also, I don't think there is a bathtub in any of those 3 aft cabins - only a shower.   Hope this helps somewhat.  If you go on to the HAL website, you can check out the various ships and deck plans, and there's also photos of the various cabin types (inside, oceanview, veranda, etc.) which will show you the layouts.

CuriousC,

Thank you for all your help.  I appreciate it!  Even the HAL reps don't seem to know much about the individual cabins.

we are booked down the hall on 2697 later this summer.  Strangely the description indicated that these rooms have partially obstructed view...can't imagine from what however.

Glad to hear that this area is relatively quiet and the easy access to the private deck is a great perk to this location.

• Like 1