Stockholm Advice thread 2015

Making a plan for our 1 day stop in Stockholm.

Desdichado62: could you take a look at it below and advise if this is doable?

General

Ship location: S167 STADSGÅRDEN

Day: Monday 17 August - doesn't seem there are a lot of activities going on, so I guess we'll concentrate on the sights.

Arrival: 9AM, depart at 5PM.

My general 'plan' is to get to Vasa museum as early as possible and then travel counterclockwise to Gamla Stan and back to the ship.

First stop: Vasa Museum

Thinking about either taking the ferry or a taxi. According to Google Maps, the ferry berth (Masthamnen) is very close to the ship and a ferry should leave at 9:28AM.

The concern I have with that is that everyone on the ship will have the same idea. Also, that might be cutting it close, since it also involves getting off the ship and walking.

Not sure about the Hop-On Hop-Off boats. There should be, but no idea if there are direct ones, when they start operating, and how long it takes to Vasa.

That's why I'm also considering a taxi. I compared some prices, and it should cost around 200 SEK (21 euro) in total. Should take about 20 minutes driving, depending traffic.

Visit to Vasa museum about 1.5-2 hours. Finish visiting the Vasa museum at 12 (noon).

Backtrack to Gamla Stan by public transport (tram or bus) and walking.

Backtrack to Stadsgarden

It should be around lunchtime when we exit the Vasa museum, so I was thinking about looking out for food trucks on our way. Perhaps visit the food market on Skeppsholmen before going to Gamla Stan.

Visit Gamla stan, the old town. Perhaps also Riddarholmen.

Then walk back along the water or take the T-bana and/or bus back to the ship. Depending on how much time is left.

Edited by WouterC

Hi Everyone -

First, again, thank you to Desdichado62 for this posting. It has been incredibly helpful. The very first post in this thread helped me plan my day.

Second, I wanted to share this link. I just came across a fantastic printable walking map that lists all the sites and is very easy to print. I'm posting this in case it helps anyone else! I'm using the map mainly for Old Town / Gamla Stan but it has some surrounding sites, and will help if you want to walk from Vasa to Old Town.

http://www.talkofthetown.se/bilder/en-map-talkofthetown-all-56.pdf

Visit to Vasa museum about 1.5-2 hours. Finish visiting the Vasa museum at 12 (noon).

So that you aren't wandering aimlessly around Gamla Stan, I'd recommend photocopying the "Self-Guided Walking Tour" from the Rick Steves "Northern European Cruise Ports" guidebook or taking the Stockholm Free Walking Tour that begins outside the T-station in Gamla Stan at 1 pm. The walking tour (tips for guide only) lasts 90 minutes and the Rick Steves tour should take you about the same amount of time.

http://www.stockholmfreetour.com/

Originally Posted by WouterC

General

Day: Monday 17 August - doesn't seem there are a lot of activities going on, so I guess we'll concentrate on the sights.

Perhaps visit the food market on Skeppsholmen before going to Gamla Stan.

The food market on Skeppsholmen unfortunately is only there on saturday and sunday

Edited by cosab

General

My general 'plan' is to get to Vasa museum as early as possible and then travel counterclockwise to Gamla Stan and back to the ship.

Thinking about either taking the ferry or a taxi. According to Google Maps, the ferry berth (Masthamnen) is very close to the ship and a ferry should leave at 9:28AM.

The concern I have with that is that everyone on the ship will have the same idea. Also, that might be cutting it close, since it also involves getting off the ship and walking.

Not sure about the Hop-On Hop-Off boats. There should be, but no idea if there are direct ones, when they start operating, and how long it takes to Vasa.

That's why I'm also considering a taxi. I compared some prices, and it should cost around 200 SEK (21 euro) in total. Should take about 20 minutes driving, depending traffic.

Backtrack to Stadsgarden

It should be around lunchtime when we exit the Vasa museum, so I was thinking about looking out for food trucks on our way. Perhaps visit the food market on Skeppsholmen before going to Gamla Stan.

Then walk back along the water or take the T-bana and/or bus back to the ship. Depending on how much time is left.

Yeah sounds reasonable, however there is no T-bana to Stadsgården, only bus.

Also regarding the ferry (M/S Emelie), be prepared that they only accepts MasterCard and VISA-card, no cash and no other card brands.

Hi Everyone -

First, again, thank you to Desdichado62 for this posting. It has been incredibly helpful. The very first post in this thread helped me plan my day.

Second, I wanted to share this link. I just came across a fantastic printable walking map that lists all the sites and is very easy to print. I'm posting this in case it helps anyone else! I'm using the map mainly for Old Town / Gamla Stan but it has some surrounding sites, and will help if you want to walk from Vasa to Old Town.

http://www.talkofthetown.se/bilder/en-map-talkofthetown-all-56.pdf

Good find, thanks for sharing.

So that you aren't wandering aimlessly around Gamla Stan, I'd recommend photocopying the "Self-Guided Walking Tour" from the

Rick Steves "Northern European Cruise Ports" guidebook or taking the Stockholm Free Walking Tour that begins outside the T-station in Gamla Stan at 1 pm.

The walking tour (tips for guide only) lasts 90 minutes and the Rick Steves tour should take you about the same amount of time.

http://www.stockholmfreetour.com/

Also see the following posts if you want to do your own walking tour.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46514551&highlight=earth#post46514551

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46209818&highlight=earth#post46209818

Edited by Desdichado62

General

Backtrack to Stadsgarden

Came back from a June 4 cruise on Regal Princess. If you are on this boat and are lucky enough to get to dock in Stockholm, it is at least a mile walk into town. They also have shuttles(charge) there is also a hop on and hop off boat behind the ship. The day we were there the HOHO boat left around8:30. I did not use it but some friends did and they went to the Vasa museum which opened earlier than it was listed. They did also go to Gamma Stan. We were there when the prince got married so we were not allowed in the palace.

I took the ship excursion which gave us a good tour of Stockholm on the bus as well as a tour of the city hall, gamma stan and the vasa museum, lunch at a tavern in gamma stan and about an hour or more to wander the gamma stan area after a 1/2 hr tour of the area. We made it back to the boat close to departure. In fact they called my room looking for me. Would have been a little worried if not on a ship trip. If we had to dock in Nysham(whatever it is called) the timing would have been different and travel would have been different. My friends on the HOHO boat also stayed on the boat for the whole ride which they liked. I have no idea how long they stayed at the Vasa or in gamma stan. They didn't seem to do much else on land. Supposedly it was also more crowded in the area because of the wedding when we were there.

We left on our tour around 7:30 and returned around 2:45--boat left at 3.

We were originally told to be back before 2:30.

A lot of great advise on this thread..thanks Desdichado62. We will be in Stockholm Aug. 24,25,26 and will have a car. We are staying out at Biz Apartment Gardet AB and I was just wondering what the parking was like downtown city, old town, Vasa and Skansen and Drottningholm palace? Do you know if there is any free parking (like around Skansen or Vasa)and catching a boat over to old town? Thanks again, rlyans

A lot of great advise on this thread..thanks Desdichado62. We will be in Stockholm Aug. 24,25,26 and will have a car. We are staying out at Biz Apartment Gardet AB and I was just wondering what the parking was like downtown city, old town, Vasa and Skansen and Drottningholm palace? Do you know if there is any free parking (like around Skansen or Vasa)and catching a boat over to old town? Thanks again, rlyans

Best thing is to leave car at where you are staying and use public transport to get around.

Buy a 3 day travel card or Stockholm pass.

Then from you apartment, walk out to the outer most point of Frihamnen pier and go with Sjövägen from there to Allmänna gränd on Djugården.

From Djurgården to Gamla Stan, use Djurgårdsfärjan from Allmänna Gränd or use bus #76 from Djurgårdsbron to Slottsbacken (Royal Palace).

It's very limited with parking places on Djurgården and for central Stockholm, public transport is a better choice then a car.

However there should be plenty of parking spaces at Drottningholm.

Thank you so much for you reply. Do you know if there is any parking out near Vasa or Skansen? (free would be better but pay lots ok) I looked up the ferry Timetable and it 40 min to take the ferry. Driving would be about 10 min. We love to take our car and see more. Thanks again, rlyans

As I wrote there are very limited parking availability at Djurgården and the same goes for Gamla Stan.

Sure you could park at Katarinagaraget which is just south of Slussen which is just south of Gamla Stan, but then you would have to walk back across Slussen and

go with the harbour ferry to Djurgården but this would take just as long as the ferry from Sjövägen.

I understand that you want to see as much as possible, but driving from Gärdet/Frihamnen to Vasa will be like 10-15 min driving, another 10-15 min

driving around looking for somewhere to park, then another 10-15 min looking for a new place to park since the first place was occupied.

Then finally 10-20 minutes walking from/to where you parked to/from Vasa or Skansen.

Bus is probably quicker but you will not see as much as you will by going with the harbour ferries and Stockholm should be experienced form the water just as well as from land.

For Drottningholm, it's a different matter and here a car will get you there much faster then by public transport.

As I said though, for central Stockholm public transport and some walking will get you there faster then a car.

Edited by Desdichado62

Thank you so much for you reply. Do you know if there is any parking out near Vasa or Skansen? (free would be better but pay lots ok) I looked up the ferry Timetable and it 40 min to take the ferry. Driving would be about 10 min. We love to take our car and see more. Thanks again, rlyans

I totally agree with the advice given you by Desdichado. Leave your car at Gärdet where you are staying, except when going to Drottningholm.

I live in Stockholm, in the city, and I have a car. Never would I use the car when I am going somewhere within the city. Public transport is much more convenient. It is quicker, safer and so much easier. Djurgården and Gamla Stan have no parking garages but there are parking garages downtown city. They will cost more than parking in the streets, but there is no free parking anywhere in the city, the streets will also cost. Gamla Stan is very difficult to drive at all and almost impossible to find somewhere to park.

I often visit Skansen and always with public transport. You could take a bus from where you are staying and it takes 7 minutes to Djurgårdsbron, from where you can reach the museums.

The ferries are a nice way to travel in Stockholm but buses and the Metro are most of the time a better option. Do take a ferry at least once, or some sightseeing on a boat, just to see Stockholm from the water.

Hi;

This is my first time on this forum so forgive me if I ask some pretty obvious questions.

We are planning a 13 days cruise with Serenade OTS Royal Caribbean next July (July 24th-Aug 06).

The ship will stay 2 days in Stockholm before it leaves for the 13 days cruise. We plan to arrive on Saturday 23rd so we will have some time to visit Stockholm.

I know it is still a long time but I am starting to do some research and planning.

I am really glad that I found this thread.

So, if we fly to ARN, what is the most convenient way to get to the city?

Where does the cruise ships dock usually?

We are a family of 3. Do the hotels in Stockholm usually have rooms for 3 or we will need to book 2 rooms?

I have not started to make a list of the sites and things we want to visit yet but it will probably be the Vasa Museum, the Old Town ( Gamla Stan?). Probably some shopping since DD will be 17 then and definitely a lot of espresso and cakes.

So here are my questions:

1/ transfer between ARN and hotel?

2/ any hotel suggestion?

3/ transfer between hotel and port? Is there more than one port?

4/ attractions and sites not to be missed?

Thanks in advance for your reply. You will probably see me on this thread quite often from now until next July :-)))

Thanks

Hi;

This is my first time on this forum so forgive me if I ask some pretty obvious questions.

We are planning a 13 days cruise with Serenade OTS Royal Caribbean next July (July 24th-Aug 06).

The ship will stay 2 days in Stockholm before it leaves for the 13 days cruise. We plan to arrive on Saturday 23rd so we will have some time to visit Stockholm.

I know it is still a long time but I am starting to do some research and planning.

I am really glad that I found this thread.

So, if we fly to ARN, what is the most convenient way to get to the city?

Where does the cruise ships dock usually?

We are a family of 3. Do the hotels in Stockholm usually have rooms for 3 or we will need to book 2 rooms?

I have not started to make a list of the sites and things we want to visit yet but it will probably be the Vasa Museum, the Old Town ( Gamla Stan?). Probably some shopping since DD will be 17 then and definitely a lot of espresso and cakes.

So here are my questions:

1/ transfer between ARN and hotel?

2/ any hotel suggestion?

3/ transfer between hotel and port? Is there more than one port?

4/ attractions and sites not to be missed?

Thanks in advance for your reply. You will probably see me on this thread quite often from now until next July :-)))

Thanks

The most convenient transport option are either Taxi or the Airport express train.

The docking location varies between Frihamnen or Stadsgårdskajen (S167) and it's not know yet which one they will use on that particular trip.

I would advise to check port of Stockholm website sometime during October-December to check the list of vessel calls for 2016.

As for hotels. there are some posts linked from the first post (under "Where to stay") in the first post.

If you want something quite original, perhaps Hotel Skeppsholmen?

Located at the former Navy yard at Skeppsholmen in a house that is over 300 years old. I think you should be ok with one room but it would be advised to check with the hotel.

Central Stockholm is basically one large port with quays along the islands that makes Stockholm.

It has several berthing locations (see above).

Bus or taxi would be the best options depending where you decide to stay.

For attractions and sites not to be missed, see first post as well as these two posts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46209818&highlight=earth#post46209818

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46514551&highlight=earth#post46514551

We'll be on the Regal Princess, coming into Stockholm on Aug. 29. We're scheduled for Nynashamn, but a couple of times this summer the Regal has docked at Stadsgardskajen, weather permitting and availability of an appropriate docking space.. Unfortunately, Stadsgardskajen already has another ship scheduled for Aug. 29, but Frihamnen looks to be available (on the Ports of Stockholm site).

My question is: Is Frihamnen as large as Stadsgardskajen, since the Regal is pretty big? If it's not, at least I'll know to not get my hopes up for cooperative weather....

Thanks

Sue

We'll be on the Regal Princess, coming into Stockholm on Aug. 29. We're scheduled for Nynashamn, but a couple of times this summer the Regal has docked at Stadsgardskajen, weather permitting and availability of an appropriate docking space.. Unfortunately, Stadsgardskajen already has another ship scheduled for Aug. 29, but Frihamnen looks to be available (on the Ports of Stockholm site).

My question is: Is Frihamnen as large as Stadsgardskajen, since the Regal is pretty big? If it's not, at least I'll know to not get my hopes up for cooperative weather....

Thanks

Sue

I don't know if Frihamnen can handle the Regal Princess. However Celebrity's Solstice ships can berth at Frihamnen but those ships are slightly smalle than the Regal Princess.

Speaking of maps, I found this great map:

http://www.orangesmile.com/travelguide/stockholm/high-resolution-maps.htm

The great thing about this map is that you can also see the Stadsgarden cruise docks with numbers.

Also, you can create your own walk using the website Tripomatic - I'm not affiliated in any way with this website.

They have got good detail for Stockholm. You can select what you want to see, and then press 'edit' and move the icons in the order you want to visit. Then you can print the map if you are happy with it.

Edited by WouterC

Hi

We will be on the Regal Princess due to dock in Nynashamn on Tuesday 18th. Does anyone know if the train to Stockholm is now working or if there are still works. If so, do we have to get a bus and a train and where do we pick this up

thanks for all your help

Fantastic news about the trains. We will be there in Sept and although I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can dock in Stockholm proper, it's good to know that the trains are running in case we sail to Nynashamn.

Fantastic news about the trains. We will be there in Sept and although I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can dock in Stockholm proper, it's good to know that the trains are running in case we sail to Nynashamn.

Hi,

you were going on the Regal Princess, I think?

You can see the schedule here:

http://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/#imo=9584724

If you have another ship, click on 'Vessel calls' and chose 'Search by date' from the pick list.