Satnav22

Eco power

Hi all
First let me say I am what some would describe as a petrol head not very eco in my thinking but have been listening to the news about the lagoon power generating idea for around the UK coast. What do people think of putting a tidal generating barrier across the Wash with a road running over it? In my mind this would be a win win situation allowing a shortcut from East Lincolnshire to the South east

A huge amount of money went into investigating the feasibility of a similar scheme in the Bristol Channel but the ecological impact would have been vast. This is not taking into account the huge issues of quarrying sufficient stone from somewhere and lorry load after lorry load trundling through sensitive countryside to create the new roadways. Thankfully the cost seems to have put it to bed ... for now!

A similar site was the Solway Firth, between Scotland and England.
The tidal height is important- tides are generally much higher on the west coast than the east. The 2nd highest tide in the world is in the Bristol Channel, which can reach 15 metres at spring tides; the south Wales coast isn't much lower.
When the Solway Firth was being examined, it was found that no tide was lower than 5 metres, even at low tide/spring tide, and a constant 5 metres was necessary. I'm not sure that can be matched on the east coast.

I think we do have start accepting some of these new ideas. Yes there will always be downsides but unless we starting changing our thinking we are heading for trouble. I also don't like to think about the hold that oil and gas rich countries will have over us, so we do need to start generating huge amounts of our own power.
It's the same here on the south coast with the planned wind farm...yes it will spoil the view a bit but it's the price we absolutely have to pay. I am very encouraged about some of the new technologies such as wind, tidal and solos power and think we have got to go ahead with it.