Time in Stavanger to cruise Pulpit Rock on our own?

OBX Cruisers

We will be on the Viking Star in Stavanger on Wednesday, August 5 and would like to book on Rodne ourselves for their 3 hour cruise to Pulpit Rock. (Much less expensive than through Viking.) Only problem is their trips that Wednesday depart at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. We may not dock in time to make their 10 a.m. trip. (Also not sure if we will be at pier or have to tender.)

The Star is supposed to depart at 6 p.m. but we don't know the "All Aboard" time so are hesitant to take the 2 p.m. cruise which wouldn't get us back until 5 p.m. Would really appreciate it if anyone on the first cruise dates could let us know the actual times in Stavanger.

We were planning on the Rodne cruise as well ($119 for two vs $149/ea). We are in maiden voyage. Our departure time is stated as 5:00, with 10:00 arrival so it knocked out the opportunity to take either of the Rodne cruises. I worked with Rodne directly and they cannot adjust their times due to people hopping off to hike Pulpit Rock and getting back in time. So for us it was pay to play if we wanted the experience. I also contacted Viking directly and no flexibility on port times. Of course, we might arrive early and be able to catch the 10:00 but we sure couldnt plan on it. If you leave at 6:00 maybe you could pull it off.

Rick Steves does post a warning on being careful with the timing - not sure why. Just an FYI. Sure hope it works out for you. Viking pricing is way higher than it seems it should be.

We have the same issue with timing the boat tour. I found another company called norled, check their website http://www.norled.no. Schedule shows a departure at 12:15, return 3:15. Special rate for seniors which is less than Rodne. Let us know if you think this would be a good option.

Janice

Jan3, thank you for that tip. I had previously contacted the tourism office in Stavanger asking about additional options and was told that they were not aware of any outside of Rodne.

I just went onto this Norled website and have sent an inquiry to them. It appears that they do not operate until June 1st, which could be a great option for cruises after the maiden. If I hear back that they will offer us during May I will post here. But I hope it at least turns into a great opportunity for those following our trip in May.

Jan3 - We thank you too for the tip on Norled cruises to Pulpit Rock. I had looked at their web site earlier but it didn't include any weekday trips. Might have been too early for them to be posted.

Here's a little bit comparing Norled and Rodne I found over on Tripadvisor for 2014 - "Rodne's and Norled's pier is next to each other in Stavanger. Boats are the same catamarans.The ticket is 380 NOK at Norled and 420 NOK at Rodne. Norled goes once a day 12:15, while Rodne twice (10:00 and 14:00) or three times (July and August extra departure Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 12:00). In service and in the itinerary there is no difference, they go halfway on Lysefjord from Stavanger . . . I chose Rodne because we were on a cruise ship and this was the only one that fit into our program. It was really nice. We saw nice little villages, waterfalls and cute goats. If you want to sample the waterfall's water you need to be downstairs. Book your ticket in advance, by 10 o'clock both were sold out".

Norled's price s now 340 NOK for seniors (67+). We just make the age requirement:) $43 compared to the Viking excursion of $149 wins "hands down." Their 12:15 - 3:15 p.m. timing is also perfect. Our schedule in port is 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. It doesn't include the "waffles at Helleren" but those are very expensive waffles!

We'll be booking online early with Norled to guarantee a spot. Not refundable through them, but we'll include in our insurance and use our Visa in case there's any problem. They require 15 passengers to sail but that shouldn't be a problem if I advertise on our July 25 Roll Call.

I have the initial green light from Norled for making an early run for those of us on the maiden voyage. Yeah! I have responded with specific questions that would apply to any of us regardless of sailing date. Hopefully I will be able to post tomorrow with the information.

I just heard back from Norled. The following details:

Their cruise is 2 1/2 hrs vs 3 on Rodne because the ship and engine is larger so that getting to mouth of the fjord is faster. Same itinerary

The age for senior rate begins at 67 (340NOK vs 420nok for adults under 67) so standard rate for adults converts to a little under $60USD each vs $149ea that Viking wants with a waffle stop added)

Their first email said they would take names to reserve for us, the second responded that they do not take reservations - they need 20 people to run the cruise

They are in the same harbor as we will dock so walking to is only a few minutes.

They have enough indoor seating for all passengers with large windows. They also have outdoor seating on the top deck for the best viewing once in the fjord.

For the maiden voyage, they will run a boat - there are 4 ships in this date (ouch) with my calculations adding over 8,000 passengers in total.

My email response this morning back is to clarify if they will take reservations from us to confirm space - which is critical - particularly with this many passengers in port. I also asked if we could walk over when we dock to buy tickets, then return at sailing time (to avoid waiting in lines during precious port time). I will post those answers and this information on roll calls once gathered.

Edited by Vineyard View

Just received confirmation from

Norled that they will take reservations from us - for space on the boat (holds 180) but not specific seats. We can purchase tickets early to avoid lines or arrive a good 30 min early to purchase. I will gather names on the roll calls for those who want to join! I think this is a great option. Lmk if you are interested on the maiden voyage trip.

• 2 weeks later...

We're on the July 25 voyage out of Bergen and will be in Stavanger on August 5. The Norled price for the Pulpit Rock cruise is even cheaper than expected! Evidently the 8% VAT is included in the original price you see on the Web site. They reduce your ticket price by this 8% after you enter your credit card information. You'll see the amount detailed on the Receipt which you'll be able to print out in PDF along with the "Travel Document/Round Trip Ticket." For a senior 67+ price comes to 314.82 NOK or approximately $39. Whoopie!

OBx cruisers, so you were able to book and pay in advance? I was told I couldn't pay ahead, but maybe that is because they are running a cruise before their standard June 1 start date.......they took our reservation for space so that is a sense of security.

Yes, we were able to pay in advance online and actually print off our tickets. I'm sure that is because we are within their usual season and they are set up to do this. Fairly easy process online. Just choose FJORDCRUISE tab. My only problem was that it's hard to see the very faint radial button under the "Sun-Thur" option. (Or maybe that was because I'm in the middle week of cataract surgery:)

I think it's wonderful that you were able to arrange with them to have an earlier cruise to Pulpit Rock for the Viking maiden voyage even though it's their "off season." I've been following your very useful posts re Stavanger over on "Ports of Call". Maybe you want to let folks on the other 3 ships in port that day know about how to sign up for the "independent" cruise? Or are you concerned there may be too much interest? I will add info there on how to sign up for the Norled August 5 cruise. Now to find the best place to get waffles, berries, and whipped cream in Stavanger:)

Vineyard View - Off-topic, but sounds like you may be arranging quite a few excursions on your own. I'd really appreciate it if you let us know when you return how easy it is to get off the Star quickly for private excursions. I know on Oceania we had to wait for all the ship's excursions to depart first. We still arrived at the sights before all the ship's buses but was a little frustrating.

Did I see somewhere that you're from Virginia? We live in Fredericksburg.

OBX cruisers, I am happy to do that. We are actually Northern CA. You are actually sailing with very treasured friends of ours and spending 2 days in SPB together on your tour! Small world.

I may go back to Norled just to make sure they can't set up a pre-pay option for this now that I know it is possible during their regular season......they have been terrific to work with! Norled doesn't seem too concerned about people for the trip, but that is a great idea and I will also ask her about posting on other sites....thanks much!

Vineyard View - Off-topic, but sounds like you may be arranging quite a few excursions on your own. I'd really appreciate it if you let us know when you return how easy it is to get off the Star quickly for private excursions. I know on Oceania we had to wait for all the ship's excursions to depart first. We still arrived at the sights before all the ship's buses but was a little frustrating.

Did I see somewhere that you're from Virginia? We live in Fredericksburg.

This is a good question. Will Viking let independents get off the ship the same time as their excursions? This will make a difference in the time you book a tour.

We have just completed our 8th cruise with Oceania and we always got off the ship at tender ports with the first ship's excursion. Never a problem. Just told them we had to get off to met our private tour and we were on the first tender boat.

I was in Stavanger a couple of years ago on the Queen Victoria on a short Fjords cruise from the UK. I pre-booked a tour by boat to Pulpit Rock with Rodne, this was very easy to do and the departure point was very close to the cruise ship birth (5 minutes walk).

Just a word of warning that low cloud on the day (we were there in the summer) prevented us from seeing Pulpit Rock from the boat. The trip was still worthwhile and is recommended and then if you can see Pulpit Rock then look upon this as a bonus.

I really feel sorry for you guys that will miss the cruise to Flam up the fjord as this was our destination the following day, the cruise in and out of Flam was fantastic, but well done to those of you getting the train so you can take the mountain railway down to Flam as this is a fantastic journey as well.

Neil

Neilp57 - thanks for letting us know that the fjord is still worthwhile with cloud cover - my understanding is that during May weather can have a broad range of options! Both Norled and Rodne are located within the same harbor that we will dock so should be easy access.

We were really disappointed about Flam....but next best thing, a good number of us booked Norway in a Nutshell (NiN) out of Bergen - so we will have the opportunity to ride the Flambana rail, and cruise on the fjord - at least part of it.

Terrier1- I think that there are only a couple tendered ports that may be a concern if there is a pecking order - and I am comfortable with the tour operators knowing how it rolls, so to speak, and will be waiting for you with your name on a sign even it you can't get off the ship first.

Edited by Vineyard View

Yes, we were able to pay in advance online and actually print off our tickets. I'm sure that is because we are within their usual season and they are set up to do this. Fairly easy process online. Just choose FJORDCRUISE tab. My only problem was that it's hard to see the very faint radial button under the "Sun-Thur" option. (Or maybe that was because I'm in the middle week of cataract surgery:)

I think it's wonderful that you were able to arrange with them to have an earlier cruise to Pulpit Rock for the Viking maiden voyage even though it's their "off season." I've been following your very useful posts re Stavanger over on "Ports of Call". Maybe you want to let folks on the other 3 ships in port that day know about how to sign up for the "independent" cruise? Or are you concerned there may be too much interest? I will add info there on how to sign up for the Norled August 5 cruise. Now to find the best place to get waffles, berries, and whipped cream in Stavanger:)

We also booked this tour on line. Looking forward to the cruise. Do you have any idea where we pick up the cruise tour? I emailed Norled.

The contact at Norled who has been assisting me with this 'before the season' cruise is on vacation until next week. At that time I will find out if posting this info on the other cruise lines who will be in port makes sense to assure departure or if they are certain it will go. I will also ask again about paying for the tickets in advance - but since this is before their regular season it may not be possible. They have been great to work with - once I am absolutely sure that they will run the cruise on this date before their regular season - then I will cancel the Viking excursion we paid for - but not before that assurance. This is only because our date in port is prior to their regular season.

• 3 years later...

A group from our cruise did end up taking the trip and enjoyed it very much. It was raining though, as is common in this area in May. The weather would impact you whether you were on a ship sponsored or Independent excursion. I do know that I have read on different threads since this one that people have been happy with this independent option.