WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

while it seems reasonable to try to nudge people into buying the drink package I am thinking this pricing is going to have the opposite affect and lead more people to trying to sneak their booze on board. I tend to drink when I am on vacation so I decided to buy the drink package so this may or may not effect me depending on how they price the drinks i choose to have. however, to charge 10+ for a single shot well mixed drink borders on extortion.

Wow, was on Princess last week and their drink prices are very reasonable.

Keeps me sailing with them;)

yes, but from my experiences on Princess (only 3 cruises so far with them) they don't put any booze in their drinks! Or at least a minimal amount. Could never taste it or feel it. I guess the only way to actually get alcohol in your drinks on Princess is to order whatever you want straight up.

Now HAL, those are some drinks with a punch!

while it seems reasonable to try to nudge people into buying the drink package I am thinking this pricing is going to have the opposite affect and lead more people to trying to sneak their booze on board. I tend to drink when I am on vacation so I decided to buy the drink package so this may or may not effect me depending on how they price the drinks i choose to have. however, to charge 10+ for a single shot well mixed drink borders on extortion.

I totally agree!

:mad: So what now, even if I get the drink package, I will also have to pay $10+ on top of it for a drink on Coco-Cay (because the drink all you can drink package don't work there?)

Think Royal is charging for the "loss" on the packages by charging those who don't buy it.

People will just bring rum runners.

All their prices have gone up. Our cruise we booked in Jan for next year has triple in price. $6800 for 3 in a CAT F ocean view 11 days.. Crazy

Glad I booked it way back then.

It won't make us buy the drink package, but it will make us feel ripped off and even more likely to go with the competition.

We have already given our business to other companies for our next 2 planned cruises. They are taking the rip off too far these days. Goodbye RCI if you don't appreciate our business, Hello NCL and Princess!

Somebody has to pay for the quantum and her two sisters.:D :)

I think there is much truth to that statement :)

Imagine how much income will come from a 40 - 60% increase in drink prices fleetwide when their alcohol costs stay the same

Edited by ryano

:mad: So what now, even if I get the drink package, I will also have to pay $10+ on top of it for a drink on Coco-Cay (because the drink all you can drink package don't work there?)

The drink packages do work on their private islands.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

If you go to Disney World for one day it's $105.00. If you go for 3 days, it is $63.00.

If you buy a drink package, you save money per drink. The more people that buy packages, the lower the cost for the cruise line, but than it becomes a higher cost to buy individual drinks.

It is a new way to market ships. For the most part, a cruise is "all inclusive" by pre-purchase everything you want in your vacation package. Airline/hotel/tips/taxes/cruise ticket/drinks/soda/specialty restarurants/transfers. Pick in choose what you want and it becomes "all inclusive".

The drink package works on Coco Cay and Labadee.

How is it the crews fault that the drink prices increased?

It will not work with me. In fact, I will drink even less now if all cocktails are starting at 10.00 + the tip and I wont be tipping extra like I did in the past.

When you make statements like "I'll be happy to explain it...." you show how superior you THINK you are. Whatever, take your attitude elsewhere. Maybe to a hole in the wall bar.

Please feel free to take your sarcasm and block me. Others have agreed with my point of view, while you have refused to even consider it. That's on you, sir. If you have to have the last word, I won't be seeing it. Once again... Good day.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

You need to make sure you ask for the well bottle or expect to get charged even more. If you let the bartenders pour their choice, they go top shelf. I paid $12 and $14 for drinks on Jewel a couple weeks ago. There were no prices on the menu.

I have to agree with rjrice1; those of us without packages are paying higher prices to make up for the loss on those packages.

How is it the crews fault that the drink prices increased?

They are now getting 18% on every drink I will order. Couple that with a 40-60% increase in said drink and enough is enough. 18% is enough IMHO to make a simple drink. You can continue to throw money at them if you wish. I'm sure it will be appreciated. :)

Cue the "you are a cheapskate" insults in 5,4,3........

Edited by ryano

There is one massive difference between what you might expect to pay in a fancy hip n trendy bar - you are probably only there for a few hours in one night, so can write the extravagance off to a certain degree. When you are on a ship for 14 nights, and maybe paying for a family of 4 those extra 15 dollars a "round" very quickly add up.

The price difference isnt even so much as about comparing RCI bar to a local bar.... its about comparing RCI bar prices now - to RCI bar prices of the very recent past.

We have been on quite a few cruises, only one RCI in the past admittedly, and I will be honest - it was the price that has kept us away for so long. We are not short of money, neither are we cheap - but we don't like the feeling of being screwed over. Royal C customer services cannot even confirm if the ONE drink my husband can tolerate is even part of their package. And now we have to ask how much a drink costs to find out if we are "allowed it" ???!!!

We are both non drinkers, but thanks for your reply!

They are now getting 18% on every drink I will order. Couple that with a 40-60% increase in said drink and enough is enough. 18% is enough IMHO to make a simple drink. You can continue to throw money at them if you wish. I'm sure it will be appreciated. :)

Ditto!

Royal is getting very greedy. I won't be supporting that greed any longer. Enough is enough. Once my booked cruises are over, and I've used my last NCC, I'll be free to book whichever line offers the best value for the money. Maybe that will end up being Royal, maybe Princess. Who knows, maybe that will be Cunard or Seabourn. I'll be looking at 2017 cruises with an open mind.

I'm following this thread because I'm cruising Enchantment in June and I am on the fence about the drink package. I'm not a big drinker but I do enjoy one or two frozen drinks by the pool and another with dinner. Add to that the amount of water I drink, I was leaning toward the package but purchasing it onboard with my OBC. Now I wonder if the price of the packages will increase and if I should buy it now at the current price. This is my 6th cruise but first on RCL. :confused: