Airport / Maison St Charles Hotel?

Cool Cruzer

Hi there! I am hearing very conflicting reports. Can any one tell me if the New Orleans airport is "operational"? I mean..is it like..totally destroyed or did it suffer minimal damage, but can be repaired and re-opened for commercial planes in the near future?

Any one know how Maison St Charles Hotel on St. Charles Avenue in the Garden district fared? Under water? Total wipeout? Just hearing conflicting reports, and I'd like to get the scoop. Thanks in advance!!

Roland

Hi there! I am hearing very conflicting reports. Can any one tell me if the New Orleans airport is "operational"? I mean..is it like..totally destroyed or did it suffer minimal damage, but can be repaired and re-opened for commercial planes in the near future?

Any one know how Maison St Charles Hotel on St. Charles Avenue in the Garden district fared? Under water? Total wipeout? Just hearing conflicting reports, and I'd like to get the scoop. Thanks in advance!!

Roland

The airport did get damage, but it is definitely not completely distroyed. I saw some pictures (I think it was on the airport website) - it didn't look as bad as many of the other areas in New Orleans. I'm sure it will take a couple of months to clean it up and repair it, but who's going to work there until housing is fixed, know what I mean?

Just know that New Orleans is totally

"un-operational" and will be for many months to come. From my information, no cruise ships will be operating from New Orleans for many, many months to come. Conquest will be moved to Florida. However, all other cruise ships are simply canceling and allowing ships to be used for hurricane relief.

"un-operational" and will be for many months to come. From my information, no cruise ships will be operating from New Orleans for many, many months to come. Conquest will be moved to Florida. However, all other cruise ships are simply canceling and allowing ships to be used for hurricane relief.

Your information is highly inaccurate.

The airport has power again, but even before, flights were coming in and going out during daylight hours.

No commercial flights are currently scheduled and the date when it will reopen has not been set. It is currently being used as a medical facility.

The French Quarter, Garden District and a few other areas were mostly spared.

Sorry, I did pop out Florida instead of Texas as the destination for Conquest- and meant to say other Carnival Ships (Holiday, Ectasy, and Sensation) would cancel cruises and use ships for hurricane relief - brain is worse for wear and I did in fact omit key details. My brain and fingers did not work well together last evening.

However, my other information about New Orleans being "unoperational" is rather accurate when used in context of any tourism for the New Orleans area or commercial flights utilizing the airport which is actually located in Kenner. The airport is being used as a staging area for medical triage, evacuation of victims, and the movement of troops. Local reports from OEP state that the airport and the Port of New Orleans are not expected to open for atleast 2 months. Tourism will follow at even a slower pace.

The breach of the levy was repaired this afternoon and it is hoped the pumping of the water out of the city will begin by tomorrow - it is expected to take anywhere from 36-80 days. Reestablishing electrical service will be dependent on the progress. Restoring electrical service to the French Quarter area is also being reported as being 1 - 2 months away according to the Mayor of New Orleans.

{CCC is the Mississippi River Bridge and that would be something for it to light up again}

Electrical power has been restored to some areas of Jefferson Parish, but Orleans, St. Bernard and Plaquemines parishes remained in the dark Monday.

But portions of Orleans Parish, including the Central Business District and the Crescent City Connection, have “energized’’ substations prepared to distribute power as soon as buildings in the area are ready to accept it, Entergy spokesman Chanel Lagarde said Monday.

That could soon mean the lighting the CCC, a rainbow of hope for New Orleans, which was plunged into darkness more than a week ago when Hurricane Katrina brought the city to its knees.

Lawrence St. Blanc, a staff member of the Louisiana Public Service Commission, said power might restored as soon as today to the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans..

“If we have any luck we may have that baby up tomorrow,’’ he said.

But portions of Orleans Parish, including the Central Business District and the Crescent City Connection, have “energized’’ substations prepared to distribute power as soon as buildings in the area are ready to accept it, Entergy spokesman Chanel Lagarde said Monday.

That could soon mean the lighting the CCC, a rainbow of hope for New Orleans, which was plunged into darkness more than a week ago when Hurricane Katrina brought the city to its knees.

{CCC is the Mississippi River Bridge and that would be something for it to light up again}

Electrical power has been restored to some areas of Jefferson Parish, but Orleans, St. Bernard and Plaquemines parishes remained in the dark Monday.

Lawrence St. Blanc, a staff member of the Louisiana Public Service Commission, said power might restored as soon as today to the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans..

“If we have any luck we may have that baby up tomorrow,’’ he said.

MSY will open tomorrow (Sept. 13) for a limited number of commercial flights. They anticipate approx. 30 flights out per day for the next few days, and then for that to pick up by next week. In order to get entrance into Jefferson Parish (the parish the airport is in), you must show your air ticket. The parish is closed and only those with an airline ticket will be allowed past the guard checkpoints.

The French Quarter was not flooded, and has hardly any damage. Already, some hotel employees that were stranded or sheltered in hotels are beginning the clean up process.

The port of New Orleans is open to cargo traffic. No date is set for the return of cruise ship departures.

Today, the owners of businesses located in the CBD (Central Business District) are allowed a temporary pass to get into their offices to retrieve important files, paperwork, computers, etc. They are NOT allowed to stay, but only to get in, get stuff, and get out.

The area around the Superdome is down to 1 ft. of water.

You can read daily updates regarding New Orleans @ http://www.neworleanscvb.com

MSY will open tomorrow (Sept. 13) for a limited number of commercial flights. They anticipate approx. 30 flights out per day for the next few days' date=' and then for that to pick up by next week. In order to get entrance into Jefferson Parish (the parish the airport is in), you must show your air ticket. The parish is closed and only those with an airline ticket will be allowed past the guard checkpoints.

The French Quarter was not flooded, and has hardly any damage. Already, some hotel employees that were stranded or sheltered in hotels are beginning the clean up process.

The port of New Orleans is open to cargo traffic. No date is set for the return of cruise ship departures.

Today, the owners of businesses located in the CBD (Central Business District) are allowed a temporary pass to get into their offices to retrieve important files, paperwork, computers, etc. They are NOT allowed to stay, but only to get in, get stuff, and get out.

The area around the Superdome is down to 1 ft. of water.

You can read daily updates regarding New Orleans @ www.neworleanscvb.com

Thanks for the link. There is alot of useful info on that sight regarding tourism etc.

RCCL has not said anything about changing depaertures . We are leaving from there Dec.17 and RCCL hasnt changed a thing!!!

Archived