Teens on Sun Princess ..

We are considering cruising a 12 night Fremantle - Singapore next year on Sun Princess, "we" being myself (Mum) & then-16 year old daughter. Are there likely to be other teens on board she can make friends with? I'm a bit worried it might be a walking frame cruise. I'm a very new cruiser, having just done my first ever cruise on Carnival Spirit.

We are both hooked. We're going to try for 3 cruises a year! :)

We are considering cruising a 12 night Fremantle - Singapore next year on Sun Princess, "we" being myself (Mum) & then-16 year old daughter. Are there likely to be other teens on board she can make friends with? I'm a bit worried it might be a walking frame cruise. I'm a very new cruiser, having just done my first ever cruise on Carnival Spirit.

Glad you enjoyed your first.

Unless in teh school hols unlikely to be many teens on that one, even in school hols there are not likely to be a lot.

We've been on Princess Cruises with NO teens at all.

Try P&O cruises or Carnival for a generous bunch of teens group...especially in school holiday time. They always seem to have a fun time.

Thank you. It's in Victorian school holidays, not sure about other states. We both really like the itinerary, and she'd probably be fine with no other kids on board (only child!) but it'd be nice if there were some!

I'm a bit wary of P&O, they seem to get a lot of negative reviews and comments on their FB page..? Whereas others, including Carnival, are mostly positive with only a smattering of negative, P&O seems to be predominantly negative!

We're also looking at other lines such as Royal Carribean as well as doing Carnival again, but that's in addition to rather than instead of this particular cruise. I'm trying to picture the demographic of a Princess cruise like this one ... I think we're easy to please but I don't want it to completely feel like we're in a retirement home either!

lol at that last sentence.

friends did their first cruise, sydney to fremantle on sea princess last year, they felt by far the youngest.

Met up with them recently and they said they enjoyed it but really felt that they were in a nursing home. They felt they were with all the aussies who cant get travel insurance to go further afield due to their age.

Sounds like you have decided to do this cruise even if your daughter is the only one on board, and yes check out Royal caribbean, each cruise i do with them seems to have more kids/teenagers.

I've only been on dawn princess and that was end of the school year with lots of kids including my own grandchildren.

Personally, I think that the cruiselines that would suit teens the most in Australian waters are Carnival and Royal Caribbean. P&O have a great kids club - not too sure about teens though. Princess - forget it!!!

Barry

Yeah, Princess isn't a line you choose for children.

Much of this is related to the local itineraries, which are generally longer, often one-way and mostly outside school holidays. It appears they do not try to encourage that demographic with the way they schedule their itins.

That said, they do have children's facilities, so it's usually okay, just not very social.

I wouldn't go P&O ever even if it was the most suited as that would be the only box they would tick......Royal Caribbean would have kids, so that would be my choice for your Daughter, Princess ticks all the boxes for us but it probably wouldn't suit your Daughter.

We had 2 teens with us on the Dawn Princess cruise around NZ last January and while there were plenty of kids onboard they chose to do activities with the adults. Whilst I agree Princess is not the most focussed line towards teens, if your easy going people and the itinerary suits you, go for it. The service standard on Princess is first class.

Thank you for all of your thoughts. If we decide to go we'll go in knowing what to expect! It is quite port intensive so I guess the ship could be seen as a hotel (and there are no teen clubs at the hotels we stay at!) and I do think she would still have a great time, but there's some others we're looking at too, so we'll see.

clairebearinaus - it is the 24th of March! It's perfect timing for VIC holidays (Year 11 next year so no pulling out of school)