TA vrs Celebrity booking

juanita1767

I have also read posts where some have lost upgrades due to the fact that the TA didn't know a thing about the Captain's club perk or they were not entitled to the promo because they received a group booking. I under stand why they weren't entitled to the promo but the TA should have informed them of the promo so that they could make a choice. These people always seem to find Cruise Critic after it's too late. The usual reply from others is get a new TA which is a useless reply since you can't recommend one.

I've had the good fortune of taking several cruises offering a group rate, and everytime I have received the promo, if one is offered. Besides the low price, I've also received extra percs in the 10-20% of the total cruise cost.

This post, cruise line vs travel agent comes up about every two weeks and the responses are always the same. There is no definite right or wrong answer, do whatever makes you feel better, no matter what the cost.

Just wondering If you booked with a TA why didn't you let him/her take care of it in the first place?

I'm a pretty self-serve guy. All I like about a TA is extra perks, and now that they can stand up for issues that arise.

She did offer the first time I asked about it to handle it, and when I realized what I needed to do and how simple it was, just said I'd deal with it, no sweat.

By the time I'd email my TA the proof of ownership, I may as well have just sent it to Celebrity myself.

I cruise often enough, I just keep a copy of my brokerage statement in PDF saved in email as a template to Shareholder Relations, all I do is modify the particulars and resend it.

DW and I have booked somewhere in the area of 100 cruises over the years and nearly all of them have been with a small group of online cruise agencies. Our reason is quite simple. We save money! In nearly all cases we will save somewhere between 7-10% of the cruise price which can come from a lower price for the cruise, on board credits, free pre paid gratuities, etc. On one occasion we did do a future cruise booking while on the Eclipse because the hump cabin we wanted was available. That booking gave us the usual upgrade (we are Elite Plus) some on board credits and the drink package. We immediately had the onboard cruise consultant transfer to booking to one of our favorite cruise agencies who had agreed to add pre-paid gratuities (worth $322) plus an additional on board credit. On that particular cruise using the cruise agency provided us with nearly a 10% reduction in the cost of the cruise.

Our biggest savings, ever, from using a cruise agency happened with a long HAL cruise where one particular agency saved us over $3000 versus booking direct with the cruise line.

Hank

I have also read posts where some have lost upgrades due to the fact that the TA didn't know a thing about the Captain's club perk or they were not entitled to the promo because they received a group booking. I under stand why they weren't entitled to the promo but the TA should have informed them of the promo so that they could make a choice. These people always seem to find Cruise Critic after it's too late. The usual reply from others is get a new TA which is a useless reply since you can't recommend one.

kind of why many posts in the forums include links in sigs to receive direct emails :D

I take the best of both worlds approach, I handle my booking, sort it all out, make sure I get all I'm entitled to, then pass to my TA to give me their perks, in essence paying me for my time spent. Fact of the matter is, I'm far more experienced on all things Celebrity than my TA is, and perhaps many more, due to my obsession LOL. They have to know about dozens of lines and particulars I just focus laser-like on my specific line and bookings.

As I travel generally in suites, it's rare that any real special promos pop up, and I don't think any of the big boxes can deal on suites so far as straight pricing goes, just with perks. The big boxes who organize "groups" although they do book suites, I always so far have found their suite prices exactly same as website, though they do often have discounts on lesser cabin categories.

One TA told me Celebrity does not allow group space to discount suites. Not sure if that's true to not, but it matches my observations.

While I agree that booking with a TA can sometimes have an advantage, I am one of those people who prefers to book directly through the cruise line. TAs in my area hardly ever offer additional OBC or other benefits.

If I notice a price drop or special promotion, I can call X myself and have it applied. If I am booked with a TA, I have to go through them. If their office is closed or the TA is out of the office, then I am forced to wait. If the price of the cruise goes back up before they reopen, then I have missed out. After almost missing out on a $500 price drop a few years back, I no longer book with a TA.

As for the website issues that cle-guy mentioned, I have rarely had a problem booking something online. When I do, I just pick up the phone and call X to do it through them. I don't see how having to go through a TA is easier. If anything, I would see it as more of a pain. I'd call the TA, they would call X, they would then have to call me back if there were additional questions or clarification, etc. This is assuming of course your TA is even in the office, otherwise you're leaving a voicemail and playing the waiting game.

The thing to remember is not all TAs are equal. You seem to have a great one, which works well for you. I have had a better experience in dealing directly with X so I will stick with them :)

Which will only work if your TA isn't out of the office for the next 24 hours....

Also, if you change to a new booking number you will lose any benefits that you had from your previous booking (at least that has been my experience).

Something to be mindful of is the OP is from Canada. TAs in Canada rarely offer the incentives that TAs in the US offer.

Ditto for me too. My experiences have been the same as yours!

We booked our first 2 cruises direct, followed by buying Celebrity Gift Certificates off Ebay to save $250. It was a bit of a pain and probably risky, you had to call a special number to change anything, even excursions. Next we used a credit card partner, which gave minimal kickback. Lastly we've got a TA that we're fairly happy with.

Next we're going to start booking on the ship to transfer to the TA, and not let more than a year laps between RCL/Celebrity cruises. :)