Double Fatality and cruise booking

I am very sad to say that the two people I was travelling with have been killed in a double fatality accident. The 3 of us were booked on cruises in May. We had 2 adjoining cabins on two B2b 7 day cruises out of Copehangen.

I have contacted the agent who is talking to Royal Caribbean Australia about compassionate ground refunds for the bookings.

The travel insurance will not cover the loss as it was an American Express complimentary travel insurance and becasue they paid the deposit and final payment and on 2 different Amex cards the cover is not valid

They leave behind 2 sons and obviously a refund is desperatly needed. I am curious if anybody has been in such a tragic situation ans whether you can offer advice. The agent suggested that they may refund on compassion but wonder of anybody knows of a precedent?

Thankyou

I am so sorry for your loss.

In 2007 we were booked for a cruise in August and my daughter was in a car accident July 27. She was paralyzed and had a traumatic brain injury.

I had booked directly thru RCCI and called and told them what happened. I was given just about a full refund and for the difference they gave us future certificates.

I did get something on letterhead from the patient advocate at the hospital. Maybe try to get something from the funeral home.

I am so sorry

Edited by Cru1s1ng2009

So very sorry for your loss and I'm hopeful that you will be able to get some sort of refund.

Obviously we don't know what type of accident this was (nor am I asking!) but if it was a motor vehicle it is possible that the auto insurance policy may provide some compensation for this loss as well. Once again, my sincere condolences.

Thankyou everybody for your kind words.

We were due to leave Australia in 3 weeks and had hotel/car bookings for 3 weeks from Florida to New York City and then flying to Copenhagen.

Our hotels were all advance purchase and non refundable. Companies such as Expedia, Hotwire, Choice Hotels are made full refunds in light of the circumstances. The only company that out-right refused was Hilton but I escalated the request on facebook and hopefully they will agree. I was truely amazed at Hotwire's fast consideration as I thought they may have been more difficult.

So sad and sorry for your loss. If you manage a refund please let us know because why should we bother with insurance if we're dealing with such a compassionate company.

So you are offering a disincentive for the company to do the right thing?

Hope I read that wrong. Pretty cold.

Actually the opposite is true. If a company is willing to do the right thing we don't need to waste extra money on insurance.

So now they won't. Very compassionate and considerate of you. May we never meet in a lifeboat.

So now they won't. Very compassionate and considerate of you. May we never meet in a lifeboat.
Actually I feel compassion for all the people who bought insurance. If you want to protect yourself from a loss of money that's what insurance is for. When you give a refund to folks who didn't have insurance you're making fools out of the people who actually bought it.

I have read so many sad stories of cancer treatments, accidents, hurricanes, missing a plane, and reasons beyond a persons control so should they all get refunds too? Should the cruise just factor insurance into all our fares and we all pay more to spread the expense?

I just booked a cruise without insurance and don't expect a dime back after final payment if I cancel. I took a higher priced refundable airfare and higher priced Hotel rate with a 24 hour cancel policy at a Hilton. Did I waste my money paying extra or act prudently to protect my investment.

This is about money management not compassion. The scenario described by the OP is terribly sad and unfortunately to common. I'm hoping to see the day with self driving cars which would eliminate the majority of car accidents if that is what happened to the OP friends.

Edited by cruzsnooze

I cannot even believe the disgusting pettiness of people bickering over whether or not to buy insurance when the OP's main point was a method to get a refund to help the deceased's sons. It never ceases to amaze me how truly selfish and petty some people act. Narcissism at its finest.

I cannot even believe the disgusting pettiness of people bickering over whether or not to buy insurance when the OP's main point was a method to get a refund to help the deceased's sons. It never ceases to amaze me how truly selfish and petty some people act. Narcissism at its finest.

I'm extremely familiar with the many incarnations of ugliness on the Internet, but as a newbie to cruise critic, I have to say this site has cultivated a unique meanness all its own, one that isn't even fun in a snarky kind of way.

My condolences to the OP. It sounds to me like the circumstances go above and beyond any bickering about best practices.

Flying, my thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this tragedy. I have friends going through the process of trying to get compassionate refunds after their son died a week before a long planned vacation. The vacation seems fairly meaningless now. Insurance or no insurance, the loss of life is so sad. May you all feel the love and compassion from others as you continue this difficult journey.

I am very sad to say that the two people I was travelling with have been killed in a double fatality accident. The 3 of us were booked on cruises in May. We had 2 adjoining cabins on two B2b 7 day cruises out of Copehangen.

I have contacted the agent who is talking to Royal Caribbean Australia about compassionate ground refunds for the bookings.

The travel insurance will not cover the loss as it was an American Express complimentary travel insurance and becasue they paid the deposit and final payment and on 2 different Amex cards the cover is not valid

They leave behind 2 sons and obviously a refund is desperatly needed. I am curious if anybody has been in such a tragic situation ans whether you can offer advice. The agent suggested that they may refund on compassion but wonder of anybody knows of a precedent?

Thankyou

Firstly I wish to extend my sincerest condolences to yourself and the family of your friends. I hope that RC treat this sensitively and you are able to get the full refunds. There is no precedent, but I have heard of exceptions being made in the past dependent on the circumstances.

All I can offer is some advice regarding cancellation policy.

I notice you were due to sail May.

Here is their official cancellation policy.

Days prior to Cruise Departure Cancellation Charges

151 or more days deposit is refundable

150 - 71 days - loss of deposit

70 - 46 days - 25% of fare *

45 - 31 days - 50% of fare *

30 - 15 days - 75% of fare *

14 days or less - 100% of fare

Cancelling now by my calculations would put it roughly in the 46 - 70 day range. (Maybe the 70day + for the second leg of the cruise) Therefore, in the event they only offer refund as per terms, the original method of payment would be reimbursed all prepaid gratuities, shore excursions and port taxes as well as refund 75% of the cabin fare, which would obviously be a significant financial start for the boys at this time whilst any negotiations over the remainder take place.

Whilst I am not a financial expert, I would ask your agent to get confirmation of when RC process refund payment. ( I wasn't sure if you were referring to RC agent or TA) The reason I say this is Amex may well have frozen the cards if they aware of the deaths. If this results in the refund on the cards paying off any outstanding balances on the cards and leaving any extra it may get tied up for a while whilst the executors deal with the estate. (Eg if balance on credit card is owe $100 but refund $200 how can the extra $100 overpayment get claimed from Amex in a timely manner)I hope that makes sense. I would also recommend getting everything in writing.

I truly hope that all refunds are dealt with in a timely matter. I hope this info helps.

Please let us know how you get on.

Edited by Spurschick

Actually I feel compassion for all the people who bought insurance. If you want to protect yourself from a loss of money that's what insurance is for. When you give a refund to folks who didn't have insurance you're making fools out of the people who actually bought it.

I have read so many sad stories of cancer treatments, accidents, hurricanes, missing a plane, and reasons beyond a persons control so should they all get refunds too? Should the cruise just factor insurance into all our fares and we all pay more to spread the expense?

I just booked a cruise without insurance and don't expect a dime back after final payment if I cancel. I took a higher priced refundable airfare and higher priced Hotel rate with a 24 hour cancel policy at a Hilton. Did I waste my money paying extra or act prudently to protect my investment.

This is about money management not compassion. The scenario described by the OP is terribly sad and unfortunately to common. I'm hoping to see the day with self driving cars which would eliminate the majority of car accidents if that is what happened to the OP friends.

Just stop talking/typing. You are digging a hole that is so deep you can't climb out. I purchase insurance for every cruise, but I have no problem with a corporation showing compassion in circumstances like this. Please just sit and just stop responding on this. Leave it. Drop it. Don't. Just don't.