Coral Panama Canal, quick review

RNCheryl

It costs Princess an incredible amount for the ship to go through the canal and they pass that cost on to the passengers. That is part of the reason the canal transit is a fairly pricy cruise.

Princess can charge a princely sum;) for their Canal cruises, however the passenger fare is more of a function of supply and demand rather than the price Princess pays to go through the Canal. No doubt about it the tolls are certainly substantial, but revenue for the tolls comes from the Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses which is a separate charge from the passenger fare. Take a look at the 10 day partial transit cruise from Ft. Lauderdale, the taxes, fees and port expenses are $310. A 10 day Caribbean cruise (not a partial transit) from Ft. Lauderdale taxes, fees & port expenses are only $126. If you would like to run the numbers the Canal charges $134 per each passenger berth regardless whether or not there is a head in the bed. That will provide you with the toll, there are a few other rather substantial fees that are associated with the transit that must be paid as well. Since we are referring to a partial transit, there is no reduction in tolls for not going all the way through. There is a proposal to raise the tolls early next year!

Not true..........

Pump dispenser for soap in the shower? :eek:

Were you using the shampoo/conditioner/body wash for soap? :eek:

Although miniscule there is bar soap privided by Stewart but no soap dispenser.

Two pumps in the shower. One for shampoo/conditioner and one for shower gel (soap). However, it is legal to use the bar soap from the sink and take it into the shower.

Shampoo works anywhere on the body too.

Shower: we brought our own shampoo/conditioner in small bottles. Used ships soap bars.

The sanctuary in Limon: Original/close to ship is closed for renovations. We drove for more than an hour to the Jaguar Rescue Center. Enjoyed it very much. Take a snack, as there is no lunch. They have a wonderful group of volunteers here. Make a donation.

I understand the increased port fees for a canal cruise. What I was asking for is experience with price drops on the base fare. Supply and demand may also make that different from more highly available Caribbean cruises. My somewhat flexible rule is to pay less than $100 a nt for inside and $125 for balcony. However, I usually book about 4-5 months out and watch for sales.

I understand the increased port fees for a canal cruise. What I was asking for is experience with price drops on the base fare. Supply and demand may also make that different from more highly available Caribbean cruises. My somewhat flexible rule is to pay less than $100 a nt for inside and $125 for balcony. However, I usually book about 4-5 months out and watch for sales.

We have a 10 day Panama Canal cruise booked for the end of October. If you go to the Princess site you can see what prices are for each category of cabin. Even though this cruise is more than 6 months away the suites are sold out and there are only 2 or 3 mini suites (without balconies) available. Balconies are running about $190 a night, but they are selling quickly too. I haven't checked the inside cabins. It looks to me like this cruise may sellout so there would be no reason to drop the price. The only other Panama Canal cruise I have done was a 19 day round trip out of LA several years ago (partial transit). I do recall a decent price drop several months before final payment was due. Keep a close eye on the cruise you are interested in. Booking 4 to 5 months out might be cutting it too close. Glad I booked my mini suite, if I had waited until 4-5 months before the cruise , I would be out of luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Not true..........

Pump dispenser for soap in the shower? :eek:

Were you using the shampoo/conditioner/body wash for soap? :eek:

Although miniscule there is bar soap privided by Stewart but no soap dispenser.

That is incorrect. There are TWO dispensers in the shower. One is labeled BODY SOAP, the other is labeled SHAMPOO/CONDITIONER. In addition, a "round" of soap is on the sink. We just got off the Ruby and our steward put a soap in the shower and 2 on the sink (amazing steward!!).

Edited by JF - retired RRT

That is incorrect. There are TWO dispensers in the shower. One is labeled BODY SOAP, the other is labeled SHAMPOO/CONDITIONER. In addition, a "round" of soap is on the sink. We just got off the Ruby and our steward put a soap in the shower and 2 on the sink (amazing steward!!).

Ours was labeled shower gel, not body soap

89021804521814E121showergelandshampooampconditionerDSC08775_zpsb200bd27.jpg

Thank you for your review. It seems odd that you have to sign every time you have a drink even though you have the drink package.

I guess it is a record of legitimate usage of the beverages and that is a good control of inventory.

• 3 months later...
If anyone is interested in the specifics of the port excursions, just ask; will be glad to oblige.

How far are the beaches from the ship after it docks in Aruba, is it walking distance or will I need to get a taxi or bus to take me there?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We are taking this partial cruise in Dec on the Coral. Looking at excursions now and wondered if anyone has info on the big Limon, Costa Rica one. It's L-620, Veragua Rainforest, Torguguero Canals and Lunch. Wondering if if it worth the money, was the aerial tram ok, or should we avoid it? Also the possible hike to the falls, its says moderate..we aren't that out of shape, but wondering how hard it really is. Thanks to anyone who can help!

We did the Veragua Rainforest and lunch. We enjoyed the excursion. The aerial tram was very cool. I'm usually not thrilled about things like that but I was glad we did it. We saw sloths and Tucans from the ride. The hike was not really tough just be sure you have appropriate footwear.

• 1 month later...
Glad to oblige about the tours:

Aruba Trikes: http://www.trikes-aruba.com/

They made sure the drivers were comfortable with standard transmission before the tour.

In Cartagena, we used Marelvy. http://www.tourincartagena.com/

Very good Tripadvisor reviews. A very smart lady, well versed in her country's history. Just ignore the persistent street vendors.

Panama, took the ship's ferry boat trip thru the canal. Review the options carefully. We were disappointed in the length/quality of this trip. Think going to Gatun Lake is far enough.

In Costa Rica, our CC group did this trip: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g309264-d1754971-Reviews-Your_Lucky_Tour-Puerto_Limon_Province_of_Limon.html

Be aware, this is a day long tour, and the only food provided is a banana. Bring something to tide you over. I had mixed feelings about this trip, but the sights were memorable.

Finally, in Jamaica we went to the Blue Hole.

http://www.libertytoursjamaica.com/

It was degrees cooler than the ambient temperature. Very rough road to get here, great driver. The young men who assist you in climbing were amazing. Even this old girl scampered up the falls. DH sat in the falls, one of our group dived into the pool. Afterwards, lunch at Scotchies was wonderful; chicken perfectly done and seasoned. Ricardo is a lovely young man; you will love him!

Our cruise in Jan 2016 only stays in Aruba port from 7AM to !2:30 PM. The trike excursion is from 8AM to 12:30PM. So not going to be able to do.