Master Chef's Dinner

ithaca gal

My friend and I boarded the Eurodam on Sunday, March 22. We immediately went to sign up for the Master Chef's dinner. It was scheduled for Saturday night, March 28.

During the week,, I saw no advertising whatsoever for the dinner. On Friday morning we received a call to say that the dinner was not going to be held because only one other couple had signed up.

With 2,000 "captive guests" and art auction info being put into our mailboxes each day, one would think they could market the dinner so as to guarantee sixteen people --- instead of waiting to see if anyone else would come forwar on their own.

We were extremely disappointed with how the dinner the canceled ... with no advertising or marketing being done.

The same thing happened to us on Princess. I was horribly disappointed since the Chef's Table was one of the highlights on a previous cruise. I plan to attend one on our upcoming cruise and I sincerely was hoping that cancelation would not be an issue. Now I know that it might be. :(

My friend and I boarded the Eurodam on Sunday, March 22. We immediately went to sign up for the Master Chef's dinner. It was scheduled for Saturday night, March 28.

During the week,, I saw no advertising whatsoever for the dinner. On Friday morning we received a call to say that the dinner was not going to be held because only one other couple had signed up.

With 2,000 "captive guests" and art auction info being put into our mailboxes each day, one would think they could market the dinner so as to guarantee sixteen people --- instead of waiting to see if anyone else would come forwar on their own.

We were extremely disappointed with how the dinner the canceled ... with no advertising or marketing being done.

Totally agree this is not done well. We did it two weeks ago on NA but we just happened to stumble upon it. We were in the NL first day trying to book Pinnacle and the Concierge said "oh...that's the night of the Master Chef's Table." We asked what was that and thought it sounded interesting and said sign us up. She said she wasn't sure there would be room, but she would try to get us in (which she did). In fact we would up having only 9 and we never heard about it after the first day.

But yes, it was very nice and I am sorry yours did not make...no excuse, like you said.

Trout

We are HAL newbies, sailing on the Oosterdam on 4-5-15. Who do I contact to sign up from the Master Chef dinner when we board? Thanks for your help.

You will need to go the the Pinnacle Grill or if in a Neptune Suite, the conceirge can do it for you. You may need to keep checking to see if it is a go or not. We saw the Maitre de on a regular basis so he kept us informed. It is a very special event and we feel is worth every penny. The wine parings are wonderful!! Hope you get to do it. By the way, it is advertised at the Pinnacle Grill, close to the reservation stand.

Edited by Cruisergal1208

We sailed out on the Nieuw Amsterdam on the same day as you. Embarked on the 22nd, and Master Chef scheduled for the 28th. Also cancelled.

But we didn't get notified until Saturday morning.

I was disappointed, but okay with it. By that point we had eaten so much food. An extravagant dinner would have been less appealing on the last night than on the first few nights.

I wonder what the minimum is. We checked at the Pinnacle to cancel since they converted our reservation to a regular Pinnacle reservation. There was a note on the desk with my name and state room number. I saw two other stateroom numbers. So three staterooms, with a total of 5 guest names.

I kind of feel like they should just suck it up and run the dinner with 5 guests or 4 guests. Two people, I could see canceling since they can't spilt multiple bottles of wine between 2 people.

We were on a B2B and it was cancelled the first week but we did have it the second week. Just wish it wasn't on the last night. Well worth it!!

We have done quite a few Master Chef's dinners on different ships and never was it on the last night of the cruise.

It is also called Chef's Rudi's dinner on some ships.

We sailed out on the Nieuw Amsterdam on the same day as you. Embarked on the 22nd, and Master Chef scheduled for the 28th. Also cancelled.

I was disappointed, but okay with it. By that point we had eaten so much food. An extravagant dinner would have been less appealing on the last night than on the first few nights.

I wonder what the minimum is. We checked at the Pinnacle to cancel since they converted our reservation to a regular Pinnacle reservation. There was a note on the desk with my name and state room number. I saw two other stateroom numbers. So three staterooms, with a total of 5 guest names.

I kind of feel like they should just suck it up and run the dinner with 5 guests or 4 guests. Two people, I could see canceling since they can't spilt multiple bottles of wine between 2 people.

Minimum -- Don't know.

But I do know that November 2014 -- Noordam -- we had only 8 people for the dinner.

February 2015 -- Zuiderdam -- again only 8 of us.

Not sure if this was to me, but we were 3-15 to 22 (dinner was the 21st.)

Someone said it had been canceled the week before so I guess we were really lucky...

Trout

We were on a B2B and it was cancelled the first week but we did have it the second week. Just wish it wasn't on the last night. Well worth it!!

The Master Chef's Dinner is never on the last night. You have to pay for the Master Chef's Dinner, not that sorry mess on the last night held in the MDR.

This has happened to us with Cooking Classes.

We signed up; I read everything and there was absolutely NO advertising in the daily program or elsewhere. The class was cancelled because "no one but you two signed up".

I think some ships just don't want to bother doing these classes, or the Master Chef, or whatever. So, this is a passive way of "offering" and hoping not enough will know about it and there won't be "enough" and they can cancel.

You will need to go the the Pinnacle Grill or if in a Neptune Suite, the conceirge can do it for you. You may need to keep checking to see if it is a go or not. We saw the Maitre de on a regular basis so he kept us informed. It is a very special event and we feel is worth every penny. The wine parings are wonderful!! Hope you get to do it. By the way, it is advertised at the Pinnacle Grill, close to the reservation stand.

Thank you!

That being said...what is it excatly? I can't say that I've heard the details and might be interested in it for my next cruise. teehee

My sister and I attended a Master Chef Dinner on the Amsterdam's 14-day itinerary to Alaska in August 2012. So it's not the most up-to-date information, but I doubt that the dinner has changed very much. Here's an excerpt from my sister's blog:

https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/2012/08/17/aug-16-2012-master-chef-dinner/

It also helps to ask the Cellar Master (Sommelier) about the dinner as well, as he pairs the wine with the food and is there to discuss the pairings during the dinner.

My sister and I attended a Master Chef Dinner on the Amsterdam's 14-day itinerary to Alaska in August 2012. So it's not the most up-to-date information, but I doubt that the dinner has changed very much. Here's an excerpt from my sister's blog:

https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/2012/08/17/aug-16-2012-master-chef-dinner/

It also helps to ask the Cellar Master (Sommelier) about the dinner as well, as he pairs the wine with the food and is there to discuss the pairings during the dinner.

Oh wow! I'm gonig to seriously consider that. That looks wonderful.

Thank you!

The Master Chef's Dinner is never on the last night. You have to pay for the Master Chef's Dinner, not that sorry mess on the last night held in the MDR.

That is the one I was talking about!! Not the one held in the MDR. And yes, it was on the last night on the ship before our cruise ended in Ft. Lauderdale the next morning. Not sure why you say "never on the last night" as we were told it is up to the Master Chef, Celler Master and the PG Maitre de as to when they present it.

Love the Master Chief dinners or the Sommelier dinners. Wish they would be more consistant in doing them. I think advertizing would help alot. I know they limited the amount of people in attendence but if you don't advertise it, how to you expect to get anyone interested?

That is the one I was talking about!! Not the one held in the MDR. And yes, it was on the last night on the ship before our cruise ended in Ft. Lauderdale the next morning. Not sure why you say "never on the last night" as we were told it is up to the Master Chef, Celler Master and the PG Maitre de as to when they present it.

Which ship and what year was this?

Thank you

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam fall of 2013 and spring of 2014 and the Master Chef's dinner was in the middle of the cruise.

Things have changed.

Your welcome. Yes, as a lot of things are changing. Who knows, the next time may be a different night.:)