Calmest beach in Bermuda?

michelle028

Hi All,

What is the calmest beach near Kings Wharf? And how do we get there?

We want the cheapest way possible - we are fine with using public transit. Random question - Do they have public transit day passes? How much?

4 adults travelling on Celebrity Summit - will be docked for 3 days. Thanks for your help!

Tobacco bay is the calmest beach that I know of, but it's at the total opposite end of Bermuda from King's Wharf. If you really want to stay close to the dockyard, I suggest Snorkel Park. It's right in the dockyard, and it's generally pretty calm. When you get off the ship, you just walk across the dockyard. It's probably a 7-10 minute walk. Definitely the closest beach. Horseshoe Bay is probably the most picturesque, but its not generally calm.

Hi All,

What is the calmest beach near Kings Wharf? And how do we get there?

We want the cheapest way possible - we are fine with using public transit. Random question - Do they have public transit day passes? How much?

4 adults travelling on Celebrity Summit - will be docked for 3 days. Thanks for your help!

I will answer the transit pass part of your inquiry, as we have yet to go to the beach in Bermuda. I know Bermuda is known for it's beautiful beaches, so please - don't judge us for that :o lol Hubby likes to be on a boat on the ocean, but doesn't like being in the ocean.

There are transit passes available for purchase from the visitor information kiosks at both the small customs building at the Dockyard between Heritage Whark and Kings Wharf, where the ships dock, and they are also for sale at the visitor center at the Ferry terminal in Hamilton. You can buy one day, two day, and three day passes, and they are good for unlimited use of the bus system and the ferry system. I just read that the cost of the day passes is going up. It will now cost us $44 per person for our three day passes. It is $19pp for a one day pass, and $31pp for a two day pass. We still find it a good deal because each ferry ride is $4, and we take the ferry a lot, especially when we have been docked at the Royal Naval Dockyard. We find the passes to be worth the money, we have been all over the island and didn't have to worry about buying tokens for the ferry or having money or tokens for the buses. You can find ferry schedules here to give you an idea of how they run:

http://www.seaexpress.bm/

I don't have the bus schedule site, we just kind of "wing it" and plan our bus rides while we are actually there in Bermuda. Hope that helps.

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl
add info

Jobson's Cove is a small, very calm beach and not usually crowded. Can't find my personal pictures right now but here are some public ones.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=jobson%27s+cove+bermuda+photos&form=PRUSEN&mkt=en-us&refig=ca8d10d2d8de44a69cd505f91c3fd359&qs=SC&sk=SC1&pq=jobsons+cove&sc=6-12&sp=2&cvid=ca8d10d2d8de44a69cd505f91c3fd359

If you plan things, many times you can get away with a 2 day pass by saving shopping, sightseeing, etc. around Dockyard for your last day in port.

There is a small cove to the right of Horseshoe Beach that is well protected by huge rock formations. Many families use it as a great place for their children to play. The open beach usually has some pretty good sized waves. If you walk to the left end of Horseshoe, you will find Jobson Cove, and several small well protected beaches that are not very busy and have calm waters. Tobacco is also great but as mentioned, it is all the way outside of St. George, about a 40 minute ferry ride from the Dockyard area. Snorkel Beach at the Dockyard is a manmade beach and not very pretty, not a true Bermuda Beach.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to Bermuda many times and are going again in June. I would definitely recommend skipping Snorkel Park (it's not very nice) and heading to any of the beaches others have mentioned. Jobson's Cove is one of our favorites. There are no facilities, but it is very picturesque.

Sheila

We liked Clearwater Beach, where we went when ships docked in St. George. Very calm, has facilities, and great for plane-spotting. You have a view of the airport, landings & take-offs.

You can take the ferry or bus to St.George, and Clearwater is a short cab or bus-ride from there.

We went to Clearwater Beach in 2011. It's very calm and shallow for some ways out. Also has a playground nearby. There was a restaurant/bar there then that rented chairs, but the food service was not open on Mondays. Is it still there? Can't recall the name