Beware of this store

jcool

Tropical world

Port Zante

Basseterre

St.Kitts

Do not do business with this store they sold me jewelry that was not good they told me that the ring and earrings were tanzanite and it was not. And it was other stone that was worth less. what got me was when you enter the store they had sign with cruise names on the door.so I though they were ok. The reason I did not look at the shopping paper they give me was because I lost it. so I got one when I got on board. And I started looking at the paper and they were not on it. the reason I am telling you is because I do not want anyone making the same mistake I made.

Tropical world

Port Zante

Basseterre

St.Kitts

Do not do business with this store they sold me jewelry that was not good they told me that the ring and earrings were tanzanite and it was not. And it was other stone that was worth less. what got me was when you enter the store they had sign with cruise names on the door.so I though they were ok. The reason I did not look at the shopping paper they give me was because I lost it. so I got one when I got on board. And I started looking at the paper and they were not on it. the reason I am telling you is because I do not want anyone making the same mistake I made.

Reason #1 I don't buy jewelry while on a cruise. If you purchased with your credit card maybe you should contact them and see if you can dispute the charge. If you have a receipt that shows its tanzanite and something that says its not, its a good chance you can get your money back.

Thanks for letting others know.

• 1 month later...

I don't know why people buy jewelry on the islands. They know they will never see you again and they can sell you anything. Most times its not cheaper than home.

My son wanted to buy a watch on our last cruise. We went and looked at watches at all the shops on 3 islands. Everyone of them was priced about $100 more than Amazon. All were "suggested" "recommended" shops.

I had the same issue in Cozumel, I filed a dispute with the CC company and they advised me to take it to a jeweler and I told them it wasn't necessary because the thing completely fell apart. With continued pressure to the managers they refunded the total amount. My opinion was that if the CC company does business with these fraudsters then they are responsible. File a dispute and demand a refund.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know why people buy jewelry on the islands. They know they will never see you again and they can sell you anything. Most times its not cheaper than home.

My son wanted to buy a watch on our last cruise. We went and looked at watches at all the shops on 3 islands. Everyone of them was priced about $100 more than Amazon. All were "suggested" "recommended" shops.

I do research before I go on a cruise, writing down prices and model numbers, etc. I purchased a Philip Stein watch in St Maarten for $648. That same watch sold for $775 on Amazon. My husband's Philip Stein sold for $895 in the U.S., and he got it for $719 in Cozumel.A Citizen watch only sold for $25 cheaper on the ship than on Amazon. We purchased a Mark Henry Alexandrite in Falmouth last year. In Central Florida high-end jewelry stores, we couldn't find any Alexandrite. Sometimes you can't find certain pieces of jewelry and can only find them in Europe or in the Caribbean. It is so important to do research if you're looking for something specific. We only stick with merchants recommended by the cruise lines.

• 3 weeks later...

I think you just have to know who you are dealing with when you want to buy more than inexpensive souvenirs. Our first cruise (36 cruises ago) I bought a 0.925 silver pendant in Cozumel - it was green in no time. Last year in Cozumel - within the port area - there were 3 jewelers that had huge signs from the government on their window essentially saying their jewelry was tested & was not as advertised. The sign had to say up for 6 months.

On the other hand, we have used the same jeweler in St. Martin for nearly 20 years. Every item is appraised back in the US for at least twice, normally three times, what I pay there. We have even had one Tanzanite & diamond bracelet where 3 of the stones fell out. I sent it to their partner company in NY, all the stones were replaced, all settings changed (so I never had another issue) - all for free. They could not have apologized more. I no longer buy anything in the US.

• 3 years later...

I wish that I had read about Tropical World before my wife and I bought jewellery there, purporting to be Tanzanite, in January 2019. So they are still at it.

We had the items examined by an expert back in the UK and they are definitely NOT Tanzanite. How the authorities in St Kitts, Basetterre are stil allowing this fraud to continue, I know not. It is despoiling the reputation of the island.

• 4 months later...