Those disembarking in Venice

rjscott

Our party of 4 are spending 2 days postcruise in Venice. I want to pre-book a water taxi to get from the port to our hotel, but have no idea when we will be able to depart the ship, collect our luggage and be on our way. The calendar on 'My Viking Journey' says we will be in port at 6am. Does anyone have any more specific info on a disembarkation time?

Becki

Kathy,

That's what I'm hoping for. Our hotel has a dock/jetty, so we can go directly there, drop our luggage and then hit the streets! :D

Just wishing for a bit more specific info. Someone posted a similar question on the port boards (not for the Star), but has not gotten a response.

Becki

At this point all anyone can do is taking as it comes and keep your adventurous spirit on the forefront. Especially as a maiden voyager.

I am glad you maideners are first so I can learn for our January 2016 voyage:D

Roothy,

Thanks. I was gonna shoot for a bit later, just to be on the safe side. I've not done a Med cruise b/f, so I am really in the dark here. And, even when we've done "express" walk off in Ft Lauderdale, we couldn't get off until 8:30. Not knowing what the customs situation is in Venice and where and how much trouble it will be to collect our luggage, I just don't want to be late to get our water taxi. Would rather be a bit early. I did send an inquiry to the site recommended on Trip Advisor, but haven't heard back. I will probably go ahead and book online tomorrow if I don't hear from them.

Thanks!

Becki

When we disembarked in Venice from Oceania, there were plenty of water taxis available but we actually took a slightly larger water "bus" to St. Mark's square. From that dock, we were very happy to pay a porter to take our luggage and guide us to Locando Orselo where we stayed 3 extra nights. Magical! This was about 10 years ago, but I don't imagine the availability of water taxis would have changed that much. We remember it so well because it was a rainy day and in the confusion at the terminal we somehow managed to pick up the wrong black bag. We were greeted warmly at the hotel and they felt very bad to have to tell us that we had the wrong bag and it would need to be returned to the terminal ASAP. We wound up taking the water taxi back to the terminal from St. Mark's square and exchanging it for our own. (I'm sure Locando Orseolo would have done it for us if they could but this needed our personal attention.) By the time we finally returned to the hotel, we were "veterans" at using the taxis and actually enjoyed the extra time on the water in the midst of all the action. The lesson - be sure to double-check your bags at disembarkation. And enjoy beautiful, romantic Venice!

Thank you, OBX, I have no doubt we will thoroughly enjoy Venice. Sounds like you had quite the adventure! I did think about waiting to get a taxi when we disembark, but since we'll want one for the return trip to the airport, the website offers a discount for booking both online. The savings would buy us lunch! ;) :)

Becki

Our trip to the airport was another story! Locanda Orseolo was on a very small canal and they had a small door right off the gathering room where our luggage was loaded into a speed boat. Our hosts had to check when low tide was that morning and arrange for our "taxi" at just the right time so the driver could make it under a very low bridge on the way out to the Grand Canal. Once on the "main highway", he took off at high speed in the fog:eek: Made it for our flight in plenty of time. Sounds like you may be staying at a hotel on one of the main canals so tides won't be a problem.

One of the 'expert' respondents on Trip Advisor said we are on a side canal, so hope that will not be a problem. She said it could result in an extra charge, but when I put in the hotel and luggage, the luggage caused an extra charge, but the hotel did not. It should be fun and a great way to start our stay in Venice.

BTW, we used to live in Fredericksburg. Loved it there! :)

Becki