Wondering if this is the cruise line for us

hydro1570

I have traveled on Princess(4), RCCI(3) and NCL(1). I think Princess is by far the best, followed by RCCI and then NCL. But, it just depends what kind of thing you like to do and where you like to go. You will have fun regardless of which line you use, but I did notice a bit of a downgrade with NCL, from service to entertainment, well everything. I will probably try them again if the itinerary and price are good, but if there is a comparable itinerary/price with Princess or RCCI, I would definitely pick them.

Plus, I also agree that there are alot more rude comments on NCL board than I have come across (watch what happens) on other boards, which really in the long run hurts NCL. People who may just be looking to see if they want to sail on NCL or not. You wonder, are all these people going to be onboard???

So, don't worry about your cruise, have fun and judge for yourself whether you will sail with NCL again. In the end it is all very subjective.

In the last 5 years, I have cruised Disney, NCL, Carnival, RCCL and currently have upcoming cruises on NCL and RCCL booked. I hang out a lot on this boards when I am booking and in the fun planning phase of the cruise. Personally, I think that it can lend to as much worries as it does to help. When we were going on our last Carnival, it was non-stop complaining among the regulars about the cuts to live music and after many dozens of cruises, many were threatening to leave. Things were just fine on the ship. I am currently hanging out both here and the RCCL board. Complaints from regulars on the RCCL about downgrades in service and the risk of having to get MTD which is apparently awful. Yesterday, someone posted that they didn't get the dining they wanted and someone responded with the rudest comment I have ever seen on these boards. You can generally always count on someone complaining about the kids clubs and comparing it to another line.

I take it all with a grain of salt. We don't cruise any line often enough or regularly enough that we notice all of these little things that regulars complain about. Also we are different every cruise and our kids are different ages every cruise so it is always a new/different experience. Every line so far has things I love and things I don't like. My perfect cruise would probably have elements from all lines. Book the ports you want at the price you are comfortable with and be ready to enjoy the different things about the ship - don't spend all of your time comparing to the things it doesn't have and you will be great!!

Another thing to put in perspective - if you are saving $100 dollars pp on the cruise over Carnival, figure that pays for two room service orders a day!!

Poster here with recent experience with all 3 lines!

IMO NCL is the middle ground between Carnival and RCCL.

Do you like deck parties? NCL has one every night!

Do you like Any time dining? NCL only has that!

Do you like Water slides? NCL has those too.

Do you like hot tubs and pools? Well they can't have everything!

Like a previous poster mentioned NCL doesn't have the WOW! factor that I experienced on the Oasis. The Getaway and the Breakaway + (which will be very similar to the Breakaways) have plenty to do. If you have the money do the Haven, almost heard zero complaints about that. Try it once and if you don't like it try RCCL Quantum class or stick to their Freedom or Voyager class.

So we have sailed both Carnival & Royal... we have stuck with Royal for the most part. Don't think I could even drag my hubby on another Carnival cruise. I kind of got him hooked on Royal. Although are last sailing on the Oasis was not all that. So we are looking to try another to see if we like it. I notice they are running a good deal now for 3rd & 4th guest free, but then I am also reading reviews of people not happy lately because they are charging for things other lines do not change for. Can anyone explain this?

We do like to order room service a lot to eat on the balcony, so is this something we would be charged for? I am looking at the Getaway or Escape because close to home port. I know NOTHING about Norwegian ships though. Do a lot of families with children travel on this line?

Thanks in advance!

Two months ago I would have given NCL my highest recommendation. We were RCCL people who tired NCL and LOVED it.

Now....I would not recommend NCL to ANYONE. The speed at which they are introducing new charges, and stacking charges on top of each other is insane. The newest change of charging $7.95 for a room service delivery and then adding 18% to that charge takes the cake with me. In two weeks they took a free service and turned it into a night at a specialty restaurant. I have no doubt these charges will continue to pile up between when you book and when you sail. Thew worse part is they do it in the most sneaky manner possible. They spring it on people on board the ship.

It pains me to say it but I would avoid NCL like the plague. It has truly embodied the Nickle and Dime persona they seemed to be trying hard to distance themselves from in past years. At ever single turn there will be a hand in your pocket. Paying a slightly higher initial cost for a RCCL cruise will save you countless surprises on board. My wife and I always get the UBP, and UDP to avoid having to worry about charges on the ship. Now with NCL they are everywhere and being added at least weekly.

Upon first look NCL might seem like a good deal, but they are doing everything in their power to rob you once on the ship.

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

We are Diamond+ on RCL. However, the last few years we have mostly stuck to NCL for many reasons. Our last RCL cruise was not even close to what we remembered in the past.

Bottom line, go find out for yourself on any new line. Give NCL a try and see what you like and dislike. NO cruise line is perfect. So far, NCL has really won us over. Also been on Princess, Carnivore, and Celebrity.

This is all good info and insightful. We still plan to go on NCL for the first time. I agree, you have to decide for yourself. Will your cruise on NCL be a mistake? I cant see how. A vacation is what you make it. If you find one little thing wrong and obsess over it or make it the biggest problem in the world, then your vacation will stink. If you celebrate the other 85-95% that went right, you will have a wonderful time and memories. In the end you have remember this board, while helpful contains only a TINY percentage of overall cruisers. And those who give reviews are more often likely to comment on the negatives. i.e. when I first looked at NCL, I read all these reviews talking about how food and service was terrible everywhere and anywhere on any NCL ship. I'll judge that for myself. But more often than not, people exaggerate in reviews. My food wasn't as good as a 5 star restaurant. Well, you're not paying for that. lol. Good luck on whatever you decide and have fun!

Two months ago I would have given NCL my highest recommendation. We were RCCL people who tired NCL and LOVED it.

Now....I would not recommend NCL to ANYONE. The speed at which they are introducing new charges, and stacking charges on top of each other is insane. The newest change of charging $7.95 for a room service delivery and then adding 18% to that charge takes the cake with me. In two weeks they took a free service and turned it into a night at a specialty restaurant. I have no doubt these charges will continue to pile up between when you book and when you sail. Thew worse part is they do it in the most sneaky manner possible. They spring it on people on board the ship.

It pains me to say it but I would avoid NCL like the plague. It has truly embodied the Nickle and Dime persona they seemed to be trying hard to distance themselves from in past years. At ever single turn there will be a hand in your pocket. Paying a slightly higher initial cost for a RCCL cruise will save you countless surprises on board. My wife and I always get the UBP, and UDP to avoid having to worry about charges on the ship. Now with NCL they are everywhere and being added at least weekly.

Upon first look NCL might seem like a good deal, but they are doing everything in their power to rob you once on the ship.

6&8

If you truly feel that way why do you have two NCL cruises booked?

I don't know about the poster, but I can tell you "why I have two" actually more booked! I booked them prior to all the sudden nickel and dime changes. And I am sure your next remark:rolleyes: will be something along the lines that if you aren't happy, CANCEL and book elsewhere. So let me save you the trouble of posting, I'll be happy to tell you why.....The 9 Delta tickets that I have already booked and PAID for...prior to all the new nickel and dime schemes.

Not that it is at all your business, but had you even bothered to read my post up to two months ago I loved NCL. I loved them so much that I convinced various groups of people to sign up to cruise with us. I dont know if you have ever booked a cruise for many people but it is a lot of work. Since booking they have instituted all these changes.

This person was asking if they should book now. My answer NOW is 100% no. With the speed they are adding fees at every turn there is no telling what they will be paying in the long run.

Perhaps you should worry more about yourself instead of trying to knock other peoples opinions. It least PRETEND to stay on topic instead of hijacking threads to push your shill agenda.

6&8

Not that it is at all your business, but had you even bothered to read my post up to two months ago I loved NCL. I loved them so much that I convinced various groups of people to sign up to cruise with us. I dont know if you have ever booked a cruise for many people but it is a lot of work. Since booking they have instituted all these changes.

This person was asking if they should book now. My answer NOW is 100% no. With the speed they are adding fees at every turn there is no telling what they will be paying in the long run.

Perhaps you should worry more about yourself instead of trying to knock other peoples opinions. It least PRETEND to stay on topic instead of hijacking threads to push your shill agenda.

6&8

I'm in the same position. I convinced a lot of people to book cabins. I actually enticed them to get a balcony because room service was included in the price. Told them all the prices of the specialty restaurants so they can budget that amounts.

Now I have to go back and say oops I lied. You have to pay for this now, oh my well they added an additional fee to that.

We can't cancel Because we booked past final payment.

Although I know we are going to have a good time, it has shaken my faith in this company because now I'm checking every day to see if any new fees has been added.

I have a group going on the escape in jan.. I'm really looking at canceling. I'm hesitant because those in my party are excited about the ship and I don't want to spoil their happiness.

To the OP yes you will have a good time once onboard if you can weather all these fees and fees that are to come. Go in with a positive attitude. You probably want to stay off NCL boards for a minute so you won't second guess yourself if you do decide to keep your booking lol

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

6&8

You say 'No', others say 'Yes' and I say 'wait and til the official price is announce, then compare and decide if NCL is worth it" regarding booking - each of us are correct in our opinions. The other poster asked that question because you have 2 upcoming booking and stating that you hate them at the same - Conventional wisdom states, If you really hate a company that badly, you don't use them EVER. That's when one adds cruise insurance to cancel anytime after payment deadline in case anything happens, like additional nickel and diming out the woodwork. Wisdom also states that even if the company had the better pricing, you still shouldn't book with them because the principle of knowing fully well that company practices that, should make you not use them period.

But what do I know - I like to be prepare for worst case scenarios because they always happen to me even when it suppose to be happy occasion. Its also not my money either, so I not out additional cash for paying others. Your entitled to your opinion, just like everyone esle but be ready to call out for it when using /sailing a cruise line you claim to not like.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk