Salerno to Capri?

aggiemom11

Several people have posted good, detailed info about going from Salerno to Capri. A special ferry apparently runs on days when ships are in port, otherwise the ferry schedule for returning to the ship would likely not work.

I suggest you go back to the page for the main Italy board and in the small search box near the top right, type in "Salerno Capri" and you will get several threads (just tried it myself so I know it works, too many for me to copy and paste into this post).

Last August we docked in Salerno on the Serenade of the Seas (same itinerary as VOS this year). Because we planned to take the 0820 ferry to Amalfi, we arrived at Molo Manfredi at about 0815. Although it's not on the website, the ferry company had pasted on their window a piece of paper indicated that they offered a special cruiser's ferry round trip to Capri. We talked about changing our plans and going to Capri, but we decided against it because we already had extensive hiking plans for Amalfi. I don't recall the exact timing for the departure, but I'm sure it was around the same time as our Amalfi ferry. Note also that, unlike the regular public Amalfi ferry, there was only one departure and one return ferry to Capri, as this was a special cruiser's ferry. I believe that the return was around 1530.

If you want to do this, I suggest that you get to Molo Manfredi (not Concordia) by 0815, as we did. I also suggest that you have backup plans, in case the ferry company is not running the cruiser's ferry this year. As Hank says, after all, it's Italy!

We agree with Cruisemom but would add some additional comments. It is a pretty long way from Salerno to Capri which is why most who spend time on the Amalfi Coast do their Capri day trips from Positano or Sorrento (Naples is also good). For cruisers we usually suggest they give strong consideration to a cruise ship excursion if they really want to make the trek from Salerno. There are really not a lot of do it yourself options that work for a cruise day. There are usually 2 high speed ferries that depart at 8:20 and 8:40. The ride takes close to 1 1/2 hours to Capri. These ferries work fine for cruises that are in early enough but the problem is the return. The earliest return ferry leaves Capri at 4:25 and is scheduled to dock in Salerno at 5:50. But if the seas are running a bit high or there is a lot of wind there can be delays. You probably are supposed to be back onboard by 6 pm so a scheduled 5:50 arrival is too risky. If the cruise line has an excursion they will probably use these same ferries, and if you could somehow know this in advance then going on your own would be OK. Otherwise, just make sure you have a Plan B, which is how to catch-up to your ship the following day :).

By the way, those ferries cost about 42€ round trip which you might want to compare to the price of an excursion.

Hank

Hank