Cruise Critic Community
ClaireP

Millennium class dinner buffet options?

Wonder if any recent millennium class cruisers could confirm what is on offer in the buffet for dinner please?

Solstice class have pizza, pasta, sushi, stir fry, Indian, a roast meat and cook to order chops, chicken etc

Thanks in advance for insight

Similar choices, but on a smaller scale. I always enjoyed the buffet on the S class ships. My last cruise, on the Millennium, I was disappointed with the buffet. The quality, selection and "flow" (layout) of the buffet were all inferior to my experiences on the S class ships. Other than that, it was an excellent cruise.

The Indian was pretty good. The Thai was too salty, IMO.

Edited by Nachosdelux

We were on the Infinity in Oct. and I think everything mentioned by the OP was on the evening buffet. At the very back you could get steaks and quite a few other choices grilled. The sir fry was popular then there were many items on the buffet. Part of it is more of a cafeteria set up but in some ways I found that flowed better than everyone bouncing between the "islands" on the S class ships.

Thanks both. May probably not take my formal gear then (lighter on the packing) and eat in buffet then

Claire

Many of us just continue our dressy casual on formal nights and continue in the main dining room. Formal dress is suggested not mandatory

Claire

Many of us just continue our dressy casual on formal nights and continue in the main dining room. Formal dress is suggested not mandatory

oh...another dress code comment...and untrue. You can and often will be turned away if you show up in casual or even smart casual clothes at the MDR on formal night.

From Celebrity web site:

The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants.

Translated, that means that you may not be admitted to the MDR in smart casual or less.

Edited by ghstudio

The dress code isn't really enforced on Med Cruises.

It's really misleading when someone says "it's only suggested, not mandatory" or "it isn't really enforced on Mediterranean cruises".....because those are absolute statements. It's equally likely that the OP and others will find themselves on a cruise where the dress code is enforced.

Folks come to CC to get information and they need to understand the difference between...."you may find on your cruise" and "ignore the celebrity published policy"

It's fine to say that your experience is ........... but don't generalize based on your experience without using words like most/many/often....

Edited by ghstudio

I can speak to the Buffet on Summit last year. I was quite surprised that it was very extensive. They had several carving stations that comprised of whole chickens, pork roasts and beef. If you feel like a relaxing evening, it's a nice alternative.

I miss the $2 dinner they used to have in the Ocean View Café. It was a great alternative to the MDR. They did away with it about 4-5 years ago.

Wonder if any recent millennium class cruisers could confirm what is on offer in the buffet for dinner please?

Solstice class have pizza, pasta, sushi, stir fry, Indian, a roast meat and cook to order chops, chicken etc

The same on the M-class ships, and don't forget the salad bar and the ice cream station there too.

I like to head to the back of the ship for the grilled-to-order fish, chicken or meat, add some veggies, a salad and baked potato (sometimes a bowl of soup too), and step outside to sit down and eat at a table on the back deck overlooking the wake.

Sometimes I pick up a glass of wine or a cocktail at the sunset bar back there, while other times I happy to drink iced tea or lemonade or coffee or hot chocolate.

(Shhh! Don't tell anyone, but I often prefer that to a long, drawn out dinner in a noisy, crowded dining room.)

Edited by varoo

The sushi makes a nice pre-dinner snack on one's balcony with some wine :) Much better than the canapes they deliver to some classes of cabins.

Thanks all for the updates - the buffet sounds as though it would work for us when we need it to. We do the same on the Solstice class just been a while for us on M class

Re the dress comments - everyone has their personal view but I am happy celebrity enforce the dress code for the dining room and they should continue to do so. If I choose not to take my formal clothes, I do not expect to eat in the restaurant on formal night

can someone define Casual Smart please?? and what is formal? i have a little balck dress and bf is dong a jacket and tie.. Alaska is the last frontier and too far to travel to bring a formal tux.

can someone define Casual Smart please?? and what is formal? i have a little balck dress and bf is dong a jacket and tie.. Alaska is the last frontier and too far to travel to bring a formal tux.

The Code details are spelled out in the Celebrity FAQs. I take a dark suit for formal nights, the suit fits and travels better than my tux. You can rent tux onboard.

my bf is 6' 4" and over 300lbs.. I doubt they would have a tux to fit him.. I would not pay for that anyway.. He is wearing a navy blue jacket and tie.. But I would raise a real stink witht he cruise line if we were told that a street length black dress and a jacket would keep us from eating a dinner we paid for.

The pasta station on the Millie is very good. Select the ingredients and they will cook it up for you.

oh...another dress code comment...and untrue. You can and often will be turned away if you show up in casual or even smart casual clothes at the MDR on formal night.

From Celebrity web site:

The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants.

Translated, that means that you may not be admitted to the MDR in smart casual or less.

I have never, never seen dress code enforced on any Celebrity cruise. They simply don't pay attention or are afraid to try to enforce. I have seen men in jeans in MDR on formal nights. I wear smart casual every night to every venue.

That is appropriate for formal night. Most 7 day cruises have 2 formal nights. My husband always wears the same jacket and tie both nights, so don't fret and overpack. You will probably never see these people again!

Before we get into more back and forth on dress code and what to wear on formal nites and what we think is enforced or not, I'd suggest it be taken to the thread with over 900 posts at the top of this forum where it belongs before our Hosts remove posts or shut this down.

Den