crown princess boarding delayed 4-18??

marcyjane

The last time we were on the Crown, there was a Noro outbreak. People up and down the hall came down with it. Even my whale watching friend next door got Noro. We were fortunate and never contracted it.

We received letters in our cabin, and the captain gave frequent updates (over the speaker system( on the percentage of cases onboard.

I carry Lysol spray on every cruise. It states that it kills Noro and other viruses. I even have a small personal size that I use to spray a small amount on my hands periodically. So far, I haven't had it.

Edited by redtogo

The last time we were on the Crown, there was a Noro outbreak. People up and down the hall came down with it. Even my whale watching friend next door got Noro. We were fortunate and never contracted it.

We received letters in our cabin, and the captain gave frequent updates (over the speaker system( on the percentage of cases onboard.

I carry Lysol spray on every cruise. It states that it kills Noro and other viruses. I even have a small personal size that I use to spray a small amount on my hands periodically. So far, I haven't had it.

The only that kills Noro is bleach and washing with soap and water for 2 minutes . This information that my Doctor and Registered Nurses supplied

to our family.

The Crown Princess embarkation was delayed out of San Pedro today due to another needed deep cleaning of the ship.

Here is the notice Princess sent out:

IMPORTANT NOTICES

CROWN PRINCESS PRE-BOARDING HEALTH ADVISORY

Please be advised that during the current cruise there has been a slightly higher than expected number of cases of gastrointestinal illness among guests suspected to be caused by norovirus. Throughout the cruise we have been carrying out a comprehensive sanitation program and although case numbers remain relatively low, in an abundance of caution we have arranged for the ship to undergo an additional disinfection in Los Angeles on Saturday, April 18, 2015. Check-in for your cruise will be delayed until 2:00 PM. Please do not arrive earlier than 1:30 PM as the terminal will be closed for sanitation and there will be no seating or services available. To minimize terminal congestion we use a progressive check-in schedule as follows:

2:00 PM - Dolphin and Emerald Decks: Cabins begin with D or E

2:45 PM - Caribe and Riviera Decks: Cabins begin with C or R

3:30 PM - Aloha and Lido Decks: Cabins begin with A or L

4:15 PM - Baja and Plaza Decks: Cabins begin with B or P

Crown Princess is expected to depart Los Angeles at 6:00 PM.

Will the Noro issue on the Crown ever be fixed? Seems like at least every other month the Crown is being hit with the Noro Virus. Makes you wonder if it has ever been completely rid of the bug???

Will the Noro issue on the Crown ever be fixed? Seems like at least every other month the Crown is being hit with the Noro Virus. Makes you wonder if it has ever been completely rid of the bug???

Assuming we are not simply getting more reports on Crown noro because of notoriety, there does seem to be a problem. Although I did see one post mention that there was a full house and 700 kids aboard, so maybe everyone's hygiene was not what we would prefer.

Edited by Wehwalt

The Crown Princess embarkation was delayed out of San Pedro today due to another needed deep cleaning of the ship.

Here is the notice Princess sent out:

IMPORTANT NOTICES

CROWN PRINCESS PRE-BOARDING HEALTH ADVISORY

Please be advised that during the current cruise there has been a slightly higher than expected number of cases of gastrointestinal illness among guests suspected to be caused by norovirus. Throughout the cruise we have been carrying out a comprehensive sanitation program and although case numbers remain relatively low, in an abundance of caution we have arranged for the ship to undergo an additional disinfection in Los Angeles on Saturday, April 18, 2015. Check-in for your cruise will be delayed until 2:00 PM. Please do not arrive earlier than 1:30 PM as the terminal will be closed for sanitation and there will be no seating or services available. To minimize terminal congestion we use a progressive check-in schedule as follows:

2:00 PM - Dolphin and Emerald Decks: Cabins begin with D or E

2:45 PM - Caribe and Riviera Decks: Cabins begin with C or R

3:30 PM - Aloha and Lido Decks: Cabins begin with A or L

4:15 PM - Baja and Plaza Decks: Cabins begin with B or P

Crown Princess is expected to depart Los Angeles at 6:00 PM.

Other ships are dealing With this, one Celebrity and another RCCL.

Assuming we are not simply getting more reports on Crown noro because of notoriety, there does seem to be a problem. Although I did see one post mention that there was a full house and 700 kids aboard, so maybe everyone's hygiene was not what we would prefer.

Some of it is just bad luck combined with a "snowball" effect of multiple ships coming into this port with Noro outbreaks. (although San Diego has it worse - Celebrity Infinity and RC LotS just in the past week). You end up with crowds of people in the cruise terminal spreading the bug before the new passengers even get on the ship.

Edited by Illyria

Some of it is just bad luck combined with a "snowball" effect of multiple ships coming into this port with Noro outbreaks. (although San Diego has it worse - Celebrity Infinity and RC LotS just in the past week). You end up with crowds of people in the cruise terminal spreading the bug before the new passengers even get on the ship.

While this may be true to some extent I will point out that in our case on the Crown a couple of weeks ago my DH definitely picked up the virus onboard. He became ill on the 5th evening of our 7 night cruise and given the incubation period for noro is generally 1 to 3 days he must have been exposed on the ship. My daughter and I both came down with it almost exactly 36 hours after he first became ill. It's hard to avoid when you are sharing a cabin even with stringent hand washing!

Edited by karatemom2

The only that kills Noro is bleach and washing with soap and water for 2 minutes . This information that my Doctor and Registered Nurses supplied

to our family.

This is no longer correct. Recent innovations with "boosted" alcohol gels like VF481 (which is what is in the dispensers, and not what you can buy at the drugstore) achieves significant kill of NV on hands.

Citation: http://www.foodprotect.org/issues/packets/2012packet/attachments/III_025__all.pdf

While this may be true to some extent I will point out that in our case on the Crown a couple of weeks ago my DH definitely picked up the virus onboard.

Right, just to clarify - I didn't imply that everyone who got sick on that cruise picked it up in port. All it took was *some* people that picked up the virus in the terminal and carried it onto the ship...to be spread around some more.

I'm just off the Crown from 4-11 to 4-18. If I recall correctly, there were about 25 people who were symptomatic. Definitely not a large amount, but enough to stop the buffet from being self-serve and crewmembers reminding everyone to wash their hands.

We got off the ship on the 18th. There were 11 people with 'norovirus' - ELEVEN. Not something to panic about though I understand the crew doing an extra scrubbing. If people would just use common sense and wash their hands before touching their faces or eating their bread at dinner after playing slots or running their hands down the handrails they would be fine.

I would not call 11 people an "outbreak". A couple people come on sick and then a few more catch it. You can get norovirus at the grocery store. Some people probably catch it on the flight to the ship and the symptoms don't show up until they're on the ship. They blame the cruise ship. It's just bad luck for those who get it. I'm glad to hear the crew is on top of it. I was on the Crown 4/4/15 to 4/11/15 and never heard or saw any indication. As someone else mentioned there between 600 - 700 children on board that cruise, so a lot of people and a lot of fingers touching everything.

This is no longer correct. Recent innovations with "boosted" alcohol gels like VF481 (which is what is in the dispensers, and not what you can buy at the drugstore) achieves significant kill of NV on hands.

Citation: http://www.foodprotect.org/issues/packets/2012packet/attachments/III_025__all.pdf

Princess uses the "boosted" gels, at least on the Golden. I read the label myself on the dispenser in the HC :).

Makes me think that rather than a passenger it is one or a few staff that are not using proper sanitation techniques and is passing it to the Pax. A passive carrier that is not affected themselves perhaps

Will the Noro issue on the Crown ever be fixed? Seems like at least every other month the Crown is being hit with the Noro Virus. Makes you wonder if it has evevr been completely been with of the bug???

I don't know how many times on another cruise line did I see people not wash their hands or use the sanitizers! Seriously, I saw one particular woman barely rinse her fingertips. No soap nothing, ewww! It's no wonder it spreads. Seems many leave their common sense at the port.

Not necessarily. While the paper did show a reduction with some of the products, it is far from certain if the reduction is sufficient to make an impact on the spread. The paper itself raised that question and indicated that study would need to be done to determine that.

Since it only takes a very few viruses to successfully infect someone, even an 85% reduction, still leaves 15% to infect.