Jamies on Anthem

I am not usually petty about spending on vacation but I think the a la carte pricing is ridiculous. We have pre-paid at Jaime's for our upcoming Anthem cruise and I hope it is honored. I am having my TA check on it.

Not to worry. It will be honored according what RCL was telling folks on my cruise on AN June 1st

I am not usually petty about spending on vacation but I think the a la carte pricing is ridiculous. We have pre-paid at Jaime's for our upcoming Anthem cruise and I hope it is honored. I am having my TA check on it.

Article on CC today with a quote from Royal VP saying it will be honoured.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6313

Brian Abel, Vice President Food & Beverage, said the move had been driven by Jamie Oliver's “team” in the UK and is also being trialled on Quantum of the Seas.

However, he confirmed that anyone who pre-booked the restaurant as a cover charge restaurant would have their booking honored.

Anyone else already booked and paid for Speciality on upcoming Anthem cruises and yesterday received an Email from Royal Caribbean offering 50% of speciality dining in the form of an onboard credit if booked between 17th April and 8th May.

If so, have you contacted them to cancel and rebook or have they arranged to credit the difference?

Thanks

Apparently this discount is only available for UK bookings. RCCL over here in the US know nothing about it !!!!

Could it be that given Anthem is in the UK for the summer, and Jamie's land restaurants are UK based, that they are switching it to a la carte to match land restaurants until it leaves the UK? They would not want their version of Jamie's to price differently then the other locations in the area I would assume. Anyone with a Bayonne departure Anthem trip see a la carte pricing for Jamie's on their booking?

Just checked my December Anthem cruise and Jamie's is showing a la carte pricing.

Just checked my December Anthem cruise and Jamie's is showing a la carte pricing.

Thanks. My Anthem cruise, which is in 2016, still shows no reservations available. I wonder how come you can see December cruise options when I can't see anything for my November Allure?!

We have it booked for the Quantum next week and the Anthem in July and having read the piece on CC which I note Ourusualbeach had linked I expect to get both honoured and have taken a screen shot of this incase to back it up.

Such a shame as we were also going to have lunch there one day but will not be now.

From the piece it reads

In a separate move, Royal has changed Jamie Oliver's Italian restaurant from a cover charge of $15 for lunch and $25 for dinner to a la carte pricing -– which has also angered many Cruise Critic members. A pasta dish is priced at $15, meaning a full meal with wine could set you back by as much as $100 per person.

Brian Abel, Vice President Food & Beverage, said the move had been driven by Jamie Oliver's “team” in the UK and is also being trialled on Quantum of the Seas.

However, he confirmed that anyone who pre-booked the restaurant as a cover charge restaurant would have their booking honored.

Thanks. My Anthem cruise, which is in 2016, still shows no reservations available. I wonder how come you can see December cruise options when I can't see anything for my November Allure?!

All reservations vary by ship. Some open up a lot earlier than others.

I had actually booked all my dining for this cruise last summer.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Jamie was one good restaurant on the ship. We had the best meal on Quantum while at lunch at Jamie's. Walk-in, no line, and $15 for adults, $8 and $0 for kids. Lunch is quieter as people prefer to eat light, and there was no wait and many many empty tables. We thought it was great food and great value. But switching it to a la carte and charging prices like that? No thank you. It is not worth that much up-charge from a free meal that I had already paid for in the cruise fee.

The dining capacity on Quantum is already lacking. Jamie's help ease by having some guests at that restaurant. Moving it to a la carte is all about getting more $$$, instead of easing the congested dining at the complimentary restaurant. Good move RCI?!

Jamie was one good restaurant on the ship. We had the best meal on Quantum while at lunch at Jamie's. Walk-in, no line, and $15 for adults, $8 and $0 for kids. Lunch is quieter as people prefer to eat light, and there was no wait and many many empty tables. We thought it was great food and great value. But switching it to a la carte and charging prices like that? No thank you. It is not worth that much up-charge from a free meal that I had already paid for in the cruise fee.

The dining capacity on Quantum is already lacking. Jamie's help ease by having some guests at that restaurant. Moving it to a la carte is all about getting more $$$, instead of easing the congested dining at the complimentary restaurant. Good move RCI?!

Good points. We canceled dinner res. and MAY try it for lunch on Day 1. Does anyone know how the LUNCH a la carte pricing compares with dinner pricing? Same? Lower?

Edited by OTownNick

Could it be that given Anthem is in the UK for the summer, and Jamie's land restaurants are UK based, that they are switching it to a la carte to match land restaurants until it leaves the UK? They would not want their version of Jamie's to price differently then the other locations in the area I would assume. Anyone with a Bayonne departure Anthem trip see a la carte pricing for Jamie's on their booking?

I am from the UK and can get to a jamie restaurant in an hour

I was going to do lunch but am not prepared to pay a la carte when I have paid for "food" on the cruise. I was happy to pay a surcharge but think RC is being greedy pricing it as a la carte :mad: I am happy to eat elsewhere but think it is wrong

I still don't know what will happen for lunch menu

Good points. We canceled dinner res. and MAY try it for lunch on Day 1. Does anyone know how the LUNCH a la carte pricing compares with dinner pricing? Same? Lower?

Trying to find out but not sure how to get the info. Same as you was going to have lunch on day one

We have it booked for the Quantum next week and the Anthem in July and having read the piece on CC which I note Ourusualbeach had linked I expect to get both honoured and have taken a screen shot of this incase to back it up.

Such a shame as we were also going to have lunch there one day but will not be now.

From the piece it reads

In a separate move, Royal has changed Jamie Oliver's Italian restaurant from a cover charge of $15 for lunch and $25 for dinner to a la carte pricing -– which has also angered many Cruise Critic members. A pasta dish is priced at $15, meaning a full meal with wine could set you back by as much as $100 per person.

So even lunch is a la carte :( bye bye jamie

So even lunch is a la carte :( bye bye jamie

Some of the posts I've read about Quantum have mentioned long lines to get in Jamie's. Maybe the switch to a la carte will help reduce the lines.

In his live chat Michael Bayley referred to their partnership with Jamie Oliver and that it was Jamie's team that wanted to pursue this.

This statement makes me wonder if Royal is just renting the space to Jamie's and taking a fixed amount of money for the space. Perhaps their initial pricing model was not getting the profits that they expected after food costs and Jamie needed to up the price to make it work?

Well they certainly won't be getting any business from us, we had planned to have lunch there on one of the first days to see what it was like. The lunch cover charge made it reasonable however those a la carte prices are not worth paying for what you get.

More nickel & diming that is only likely to have a negative effect on an already stretched dining concept, especially with cruisers on the early trips acting as lab rats for 'classic dining'.

Well they certainly won't be getting any business from us, we had planned to have lunch there on one of the first days to see what it was like. The lunch cover charge made it reasonable however those a la carte prices are not worth paying for what you get.

More nickel & diming that is only likely to have a negative effect on an already stretched dining concept, especially with cruisers on the early trips acting as lab rats for 'classic dining'.

This is more of Jamie Oliver's doing than RCL. But I think for lunch I'd rather try Michaels Genuine Pub instead of Jamie's if I'm going to pay a la carte