Please Help

chug

Please can anyone help?

I feel like iam going to have a breakdown and this is making my husband ill. we are a family with 2 teenage daughters, 13 and 15. We are booked to go on Anthem on Aug !st 2015 and have had this booked for a year. Last night we looked at the deck plan. When we booked we made sure myself and my husband were directly opposite my daughters cabin. ( Royal Caribbean insist on this in their policies - that anyone under 21 is opposite or next to their parents ) it also was the only way we wanted to travel. We were assured by both our agents, Thompsons and Royal Caribbean that this is what we had. On looking at the plan last night we realised that we were actually opposite the BACK of our daughters room and that there is a corridor between us making us actually nowhere near each other. We went straight to Thompsons who at first said this was not the case and not to worry. Then they had a closer look. They rang Royal Caribbean who also insisted everything was fine and that we were opposite. After our third attempt to explain their own deck plan to them, they were shocked to realise we were not. The man on the phone said he had worked there for 10 years and did not realise the deck of this new ship was layed out this way.Basically no one is helping us, we can not believe it. We need to know the head of customer relations for Royal Caribbean - can anyone please help.

I am very sorry this has happened to you. It sounds like you are working with a travel agent, and that they told you they'd booked you into cabins with doors opposite each other. If so, they have to do whatever it takes now to fix this -- have they (and you) looked into other available cabins?

I hope you are able to get things worked out, and that you have a great cruise.

I am very sorry this has happened to you. It sounds like you are working with a travel agent, and that they told you they'd booked you into cabins with doors opposite each other. If so, they have to do whatever it takes now to fix this -- have they (and you) looked into other available cabins?

I hope you are able to get things worked out, and that you have a great cruise.

Hi, thank you, apparently the ship is, as we feared, almost full now. We were given the option of two cabins next door but two to each other which was fine but then they said that because we got this cruise at a promotional price a year ago they would treat this as a new booking and charge us more! Both Thomsons and Royal Caribbean did not know their own deck plan and it took us to point this out to them. The advisor at Royal Caribbean was French and rude and offered no apologies or solutions.

Hi, thank you, apparently the ship is, as we feared, almost full now. We were given the option of two cabins next door but two to each other which was fine but then they said that because we got this cruise at a promotional price a year ago they would treat this as a new booking and charge us more! Both Thomsons and Royal Caribbean did not know their own deck plan and it took us to point this out to them. The advisor at Royal Caribbean was French and rude and offered no apologies or solutions.

Question: when you first booked, did YOU look at the deck plan, or were you relying on your TA? If the latter, do you have anything in writing confirming that your cabins had opposite doors, or at least your telling your TA that you needed this? Because if the fault here is your TA's, then it seems to me they need to absorb the increased price, and I'd be all over them about that. If the fault is RCI's then your TA needs to go up the chain of command at RCI and get this fixed. And it sounds like your TA better be putting those two nearby cabins on hold for you before they disappear as well.

I'm not familiar with RCI's policies on kids under 21, but if they allowed a booking that was not "legal," then that's on your TA and/or them; again, one of them needs to fix this per the above.

If you really need to go to the top at RCI (and you shoudn't, that's what your TA is for), Michael Bayley is now President and CEO of RCI. According to other thread, his e mail is mbayley@rccl.com

Question: when you first booked, did YOU look at the deck plan, or were you relying on your TA? If the latter, do you have anything in writing confirming that your cabins had opposite doors, or at least your telling your TA that you needed this? Because if the fault here is your TA's, then it seems to me they need to absorb the increased price, and I'd be all over them about that. If the fault is RCI's then your TA needs to go up the chain of command at RCI and get this fixed. And it sounds like your TA better be putting those two nearby cabins on hold for you before they disappear as well.

I'm not familiar with RCI's policies on kids under 21, but if they allowed a booking that was not "legal," then that's on your TA and/or them; again, one of them needs to fix this per the above.

If you really need to go to the top at RCI (and you shoudn't, that's what your TA is for), Michael Bayley is now President and CEO of RCI. According to other thread, his e mail is mbayley@rccl.com

Thank you so much, we didn't see a plan when we originally booked. we were just told deck 7, opposite each other, even today both TA and RC were insisting we were until they realised we actually were not. You are right, its not up to us to sort it out but you know when you get the feeling that no one is actually interested and you lose faith in them all. The TA was closing for the day and RC advisor was so adamant that there was nothing they could do but charge us extra. Thank you again for your help and sending the CEO email. I have a feeling my husband will be up all night trying to sort it out, he's so worked up

Below is the policy copied right from the RCI web site. I assume that RCI were provided with the passenger details at the time of booking, and assume that they assigned the children to a stateroom in violation of their own policy. I agree that this should be straightened up between your TA and RCI.

Onboard Policies

Q: What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A: Royal Caribbean International's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age to sail unaccompanied on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Below is the policy copied right from the RCI web site. I assume that RCI were provided with the passenger details at the time of booking, and assume that they assigned the children to a stateroom in violation of their own policy. I agree that this should be straightened up between your TA and RCI.

Onboard Policies

Q: What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A: Royal Caribbean International's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age to sail unaccompanied on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Like much information on royals website this is outdated.

Their current policy regarding kids is that as long as they are in a cabin directly beside or directly across the hall from their parents they can be in their own cabin.

It is still royals fault though as they did not follow their policy and allowed the OP to book cabins that did not meet their policy.

OP. E mail mbayley@rccl.com. A member of the executive corporate guest relations team will respond. They need to make it right as it was clearly their fault.

I would be very interested to hear how this situation gets resolved or handled.

Hi everyone, we are having terrible trouble at the moment. Our TA is getting nowhere and has spoken to Guatemala call centre on a number of occasions as has my husband. They have offered us two balcony rooms next to each other but are saying we will have to not only cover the increased cost but are also stating that the drinks inclusive package that we originally had will not not stand. When we originally booked a year ago there was a promotion that we took advantage of. They will not honour this. It has upset us all so much. we can not believe the way RCI are dealing with the matter after all this has been their error and we have done absolutely nothing wrong. Today they have offered us our money back. We have booked a hotel in Southhampton and my husband has booked these two weeks off work. We have been watching the videos of the ship feeling all excited and now we feel so stressed and let down by RCI. My husband will email Michael Bailey this evening but it seems like anyone with any authority is actually enjoying a freebie on Anthem of the Seas at the moment.

I know this won't be ideal but why not keep the original cabins? RC can't not allow you aboard because they allowed you to book them against their own policies.

I'm sure you won't want your daughters alone so you'll probably have to split yourself and DH up, but at least you won't have to cancel, giving you a bit more time to try and sort it.

RC - you read these boards, come on, step up and get this sorted.

Chug --- I'm very sorry this still hasn't been resolved. I know that everyone wants to blame RCI (and at bottom, they allowed a booking that violates their rules, so they really should fix the problem), but what about your TA? Were they not responsible for looking at the deck plan and reading it correctly so that you would have the cabins opposite each other that you wanted? Are they not accepting any responsiblity here? What are they telling you?

They may well have insurance that covers them for financial loss due to their own errors (f they made any), and if so should use it to book you in the new cabins at the increased price, with whatever promos you had originally. And even if they don't, if they were at fault, they should eat the additional cost of the new cabins.

But I also agree with others -- come on RCI, fix this!

Edited by Turtles06

I agree. The cabins were booked in good faith, using a professional service. When you use a travel agent you are trusting they know what they are doing. Additionally, RCI allowed the booking to go through without enforcing their own guidelines. Both parties are responsible here. However I would agree the TA is the most responsible as they are your Agents they should pay the difference. Come on RCI make this right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by ladybird1292

I know this won't be ideal but why not keep the original cabins?

OP, you have to decide - do you want to go at all?

If you do, then take a huge step away from this and ask yourself if the slightly extra distance between your rooms is worth the aggrevation and stress you are experiencing.

As others have said, let the TA work this, if they can. Send that e-mail, but after that, step away from the situation - you'll be all stressed out over something maybe out of your control.

The head in the UK is Stuart leven......sleven@rccl.com. The deck plans have a little mark in them which indicates where the door opening is, so you can see which corridor. Hard to pinpoint the blame as both your TA and the RCI agent should have been looking at the same deck plans, however I suspect it is the agents fault.

They also have a team in the USA who check all bookings with children to check they comply with the rules, so this so this should be picked up by them anyhow.

Worse case swap an adult into each room.....They don't police to see where every one sleeps though!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Edited by little britain

OK had a look at deck 7 forward where the problem seems to be.

How far down is the inside cabin?

One solution RCI have is to swap your cabins into the 714* area so they are very close to the insides 71(4/5)*

if you are in a 75** balcony that requires a change of side.

Only one inside showing available 12709(K) aft. and not a lot else in balconies. nearest is 12718(D

pretty clear in the UK T&C(5.3)

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/_images/WW16_114-129_TCs_UK_tcm16-11237.pdf

Individual staterooms may only be occupied solely by minors where such

staterooms are adjacent (directly opposite or next door) to the stateroom of the parent

Allthough they have forgotton to put stateroom doors are ajacent/opposite).

The new booking is RCI trying it on

As a last resort if your kids are sensible I would probably live with it(or do sleepovers), finding another option in the school hols won't be easy.

There is a JS with connecting room available 6632 6628 bet they won't give you those.

there are 3 other sets of connecting balconies.

A big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to comment and give their advice. Just as a background, when we first booked this cruise in August in 2014 the TA did not have any deck plans available and reliant upon RCI and made the booking over the phone. The mistake appears to have been down to Guatemalan staff at their remote call centre who did not realise that these cabins were not opposite each other and even when we brought it to their attention last week, the representative still insisted that they were for a good 5 minutes before he studied the brochure himself!

Our TA were Thomson and were adamant that it was not down to them and it was a RCI mistake. They only ever contacted the Guatemala call centre ( and that was after we had already done so ) and came back to us saying unfortunately nothing could be done. They would not be covering the extra cost because they felt it was not down to them.

Thankfully my husband, having had to take time of work to deal with this, managed to contact Michael Bayley (RCI president) and thank God within one day everything has been sorted out. We have been allocated rooms next door to each other and will still pay the promotional price we were originally quoted.

Thank you all again for your support

Chug

A big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to comment and give their advice. Just as a background, when we first booked this cruise in August in 2014 the TA did not have any deck plans available and reliant upon RCI and made the booking over the phone. The mistake appears to have been down to Guatemalan staff at their remote call centre who did not realise that these cabins were not opposite each other and even when we brought it to their attention last week, the representative still insisted that they were for a good 5 minutes before he studied the brochure himself!

Our TA were Thomson and were adamant that it was not down to them and it was a RCI mistake. They only ever contacted the Guatemala call centre ( and that was after we had already done so ) and came back to us saying unfortunately nothing could be done. They would not be covering the extra cost because they felt it was not down to them.

Thankfully my husband, having had to take time of work to deal with this, managed to contact Michael Bayley (RCI president) and thank God within one day everything has been sorted out. We have been allocated rooms next door to each other and will still pay the promotional price we were originally quoted.

Chug

Love a happy ending! Enjoy your cruise :D

Chug

That is great! Whew!

Now you can once again start to get excited about your upcoming vacation. Have a great time!

Excellent news that you have the problem sorted but very sad you have had so much stress whilst trying to do it.

Just a little aside the Godmother of the Anthem is a Thomson travel agent and she was on the 2 day cruise,hope she is better equiped to advise clents after being on the ship and seeing it for herself.