MS Prinsendam Baltic, Kiel Canal and Celtic Explorer, May 20-June 17, 2015

rafinmd

There is no other way to describe this day than LONG. After an early breakfast at the hotel, I left at 7AM (1AM Baltimore time) and had an uneventful checkin with the exception that the guy in passport control was extremely curious about my travels. My flight to London was pleasantly short, about an hour and a quarter, arriving just 20 minutes later than leaving with a time change.

I was not thrilled with Heathrow. Despite security people watching what should have been obvious they took exception to my Ipad being with my netbook and moved my bag to a secondary screening area with a long line of bags, and the area was abandoned by staff for about 10 minutes It was a full hour going through passport control and security.

I still had a long layover with a lot of reading in Heathrow. My flight to Baltimore was accessed through a bus and left just about on time. Still 8 ½ hours is a LONG time to sit in a plane. We encountered thunderstorms on the east coast causing some rerouting and arrived at our gate at 8PM, about 10 minutes behind schedule. The Airport Shuttle arrived within 5 minutes of my call, and I walked in my door about 10, 21 hours after leaving the hotel. Let’s just say I was a bit tired.

Roy

There is no other way to describe this day than LONG. After an early breakfast at the hotel, I left at 7AM (1AM Baltimore time) and had an uneventful checkin with the exception that the guy in passport control was extremely curious about my travels. My flight to London was pleasantly short, about an hour and a quarter, arriving just 20 minutes later than leaving with a time change.

I was not thrilled with Heathrow. Despite security people watching what should have been obvious they took exception to my Ipad being with my netbook and moved my bag to a secondary screening area with a long line of bags, and the area was abandoned by staff for about 10 minutes It was a full hour going through passport control and security.

I still had a long layover with a lot of reading in Heathrow. My flight to Baltimore was accessed through a bus and left just about on time. Still 8 ½ hours is a LONG time to sit in a plane. We encountered thunderstorms on the east coast causing some rerouting and arrived at our gate at 8PM, about 10 minutes behind schedule. The Airport Shuttle arrived within 5 minutes of my call, and I walked in my door about 10, 21 hours after leaving the hotel. Let’s just say I was a bit tired.

Roy

Oh Roy, I HATE Heathrow. I had the same problem. They told me to leave my Ipad in my bag but because of the key board I was subject to a secondary search as well. grrrrr. Now I take them out no matter what I am told.

So glad you are home safely.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us.

It was so nice cruising vicariously with you :) :D

I was not thrilled with Heathrow.

NOBODY is "thrilled" with Heathrow.

I think it's a requirement that the people in charge do something to make matters worse if they even suspect you're not put out. :rolleyes:

Welcome home.

Welcome home, Roy!

Ah, Heathrow and T5 which is a shopping mall with airplanes attached. I hate that A10 gate you got shoved with, too. We just flew back from Heathrow and flew into Dulles to fly the new A380 - a MUCH better ride than the ancient 767 they fly to BWI.

And coming off a cruise cruise like yours, that's always a rough day! Thanks again for taking us along.

Roy, thank you for sharing your adventures!

Re: "I walked in my door about 10, 21 hours after leaving the hotel. Let’s just say I was a bit tired."

We had 21 hour travel days each way for our recent Zuiderdam cruise. No fun at all. Still working so can't take the time to do the water route across the Atlantic. I see your next several crossings are by sea - so those will be better!

Welcome home and less than two months until your next adventure!

Arie

Roy, thank you for sharing your adventures!

Re: "I walked in my door about 10, 21 hours after leaving the hotel. Let’s just say I was a bit tired."

We had 21 hour travel days each way for our recent Zuiderdam cruise. No fun at all. Still working so can't take the time to do the water route across the Atlantic. I see your next several crossings are by sea - so those will be better!

Welcome home and less than two months until your next adventure!

Arie

Thank you, everybody. I find retirement awesome. There are differing schools of thought on sailing eastbound or westbound due to the hours lost or gained in the voyage. All the Westbound TA's I've seen have changed the clocks at 2AM, while the some Eastbound crossings do it at 2AM ans others at noon. Generally I prefer noon, although the best I've experienced was on the Rotterdam where a couple of days they moved the clocks forward twice, both at noon and 2AM. I liked that as it left a short but somewhat reasonably proportioned day.

In any case, any of the schemes for losing an hour or 2 at a time are far better than losing 5 hours all at once on a flight.

Roy

Thank you, everybody. I find retirement awesome. There are differing schools of thought on sailing eastbound or westbound due to the hours lost or gained in the voyage. All the Westbound TA's I've seen have changed the clocks at 2AM, while the some Eastbound crossings do it at 2AM ans others at noon. Generally I prefer noon, although the best I've experienced was on the Rotterdam where a couple of days they moved the clocks forward twice, both at noon and 2AM. I liked that as it left a short but somewhat reasonably proportioned day.

In any case, any of the schemes for losing an hour or 2 at a time are far better than losing 5 hours all at once on a flight.

Roy

Boy have you got that right :)

Thank you Jacqui and Rita. I have no more long flights planned until January. I have a short flight in October from London to Rome, but may cancel that and take the Epic from Southampton to Barcelona instead. I'm looking at the details on that. I want to try the studio cabins, but this may be my only easy chance to see Rome.

Roy

• 1 month later...

I'm getting ready to leave on the Prinsendam on September 16 and wondered if anyone had any difficulty with their IPAD in the cabin. I know laptops get better connectivity, so that is why I'm asking specifically for IPAD usage. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks, Linda

I'm getting ready to leave on the Prinsendam on September 16 and wondered if anyone had any difficulty with their IPAD in the cabin. I know laptops get better connectivity, so that is why I'm asking specifically for IPAD usage. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks, Linda

Linda, I have been taking my Ipad on the last few cruises and do use it on board. My live threads were all done on the Ipad. Prior to the Ipad, I took my netbook. I saw no difference in the connectivity. The Ipad worked great for me. Prinsendam's internet seemed much better to me on the last cruise, but my favourite place (if I had to do a lot of stuff) to go was the Crow's Nest - for the views, the comfy chairs and the wifi there :)

Last time it was fine in the room with the door closed. Time before, I had to open the door a crack for some reason.

Edited by kazu

Linda, I have an IPAD but it don't use it a lot online on the ship. I think Kazu does, and her email address is in her signature. I'd recommend checking with her.

Roy

Thank you for the info - appreciate it. Hope your cruise was great

Linda, I have been taking my Ipad on the last few cruises and do use it on board. My live threads were all done on the Ipad. Prior to the Ipad, I took my netbook. I saw no difference in the connectivity. The Ipad worked great for me. Prinsendam's internet seemed much better to me on the last cruise, but my favourite place (if I had to do a lot of stuff) to go was the Crow's Nest - for the views, the comfy chairs and the wifi there :)

Last time it was fine in the room with the door closed. Time before, I had to open the door a crack for some reason.

We have always done well with Holland, but didn't know if the Prinsendam was as up-to-date with their internet connectivity. This helps and since we won't be doing as much "work" on board ship on this cruise sitting up in the crows nest is always a nice thing to do - get an espresso and a cookie - life can't get any better :) Thanks for your help.