I don't want my kids to be...

rarasnake

CHOGs...

But, what do I tell them to do??

Here is the thing, I am not one for the sun. Sorry, I can't stand the heat or the sun. I love the inside areas where the air condition runs and I can look over the water...

My kids love the open water and sun. They plan on being out by the slides and waterworks areas for a few hours...

They will need to take towels (maybe? I am still trying to get the clarification of if I don't give them authorization to charge things, if they can still get a towel from the towel hut area), they will have small bags with sunscreen, sunglasses and flip flops... Where is the best place for them to store these items while they are having fun? I don't want them going back to the rooms, soaking wet, and leaking water everywhere. I want them to enjoy having fun but I don't want to babysit bags out on the Lido deck either. They will have BB's cards, so they can get a drink when they want too.. I just want them to be able to have fun, without getting yelled at. Can they drop their bags at the towel hut for safe keeping, along with their towels??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

At worst they can put all their stuff on one chair.

That's usually what we do. One time, when there was only one open chair on Lido and we went for it at the same time another couple did, we shared the chair with the other couple. Only one of us wanted to sun, and she agreed to watch all the belongings.:)

Never had or seen any problems with just leaving stuff on lounger while in pool, hot tub or slide. People leave things there for hours...chair hogs lol and no one bothers them.

There will be beach towels in your cabin. Take them with them and bring them back to cabin, if you do not return to cabin you will be charged.

Just wondering how old your kids are?

As mentioned on the other thread, there's a huge difference between placing your things on a chair within view while enjoying the pool deck, AND hogging a chair all day long while leaving the area completely to go eat, shop, take a nap, gamble, etc which is what a lot of people have a problem with.

Personally, I have a light backpack with my belonging and towel. It's either on my back or somewhere where I can see it if I'm in the water.

There's nothing that says that you can't go for a swim and leave your belongings on a chair for a few minutes. But I would tell my kids to collect their belongings if they will be gone for an extended period of time or if they will be leaving the area altogether.

Edited by Tapi

I have seen people walking down the hallways, dripping went from being in the pools or slides. I believe it is disrespectful and causing more work for the workers to do. I will not have my children doing that, period. We seen that a lot on our last cruise.. We will not be as far off from our room but I still think that people need to cover up with a towel and try to dry off some, before returning to their rooms...

Edited by rarasnake

They would be bringing their items with them, when they leave the area. That is no issue. If they are leaving the area, their items would be coming with them...

The ones that would be allowed to go without us will be 12 and 9. They don't swim in pools and they know the rules about where they are allowed to go.. It is either camp, room or that area and they know to keep together. They also take martial arts and we go over safety protocols with them. My husband and myself will take turns checking on them, throughout the day, also. They will be in camp a lot but they also want time to go on the slide, especially the first day when we are settling the room.

Also, I have seen people walking down the hallways, dripping went from being in the pools or slides. I believe it is disrespectful and causing more work for the workers to do. I will not have my children doing that, period. We seen that a lot on our last cruise.. We will not be as far off from our room but I still think that people need to cover up with a towel and try to dry off some, before returning to their rooms...

IMHO a 9 year old should have Adult supervision. Will no one be watching them? I know you said you would check in on them but there is no way I would leave my grandkids that age by themselves and they are very mature.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

That's usually what we do. One time, when there was only one open chair on Lido and we went for it at the same time another couple did, we shared the chair with the other couple. Only one of us wanted to sun, and she agreed to watch all the belongings.:)

LOVE this!!!!

The 9 year old will be watched over.. The 12 year old, she will get more room to roam... If I need to run off to CC because I have 2 other kids also, I don't want their items to take off and they not know where they are... My husband will only make brief looks out and see them (he flat refuses to go onto the Lido deck, except to eat)... I only go out for a short time because I am not suppose to be in the sun, whatsoever (I have medicine that won't allow me to be there)..

I've seen kids in the waterworks area simply sit their bag against the railing or to the side out of the walk way. I don't think anyone cares if there's bags lined up against the back of the stairs, either. I've seen tons of them there and assumed they were kids bags.

If they're not going to be using the chair, I wouldn't place their belongings in one. If they're going to use it, then grab a lounger.

Children ages 12 and 9 shouldn't be unsupervised, especially in/near the pool and waterworks area. Under the FAQ on Carnival's website it states "use of the pools by guests under 13 without adult supervision is prohibited"; and also states "guests under the age of 18 should be accompanied by an adult in all public areas of the ship."

Children ages 12 and 9 shouldn't be unsupervised, especially in/near the pool and waterworks area. Under the FAQ on Carnival's website it states "use of the pools by guests under 13 without adult supervision is prohibited"; and also states "guests under the age of 18 should be accompanied by an adult in all public areas of the ship."

That sounds like a way to protect them against liability, but it's certainly not enforced as a rule, considering kids nine and up can check themselves out of Camp Carnival if you permit it and twelve and up can whether you like it or not. And the pool areas are full of children under age 13 without adult supervision.

I allowed my older kids to start being on their own when they were 9 and 12. I liked to know where they were and would check in with them frequently. This included the pool as long as they used the buddy system -- also the 9-year-old was an excellent swimmer and diver. Now they are 10 and 13, I do not allow them to watch the 6-year-old yet in the pool but they can take her to mini-golf.

You have to make your own choices based on your parenting philosophies and your individual children's abilities and maturity level.

As for towels, mine take them from the room, knowing they would pay if they lost one. They tend to be at the less popular pool at less popular times, so they just set everything on one lounger. But if it is busier, they put everything in a dry spot near the loungers. I've always met up with them before they were ready to move to a different area or go back to the room.

To answer the other question.. about towels... They do not (and should not) bring towels from the room. They can go to the towel hut and check out a towel using their sign and sail card. They do not charge for it.

As for their stuff, they can fidn a place on deck (along the stairs or near the top of the slides) to place it out of the way. OR they can find some sun bathing family/ mom that is their with her children and ask if they can leave it by them so its not being "unattended". If you went up with them I am sure you could find another family that would be will to let you drop their stuff under their chairs.

...and the pool areas are full of children under age 13 without adult supervision.

Call me old fashioned, but I wouldn't let my kids play in the pool without adult supervision, even at 13 years of age. Pool drownings, while not frequent, do happen, even in shallow waters and involving older kids (the kid that died at Disney was a 13 year old swimming in 4ft of water unsupervised).

That other parents choose to be irresponsible doesn't make it acceptable for me to be irresponsible as well.

That sounds like a way to protect them against liability, but it's certainly not enforced as a rule, considering kids nine and up can check themselves out of Camp Carnival if you permit it and twelve and up can whether you like it or not. And the pool areas are full of children under age 13 without adult supervision.

I allowed my older kids to start being on their own when they were 9 and 12. I liked to know where they were and would check in with them frequently. This included the pool as long as they used the buddy system -- also the 9-year-old was an excellent swimmer and diver. Now they are 10 and 13, I do not allow them to watch the 6-year-old yet in the pool but they can take her to mini-golf.

You have to make your own choices based on your parenting philosophies and your individual children's abilities and maturity level.

As for towels, mine take them from the room, knowing they would pay if they lost one. They tend to be at the less popular pool at less popular times, so they just set everything on one lounger. But if it is busier, they put everything in a dry spot near the loungers. I've always met up with them before they were ready to move to a different area or go back to the room.

hooray for adult pools;)

I have family members who are in law enforcement and children's youth services, you'd likely be surprised by the monsters out there.:(

A predator who lives in our metro area had been caught on RCCL as to a hot tub incident with minor boys. Served his time, paroled and shortly thereafter arrested at local children's museum trying to repeatedly cozy up to kids. :eek:Majority of parents do the best they can with the information they have, everybody wants the best for their kids. Safety in numbers is always a good idea. It alarms me to see young kids on elevators by themselves in hotels or cruise ships.

RE OPs question as where should the gear go...have them bring an old school book bag and let them put their stuff in it & set on an empty lounger. Since you will be nearby (inside) you might be able to keep an eye on it. At the very least it will help the kids locate where they placed it once returning to the general area.. Would think the loungers could look the same to a kid.

Edited by keishashadow

Call me old fashioned, but I wouldn't let my kids play in the pool without adult supervision, even at 13 years of age. Pool drownings, while not frequent, do happen, even in shallow waters and involving older kids (the kid that died at Disney was a 13 year old swimming in 4ft of water unsupervised).

That other parents choose to be irresponsible doesn't make it acceptable for me to be irresponsible as well.

Like!!!

To answer the other question.. about towels... They do not (and should not) bring towels from the room. They can go to the towel hut and check out a towel using their sign and sail card. They do not charge for it.

Why not? That is what the blue beach towels are for, why shouldn't they bring them to the pool?

You are either old fashioned or incredibly judgmental. Good to know that as parents..we are judging each other.

I always have my kids get 1 chair and have them put all their stuff on that chair. Never had an issue doing this. As someone else said, there is a difference between hogging a chair and leave to go gamble, eat, and sit at a bar then for someone using the pool area.

As for, 12 and 9 year olds being left unattended, that is her decision as the parent and she didn't ask anyone their opinion of it!

hooray for adult pools;)

I have family members who are in law enforcement and children's youth services, you'd likely be surprised by the monsters out there.:(

A predator who lives in our metro area had been caught on RCCL as to a hot tub incident with minor boys. Served his time, paroled and shortly thereafter arrested at local children's museum trying to repeatedly cozy up to kids. :eek:Majority of parents do the best they can with the information they have, everybody wants the best for their kids. Safety in numbers is always a good idea. It alarms me to see young kids on elevators by themselves in hotels or cruise ships.

RE OPs question as where should the gear go...have them bring an old school book bag and let them put their stuff in it & set on an empty lounger. Since you will be nearby (inside) you might be able to keep an eye on it. At the very least it will help the kids locate where they placed it once returning to the general area.. Would think the loungers could look the same to a kid.

I get what you are saying...to a point. I am overprotective of my kids..but to a point.Has my child ridden in an elevator alone? Yes..will he(12)be alone sometimes on our cruise? Yes. We cannot be afraid 100% of the time.

There will be beach towels in your cabin. Take them with them and bring them back to cabin, if you do not return to cabin you will be charged.

On our last Carnival cruise, DD (16) went in pool and left the towel on the chair. I went somewhere else for awhile. But when I came back, pretty sure within 30 minutes, the towel was gone and the chair was taken by someone else.

I was just glad Carnival did not charge us after we explained that to them.