Crown Drydock - 2015

jimd909

What is the likelihood that the upgrades will include the Princess @ Sea messaging service? According to the Princess website yesterday, the Crown does not currently have this feature. My family will be on the Crown to Alaska next month and we are really hoping for a way to communicate amongst ourselves if we are off pursuing our individual interests.

This is absolutely not drydock-specific. At most, installing new wireless access points might be done during dry/wetdock to make it easier to open up the ceiling tiles from the mounting location back to the wiring closet, but that too could be done underway. The messaging service would be something they'd load on a server. They could do that while in port, and then enable it on the fly.

We were on the Sapphire when they upgrades the TV's and added new access points. We had to walk around boxes of TV's, under open ceilings and over cables on the floor but it didn't really impact our cruise. They don't need a drydock for that work.

A couple of years ago we were on the Sapphire when they added the Sports Court on the roof of Skywalker's during our one week cruise. On the next two cruises they converted the old Sports Court area to the new Sanctuary.

Once upon a time: This information might be what you were looking for. Crown is coming out of the dry dock between 11:30 and 12:30. Once all the life boats are lifted back aboard she will move to out to Royal Road Anchorage F ( about 1 mile outside the harbour ) where she will remain until the Lloyds of London surveyors have finished with her classification certificate inspection, expect to be about 18:00. She then will sail out into the Strait of Juan de Fuca for Princess's own trials. I believe she is picking up the Puget Sound Pilot at 23:59 for the voyage down into Seattle.

Once upon a time: This information might be what you were looking for. Crown is coming out of the dry dock between 11:30 and 12:30. Once all the life boats are lifted back aboard she will move to out to Royal Road Anchorage F ( about 1 mile outside the harbour ) where she will remain until the Lloyds of London surveyors have finished with her classification certificate inspection, expect to be about 18:00. She then will sail out into the Strait of Juan de Fuca for Princess's own trials. I believe she is picking up the Puget Sound Pilot at 23:59 for the voyage down into Seattle.

Thank you very much for the information..

This is absolutely not drydock-specific. At most, installing new wireless access points might be done during dry/wetdock to make it easier to open up the ceiling tiles from the mounting location back to the wiring closet, but that too could be done underway. The messaging service would be something they'd load on a server. They could do that while in port, and then enable it on the fly.

No, it would not have to be done in drydock but if it did require new wiring and/or new access points in order to make the software happy, I know from experience that it is easier and faster to do that kind of work without extra pedestrians and "supervisors". Good to know it is more a matter of updating the web page info to include the Crown as one of the ships with that feature.

Thanks to everyone who answered my question. This one, in particular, had been bugging me so I am happy to lay it to rest. :cool:

Now I can go research my other 99 questions. :D