Sail Away Gang - in living Colour - a photo review

1of4

The cruise director set up a swim where canal water was dumped into the aft pool and then ever body jumped in to swim the canal. Since the cruise director drank some of it before he dumped it in ds insisted the brown gunk must have been Coke. The certificates were delivered to the stateroom a few hours later

That is pretty neat. I would do it.

Thanks for the best wishes yesterday. I have Meniere's Disease and it flared yesterday. I am not 100% today, but much better.

So back to Costa Rica. We first drove to let 5 of our group off to travel on a series of 15 zip lines. My whole family was included. I didn't go because I was afraid that the motion would trip the Meniere's.

By family...have fun!

We carried on to see the butterflies. Little did we know if was butterflies, parrots, lizards, frogs and snakes! Lions, tigers and bears...Oh My!

As soon as we arrived they had a telescope set up as there was a lizard in a tree across the road:

ry%3D400

On our way we had stopped off for some local fruit and drinks by a river filled with cayman. No pictures of that but this butterfly was on the ground. Unfortunately that usually signified it is at the end of its life. One of our group did move it away from the foot traffic.

ry%3D400

Remember I came from snow so the tropical flowers really take my fancy:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

First we saw the frogs....

ry%3D400

Remember the brighter the colours the more poisonous so they don't care if they are seen. The others all are camouflaged.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Yes...we all thought he was a bit crazy to handle these frogs but he knew what he was doing....but he washed his hands after holding each one.

ry%3D400

This red one jumped on me...but landed on my pants so phew....

This is the iconic Costa Rican frog seen on most advertising. It is not poisonous:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

There were a few lizards but only this one was taken out for us to see:

ry%3D400

We were in a jungle with bamboo. I love the texture of the leaves

ry%3D400

This little one was not in the special enclosure:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I thought this was a stick bug but I think he said it was a cocoon:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

This blue one is very difficult to capture in the wild...but I tried:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Have I told you I HATE snakes...comes from when I was 5 and I encountered a rather large one that struck at me. Good job my reaction time was faster than the snakes. But here is a days old boa constrictor...

ry%3D400

One of our roll call members doesn't have the same fear....

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We then left to pick up our zip liners and eat lunch. After lunch there was a boat cruise for those that wanted to do it.

I was glad to see my 3 after their adventure. They loved it!! DS was just coming down when we pulled in. Great timing:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I abhor, detest, hate, loathe, despise, run-the-other-way-as-soon-as-I-see-'em snakes. You were much braver than I would have been. Oh, and if I were handed the lizard, I'm sure I'd have held it so tight it's teeny little eyes would have bugged out. Reptiles? Uh, no, not for me.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gail

Happy Mother's Day!

Lovely, fascinating photos. Much appreciated. You take care, eh!

Too funny...eh! LOL. Thanks very much and I return the sentiment. My 3 took great care of me today. I am blessed.

1of4 thank you so much :D (Sorry about the Menieres :( )

You are welcome. I am coming to terms with the blasted condition. Sad that gardening is out for me now. But I am resizing Nicaragua right now....

I abhor, detest, hate, loathe, despise, run-the-other-way-as-soon-as-I-see-'em snakes. You were much braver than I would have been. Oh, and if I were handed the lizard, I'm sure I'd have held it so tight it's teeny little eyes would have bugged out. Reptiles? Uh, no, not for me.

Smooth Sailing !

You and me both....I used the telephoto lens!!! :eek: :p :cool:

Edited by 1of4

If we thought Costa Rica was hot, Nicaragua was even hotter. We docked just before 9 in the morning and it was already hot and humid. The predicted high was 36 (97) but once on our tour to Leon it was much higher than that....it felt like it anyway as there was no breeze and no relief from the heat as nothing is air conditioned. We were on another tour organized by Kazu and it was amazing for the children to experience a real market and Sunday in another country.

Here are two panoramas of arriving to the port of Corinto:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

It was another beautiful sunrise:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The trusty tug was waiting for us, as in each and every port.

ry%3D400

There was a group of dancers on the dock as we gathered for our tour.

ry%3D400

We walked out of the port area to our waiting, nicely air conditioned, vans.

ry%3D400

Once we arrived in Leon we left the vans until our trip home. It was a bright, hot Sunday morning.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I am a quilter and I see quilt patterns everywhere, even in the sidewalk:

ry%3D400

Our first stop was a cathedral but since it was Sunday morning the service was going on. I only took one photo inside as the alter was so beautiful but I think I probably should have refrained.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Beautiful and so different from home:

ry%3D400

We were walking over to the local market and we passed a few fabric stores. Did I tell you I am a quilter?

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We entered the market and made our way down a narrow cheese isle. The smell was overwhelming so we didn't linger too long. I appreciated all the eyes watching out for DS and DD. We are used to being only us. By being in a group everyone had their eyes open for them to ensure they stayed with us at all times.

ry%3D400

There were all sorts of smells in the market and one was of cooking meat over wood. Some tour members took up the guides offer to try, DS was asking for his asthma inhaler because of the smoke from the fires. He was fine as soon as he had it and the tour continued.

ry%3D400

This market sold everything.

ry%3D400

Back inside the market we went:

ry%3D400

These poor lizards were on their way to someone's soup pot. The guide asked specifically if DD and DS would mind seeing this which was appreciated:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

thank you for sharing more great photos. I hope your Mother's Day was a joyous one for you!

Thank you, it was wonderful.

More great pictures :) thank you!

(and completely off-topic, my first husband was able to resume a completely normal life once his meds were sorted out..... but it took about 8 years to get the initial diagnosis :eek: )

Oh my! Yikes! After two very bad bouts in 5 days DH thinks I need to go to the only remaining medication left for me to take. I have hesitated up to now as once I start it I will not be able to stop and that bothers me. But what will be, will be. I am making a doctor's appointment today.

After weaving in and out of the market 3 times we wandered over to another cathedral. The services had finished so I was much more comfortable taking pictures.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I must admit that I was so hot by this point that I sat in the pews and my DH took the pictures. It was a humbling experience just sitting quietly and taking in the grandeur. Once everyone had gone up to the alter and seen everything they wanted to I rejoined the group.

As we departed a strange little group followed us to the handicraft market.

ry%3D400

Not sure what that was about.

ry%3D400

The market was a series of stalls in a public square. As we went from stall to stall the noon horn sounded. Did I mention it was hot?

Time for lunch which was recommended by our guide. Terns out it was recommended by every guide in Leon that day! It was a nice place but we were there for 2 hours. There were ceiling fans but the breeze from outside was blocked where I sat due to a flag across the window so I don't know if everyone was as hot as I was but I think it was a safe assumption.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400