Sail Away Gang - in living Colour - a photo review

1of4

Once we were out of the vans I just loved everything about the town. Warning...photo intensive review coming up!

ry%3D400

I loved the colours, the people, the architecture, the parks.....

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The streets were cobblestone but I had not seen them make this way before. A bit tough to walk on (sometimes you had to as the sidewalks are narrow) but they sure have lasted through the centuries:

ry%3D400

I can tell you that driving on them is an adventure too. We thought our dental fillings were going to come out! It was all good.

We quickly came across Parque Central (Central Park) in the center of town. It is a good city block in size with concentric circular walkways with a fountain in the center. The trees all have lights in them and there are benches throughout. It looked like a meeting place for locals. The city hall and police office, the Cathedral de Santiago and several banks line the four sides of the park.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

If I understood our guide correctly, The Cathedral de Santiago was the largest cathedral in Central America at one time, but now it is the smallest.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The cathedral is beautiful, both inside and out:

On the outside wall by the entrance:

ry%3D400

door handles

ry%3D400

chandelier just inside the entrance

ry%3D400

Tile floor

ry%3D400

The locals would not follow us inside. They had some beautiful items for sale too and DD wanted a bird made out of beads. I mistakenly told her we would buy it when we came out...but we left by the side entrance and we never saw them again. She found them in the shops back at the port but I must admit the once being offered outside the cathedral were nicer and probably less expensive.

ry%3D400

Back inside, they were undertaking a major cleaning after Holy Week

ry%3D400

Not once, this whole day, did I hear DS say he was bored. That is a huge testament to what he was seeing. Both DD and DS were fascinated and taking it all in.

Back inside the cathedral:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I found this just inside the side door where we exited the cathedral. It was about 4' up from the floor.

ry%3D400

Out the door we went and found ourselves in a tiled courtyard.

Someone was waiting for us with a drum made out of bamboo. DS took an instant liking to it and mean mummy said "no" as I was thinking of my fellow tour participants and their ears. For the record I broke down after lunch and he now has his drum so I am not so mean after all!

ry%3D400

This was on the exterior wall beside the side door:

ry%3D400

We began walking, not knowing the amazing site that was just ahead

ry%3D400

Inconceivable, but the cathedral we were just in is what is left standing of the original! The ruin is open for a small fee, paid for by our guide, to wander around and try to take in what it must have looked like before the earthquake of 1773.

ry%3D400

Excuse my boy's head...he was very interested!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

to be continued....

Sorry I missed this question yesterday. :o

The neck cooling scarves worked...to a point. It was so very hot that they really didn't have a chance and once they warmed up around your neck they were done as there was no way to cool them back down unless you put them in more cold water...but then the gel would soak up more moisture....

The better option, in my opinion anyway, are the cooling cloths that you can put around your neck, on your head, around your wrists....they look just like a spongy fabric that is long like a scarf but get it wet and snap it and it goes cold. When it isn't cold anymore a bit more water and a new snap and they are cold again.

next time this is what I will bring. The neck scarves with the gel inside would work better in our summers in the north woods. ;)

Thank you for the feed back. I'm not aware of the ones that "snap" so will have to look into that. The heat and humidity really knock me to my knees so am always looking for something to help.

Recent pics continue to be great. Am so enjoying hitchhiking on your great adventure.

LC

Thank you for the feed back. I'm not aware of the ones that "snap" so will have to look into that. The heat and humidity really knock me to my knees so am always looking for something to help.

Recent pics continue to be great. Am so enjoying hitchhiking on your great adventure.

LC

I just looked them up - they are called cooling towels.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbcnUiXCT95vJ7ohGZ1NN_uJNVnwB4UJqKZJr1Nv9efCCBO0HLeRwcHZ3p images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3sS6SHQQvfLpu0jXN7-t98zYsc-0kvhO6_KJCXIfhbjChdioe_gSG3Jc

There are many brands on the market and when I was dizzy last Saturday I kept using one for hours. Now I wasn't in high humidity, but they work.

They are hard like cardboard when dry but soft when wet.

I found this just inside the side door where we exited the cathedral. It was about 4' up from the floor.

ry%3D400

I believe it is a vessel to hold holy water into which one dips their fingers and makes the sign of the cross.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I believe it is a vessel to hold holy water into which one dips their fingers and makes the sign of the cross.

You believe correctly! Or, so I believe... :)

You believe correctly! Or, so I believe... :)

Thanks. That is what I thought. The fact that it was part of the wall caught my attention.

Yes, it's called a stoop.

Gail, loving your photos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having just gotten back from the Panama cruise on the Noordam I am trying to catch up on CC and saw your post. I have had such fun looking through your photos. They are spectacular!

I also am so impressed that you took your children on this cruise. We used to take our kids on every holiday we ever took starting when the youngest was 7 months old. It warms my heart to see other parents doing this-they do learn a lot from vacations and seeing other countries and meeting other people.

Will continue to look forward to your photos and comments.

I can confirm that. It reminds us of our Baptism!

Thank you everyone for the comments and conversations. It brings the thread to life for me and I know that people are looking at it. :)

But I have a question....am I putting in too many pictures?

Be honest please!

Edited by 1of4

Thank you everyone for the comments and conversations. It brings the thread to life for me and I know that people are looking at it. :)

But I have a question....am I putting too many pictures?

Be honest please!

not at all :) at least not as far as I am concerned.

Just a few more tonight...I have to be a mum and get off the computer.

Part of the cathedral has been put to use to store some of the ruins that fell during the earthquakes:

ry%3D400

Remarkably, some of the original paint can be seen:

ry%3D400

This paint is centuries old!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We all could have stayed for hours.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I can confirm that. It reminds us of our Baptism!

Thank you for the confirmation, Father. As a Catholic, I was pretty sure what it was, but not seeing it in context with anything else, I couldn't be certain.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)