Hi all, a question from a newbie please..

catzgirl

First trip on QV coming up shortly, but can I ask the ladies if the hairdryers supplied in cabins are okay? I have long thick hair, that seems to have a mind of its own, and guess I'm just used to my own hairdryer... Thank you

Bringing one's own dryer is permitted but they would prefer that you did not.

It may help to understand how ship electrical systems work. The standard working voltage on board is 220V. In order to provide North Americans with 110V a step-down transformer is installed and shared by 3-4 staterooms. This allows limited 110V service for items that run on 110V only. The greater the demand the hotter these transformers get.

Ship provided hair dryers tend to be underpowered so that multiple users on the same circuit don't overload the circuits. This can easily happen the hour before dinner on formal night if two or more women on the same circuit are running high wattage hair dryers at the same time. A single 1800 watt hair dryer, running on 110V, draws over 17 amps of current - an amount that would trip a breaker in many older homes in the US. Many hair dryers today are dual voltage but if there is a handy 110V outlet many will just plug into that and not bother with an adapter plug and switching over voltage.

Cruise lines know they would have an insurrection if personal hair dryers and curlers were banned. But this is why kettles, coffee makers, and high wattage items are frowned upon. It's not just the fire hazard but when one person overloads a circuit they darken the cabin of three neighbors as well as their own.

Edited by BlueRiband

Thank you for the replies....

I prefer to take my own but due to luggage restrictions this year I am planning on taking just my straighteners to try and make my hair half decent and just use their dryer to dry rather than style.

I prefer to take my own but due to luggage restrictions this year I am planning on taking just my straighteners to try and make my hair half decent and just use their dryer to dry rather than style.

Thank you Tangoqueen, what a great idea, hadn't thought of doing that!