Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sneekpeek

Just got off the Diamond!!

We just got home from Diamond 3/27 cruise. If you have any questions, please post them and I will try to answer them tomorrow after a good nights sleep. It was incredible, but we had lots of excitement. A flood on deck 7! A man had a heart attack and we had to go to Cabo first to drop him off. Had very bad fog and had to ring the horn every 2 minutes for over an hour! etc. etc. etc. to be continued!

Can't wait to hear the rest [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Did you by chance write down any of the speciality menus?

Sneekpeek - what a cruel tease!! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

Tracy

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;26;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
DIAMOND ALASKA

I have all of the Princess Patters for the week, copied the drink menus and have written down the pc dining room menus and lots more. If you haven't booked it yet - go book it. We already are planning Alaska on the Diamond and Pannama Canal on the Grand.

Oh my,sneekpeek... our 3/13 cruise on Princess was soooo tame compared to your's. Happy to hear you had a good time. Isn't the Diamond on beautiful ship! We're already book on the Diamond in Alaska for August... can't wait. What date are you considering?

Sandy

Can't wait to read your review. We are booked on the Sapphire this October but we were on the Mercury two weeks ago. As we were sailing into Mazatlan we passed the docked Diamond and you could hear the excitment and the ooooh's and aaah's from so many on board our ship. She is a beautiful ship. I waslucky enough tp get a few pictures of the Diamond over the next couple days as we leap frogged thru Mexico.

Star Princess 9/03 Alaska
Celebrity Mercury 3/04 Mexico
Next: Sapphire Princess 10/2/04
Mercury Cruise Pic's 3/13/04
[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/catmand100"]http://community.webshots.com/user/catmand100[/url]

Hey Sneek, Can't wait to hear more. We are less than a week away!

Disney - Magic 12/98
RCCL - Sovereign of the Seas 6/99
RCCL - Voyager of the Seas 12/00
RCI - Radiance of the Seas 3/02
Celebrity - Summit 3/02
Princess - Coral Princess 3/03
RCI - Radiance of the Seas 12/03
Princess - Diamond Princess 4/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;04;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Celebrity - Infinity 12/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;12;05;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Hi sneekpeek, welcome back. Glad to hear you say "had a flood on deck 7 - go book it!!" That tells me that in spite of it all, you were not turned off from the ship. That's good to know.

Thanks in advance here too, been looking for any and all Diamond info possible!

Happy Cruising

Chris

[url="http://www.LifeIsCruising.com"]www.LifeIsCruising.com[/url]

Next up:
Caribbean Princess 06/04
Star Princess 10/04
Carnival Spirit 12/04

I am also eagerly waiting for your review. You had a lot of excitement, it sounds like, with the flood, fog, and medical emergency. I would love to hear any comments you might have about the kids' programs/areas. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

You are planning on the Panama Canal on the Grand???

I don't think it fits through the Canal. Perhaps you meant the Coral?

Scott

Star Princess 11/28/04
Grand Princess 4/25/04
Island Princess
Galaxy
Jubilee
Sensation
Big Red Boat
Celebration
Starward
CostaMarina
Fantasy
Seaward
Independence
Daphne
Independence

Hey Sneakpeak...seems you have a lot of people's interest...including mine!(we go on the Diamond 5/29). Can't wait to hear your feelings on the ship, the flood, the PC dining, etc. One question from me..do you agree with past posters who say to make reservations the first day for the whole week? If so, do you just randomly make them (Steakhouse on Sunday, Southwest on Monday, etc.) or does it matter. Also, we like to go to the early shows (is that 8:30pm?) so would 7pm be about right? Thanks...and hope you post some pictures and the patters and the menus....! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm sorry, one more question...how was disembarkment? I have a 11:30 flight out of Seattle and we are doing transfers on our own (which should be faster)..any worries catching this flight out of Seattle?

Ahracer - the Grand has a couple of sailings which stops in Cristobal, Panama. The ship doesn't transit the canal but I am assuming you can do some of the excursions from there that allows you to see the canal. The sailing is considered a Panama Canal trip - it is RT from Galvaston.

I'd like to ask you about the entertainment. In the main theater, what show are on what night? What "big" shows did you like? Of the small scale entertainment, anything stood out as a must-do? Thanks, I can't wait to read your review!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;5;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Diamond Princess HERE WE COME! Alaska has never been so cool! 5/22/04
May 31, 2003 Carnival Triumph to Western Caribbean.

Thanks Coral, I didn't even think about that.

Scott

Star Princess 11/28/04
Grand Princess 4/25/04
Island Princess
Galaxy
Jubilee
Sensation
Big Red Boat
Celebration
Starward
CostaMarina
Fantasy
Seaward
Independence
Daphne
Independence

Please let us know where you post your review. So far I haven't been able to find any other than on these boards.
I sail the Diamond 8-14 to Alaska, and can't wait to hear all about it!!

Coral - I posted the PC restaurant menus this morning under "Diamond PC menus"

Sandy - We are looking at Alaska 6/2005. We have been to Alaska before, but not on a cruise. It's too cold in May, it starts to get warmer at the end of June through July. My former boss lived there and he said it rains alot in August but you never know what the weather is going to be like. We couldn't go in June this year because it's too soon after Mexican Riviera. The ship was incredible! But the staff was outstanding. We stayed in our cabin for two days and decided we didn't like it and they moved us to a new cabin! We tried to pack ourselves and they insisted on packing for us. We never expected such wonderful treatment and it didn't matter how much you paid for your cabin, EVERYONE was treated like royalty.

Ahracer - Make your reservations early, as soon as you get on the ship. We saw many people turned away at the early times like 5:30 and 6:00 so the later times must have been worse. We made a reservation for all seven nights within an hour after we got on the ship. You can always cancel if you change your mind! I would love to just scan and post the patters, but I am terrible with computers. My grandson might come over today and we can try. I'll go on the board soon and post everything I can from the patters. If you guys are really interested in seeing them I would be happy to mail them to someone who is a computer wiz so they can post them.

Disembarking is tricky. They do let you get off early if you have a flight so bring your tickets to the passenger service desk. The elete passengers get off early and then it goes by airline flight times and then by decks. We were on the Emerald Deck and we were going to be last 10:30. We had a 7 hour drive ahead of us and I told our cabin steward and he got me new tags that let us off at 8:00 a.m which is the first time you can get off. I am going to try to post a very long review of everything sometime today. I need to tell everyone about getting on and off the ship.

CORAL CORAL CORAL - You just saved my life!! We were going to book the December cruise to the Panama Canal on the Grand! We didn't know that it didn't go through the canal. My husband has wanted to go through the canal on a cruise for many years - this was going to be his dream cruise. If you hadn't told me that the Grand doesn't go through the canal we would have made a huge mistake. That's why I am going to try to post every single thing I can on these boards. I got so many great ideas on this board before we left - I felt obligated to bring back everything I could.

Joli- I'll get out my Patters soon and write down everything about the shows. It was super - they even had an American Idol contest!! And Bingo - what can I say - loved it - cute Neil called the numbers - looked like Matt Lauer!!

Sneekpeek!!! Now you really have my attention. Flood on deck 7!! Cabin you didn't like!! Hope you post your review soon, I'm dying of curiousity! Pocka

Hi SneakPeek - We disembarked yesterday as well and had similar experiences to yours! But we agree that it is a beautiful ship with an extremely nice and accomodating crew (especially in light of the weird "glitches" with electrical problems, flooding, a heart attack, and the like)! We wouldn't hesitate to sail the Diamond again.

I will only reiterate what others have said regarding the "Anytime"/Personal Choice dining - be sure to make reservations for each night you would like to eat in one of the dining rooms as soon as you board - otherwise, you may risk being disappointed when they cannot accomodate your request. There were a few passengers who were dressed up with nowhere to go (except for the Horizon Court buffet)!

According to an employee, they know passeners are not terribly happy with this situation and they are trying to resolve it to make it operate more efficiently. They say the most popular dining time is 6:00PM. So, if you prefer, or must, dine early, be sure to reserve as quickly as possible. All the dining rooms are lovely though, so try them all.

And, if dining in the Santa Fe room, you MUST try the Kahlua Rice Pudding for dessert - SCRUMPTIOUS!! Enjoy! I wish I was still aboard!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;12;5;21;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Sneekpeek, How do you make the dinner reservations when you first board the ship? By phone or is there a place to go and sign up?
Also, I did the Island Princess Panama Canal cruise in January. The Coral Princess is sister to Island. Beautiful!!! We transited one set of locks to Gatun Lake, then turned around and went back through. Great experience and a good way to see Panama Canal. Also, you can take a shore excursion trip riding a tender all the way through the canal, then rejoin the big ship (ocean to ocean tour). See the RED BOW group in the roll call section for more details .

Prarie Cruiser

Thanks for the info on the Panama Canal. I need to start doing my research soon. My husband loved the idea of riding a tender through. Are you on these boards often? I would love to ask you more about it when we finally book it. As far as the PC dining, there should be a button on your phone that says "concierge" just press that and make all of your reservations, you can always cancel them. We made a couple at Sterlings because my husband is a meat guy. All of the restaurants are very elegant. If you don't have a label on your phone (we didn't), just look up the number in the black binder that is in your room.