Just got off the Diamond!!

sneekpeek

Sneekpeek,

Where did you post the Diamond PC Menus? I couldn't find them on this board, but of course the seach isn't working so that makes it harder.

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean
1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti
09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska
05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska
11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Hi, Prairie Cruiser,
I hear that these reservations for PC dining go very quickly for the popular times. When I finished lunch on Sat., I noticed (about 1:00 p.m.) that quite a line was forming. I would not wait to even go to my cabin. I would go directly to deck 7 (I think that is where you will embark, Promenade deck). It is right across from the Explorer's Lounge - do you see it on the deck plan? There were 2 tables set up there with 2 Restaurant personnel (Concierges) explaining the different options. Pax seemed to have a lot of questions.
I would just pick 2 nights in each at the specific time you wish (well, 1 night in one of them). That way, if you decide to do something else, like the Horizon Buffet, you can always cancel. Or, play it safe, one of you go to your room and call the res number and the other get in the line (the phone thing just did not work for me on the Star - I had better luck going right to the restaurant). If there is no line, stay together. I like to eat early to make it to the early shows, but my Ozzie friends like late traditional, so on the Sapphire, 7 March 05, Sydney to Bangkok, I will acquiesce and eat with them. Guess I'll take a nap before dinner.
The food was wonderful. We had: Appetizers: Shrimp with melon balls in champagne with a nice white sauce, Ravoli stuffed with cheese and spinach and a white sauce. Entrees: Salmon and Chateaubriand. Dessert: Petit Fours and chocolate souffle.
Don't forget to order a side order of the Conda-Lisa Rice (the waiters are great jokesters).

A Smile is just a little curve that sets a lot of things Straight.
Fair Winds and Following Seas!

[This message was edited by Princess Di on 04-04-04 at 07:48 PM.]

SneekPeek,
None of the Grand Class ships will fit through the Panama Canal. They are too wide. The Coral and Island were purpose-built to fit through the Canal. Also, all of the Sun Class ships can go through as well as the Regal and Royal.

A Smile is just a little curve that sets a lot of things Straight.
Fair Winds and Following Seas!

[B]Sneekpeek:[/B]

Thanks for your advice about the Diamond. Really appreciate it. We are sailing in two weeks on 4-17! Getting real excited.

[B]Question:[/B]

You mentioned the 8:30 main show. Do they repeat the show later in the evening for late dining people. We like to eat a little later, between 7:30 to 8:00 and would hope that they have a show at 10:00. I read that one of the shows is titled "The Piano Man".

Thanks again for your help and advice!

Hobie

Hey Sneakpeak - we were with you on the Diamond. In addition to the flood, the fog and the heart attack, you forgot (or maybe you didn't know) the reason we left Cabo 2 hours late. The "late tour group" was really a fishing boat that lost its engine 60 miles out. We sat by one of the men at breakfast. He said there were HUGE swells, the engine room was flooded with deisel fuel and the Mexicans were drinking along with shooting off flares, they all got 3rd degree sunburns and had to dive onto the rescue boat in pounding surf. He was sure he was going to die. And all Princess will give them so far is a refund on the tour and a bottle of tequila!

Anyway, despite all the excitement, we too had a WONDERFUL cruise. For the person who asked about the kids' program - it was great. Our 3 year old daughter loved it. She begged to go all day long. They really did a great job making it fun. (She was in the 3-5 year old group, but the other groups seemed to be having fun too.) Let me know if you have any specific questions. I would recommend that you feed your kids at the buffet at 6:00 and try to have dinner at 7:00 when the kids' program opens up again. (The hours are 9-12, 2-5 and 7-10.) Or you could see a show during that time.

We made dinner reservations at 5:50 every night, exept when we went to Sabatini's at 7:00 without our daughter. You can call the concierge from your room, you don't need to stand in line. For some reason, when I called, he told me that reservations were only taken for before 6:00 or after 8:00, if you wanted between 6 and 8 you had to walk in. Was that everyone else's experience? Sabatini's is well worth the cover charge - great food and a lot of fun. Make your spa reservations upon boarding as well.

OK, I'm getting tired but I'll check back and try to answer any more specific questions.

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Great to hear you had such a great time - we will be travelling in late November with a (will be by then) 4 & 7 year old - any tips, hints, info regarding the kids club would be appreciated (the girls would love to hear about it also!) could you tell what nights the children had dinner together? Any 'special' activities the children did - did you take her on any tours? if so what would you recommend? so little time so many questions : )

Thanks a lot

Jane

hi everyone:

we also just got off the diamond 3/27 sailing and had a wonderful time. we also had a 10 hour drive and was not too happy with disembarkation. we docked at 6:00 in los angeles and we were supposed to disembark at 9:50 and didn't get off until 10:30. didn't realize we could get different tags to get off earlier from our cabin steward who was wonderful. also nobody has mentioned the 390 children aboard. guess i'll pay more attention to the spring break discussions lol. we had early traditional dining which is perfect for us. plenty of kids in there ALL well behaved. but forget trying to get some quiet time by a pool and forget trying to get in the hot tubs, all were overrun with kids all day. oh well, the cruise was fabulous and we even got copies of all of the menus in the dining room. the food was fabulous, have been on 5 cruises and have NEVER had a bad meal on a cruise. we did breakfast and lunch in horizon court and at peak times there was no organization in there, everybody going every which way, bumping into you with their plates, etc. everything else was fabulous, wish i was still there [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

dave and gerry

Hi Jane, your kids are going to love it. They will be split up, though, they divide the groups into 3-5, 6-9, 10-13 and teens. The 3-5 room, where my daughter was, has a ball pit (her favorite), lots of games, playstations, a movie "theater", playhouse, legos, cars, and other toys. They sing songs, play games (duck, duck, goose, simon says, etc.), do lots of art projects, stories, movies in the afternoons, ice cream . . . I'm not sure what the older group does, but they looked like they were having a blast too. They took the kids to dinner on Wednesday, our Mazatlan night. They will tell you what night this is on the first day.

We took our daughter with us in every port (although you can arrange to leave them at the kids' club.) We took the "tropical jungle paradise" tour in Puerta Vallarta which included a bus trip and a short hike, she did fine. We also went to the Krystal Vallarta hotel and used their facilities (OK for Princess guests) - that was great, there is a huge pool including a kids' pool. And it's right on the beach. At Mazatlan we just walked around and went to the beach. Cabo we went snorkling, (took turns with our daughter on the boat) but that wasn't very fun for her.

Have a great trip!

Michelle

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cydspal:
Hey Sneakpeak...seems you have a lot of people's interest...including mine!(we go on the Diamond 5/29). Can't wait to hear your feelings on the ship, the flood, the PC dining, etc. One question from me..do you agree with past posters who say to make reservations the first day for the whole week? If so, do you just randomly make them (Steakhouse on Sunday, Southwest on Monday, etc.) or does it matter. Also, we like to go to the early shows (is that 8:30pm?) so would 7pm be about right? Thanks...and hope you post some pictures and the patters and the menus....! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We were on the first cruise and were not advised to do reservations for anytime....big mistake....on the dawn princess no problem...Traditional dinng is not big enough for this class ship....if the ship is fairly full, you will probably not get early dining or 830pm.....Princess has no answer to the problem.. To be sure your cruise is a success, reserve a dining room each night as soon as you board. And yes, use all 4... We felt this class ship's dining is to small and they expect many to go upstairs to 14th fl buffet....bp

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cydspal:
I'm sorry, one more question...how was disembarkment? I have a 11:30 flight out of Seattle and we are doing transfers on our own (which should be faster)..any worries catching this flight out of Seattle?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thought I would post the links to Sneekpeeks great posts for Diamond Entertianment http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=887097554&m=426101511&r=844105611#844105611

and Diamond PC Menus http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=887097554&m=501103801

so people reading this post can easily find them.

1972 - Song of Norway, Caribbean

1980 - Hawaii American Curise line, Tahiti

09/01/2002 - Veendam, Alaska

05/29/2003 - Pacific Princess, Alaska

11/26/2003 - Star Princess, Australia/New Zealand

5/28/2004 - Star Princess, Venice to Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;05;28;21;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

11/06/2004 - Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bandg:

also nobody has mentioned the 390 children aboard. guess i'll pay more attention to the spring break discussions lol. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For comparison's purpose, we were on the Pride sailing 3/28 and were told there were over 600 children aboard. Although we didn't see much problems other than what you mentioned - the pools that allowed children were full of children.

---

Jeremy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;28;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800   until Pride 3/28/04

Archived