New to Princess

SDcruiser66

We are taking our 1st Princess cruise in September. It is a 3 night from Vancouver to Los Angeles aboard the Ruby Princess. We have only ever been on Carnival ships. What are some differences that we might expect? We are looking forward to trying something new!! Still under the CCL umbrella, can't go to far out of our comfort zone. lol

Welcome to Princess! :)

Ruby is a great ship! We were on her for two weeks in January and had a wonderful time.

You'll like being able to go directly to your cabin as soon as you board the ship! :)

LuLu

We are taking our 1st Princess cruise in September. It is a 3 night from Vancouver to Los Angeles aboard the Ruby Princess. We have only ever been on Carnival ships. What are some differences that we might expect? We are looking forward to trying something new!! Still under the CCL umbrella, can't go to far out of our comfort zone. lol

You should probably expect to find an older demographic than on Carnival ships. Fewer young people and less of a party atmosphere. A more "refined" decor. Welcome to Princess and I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

One plus on Princess is that your cabin is generally ready when you board. No stumbling around with your carry on while you have lunch or explore the ship.

Also, if you can board by 1 or so, you can have lunch in one of the dining rooms rather than playing elbow tag with 3,000 people at the buffet. This is a relaxing way to begin your cruise, but the dining room is only open until 1:30.

More food stuff: You will probably like the International Café, a place where you can grab a quick bite (sandwiches, salads and such) in the Piazza, but you may well miss some Carnival food options like the Mongolian Wok and Sandwich Deli and Burrito Bar.

Some people will say you'll experience a step up in service or MDR food. Not me. I actually think Carnival is a pretty good product. No one has forced us yet to attend a hairy chest contest. We think the food and service are good.

In terms of ambience, I think you will find Princess more subdued in its color schemes and clientele.

Jim

The Ruby is an excellent choice. ;)

If you are a Carnival Corp shareholder, you will also be eligible for the shareholder OBC on Princess.

We are CCL shareholders. I submitted our paperwork to the travel agency that booked us. The agent I spoke with didn't think that the shareholder OBC was good on this type of cruise so I also sent the latest shareholder benefit page stating that cruises less than 6 days are eligible for $50 OBC. I should hear back early this coming week.

Thank you all for a great welcome attitude and ship tips!!

Our January 2016 sailing on Carnival puts us into the Platinum category. I guess we will now start earning on another line. I haven't looked up the Princess loyalty levels yet. Lots more cruising to do!!

We are CCL shareholders. I submitted our paperwork to the travel agency that booked us. The agent I spoke with didn't think that the shareholder OBC was good on this type of cruise so I also sent the latest shareholder benefit page stating that cruises less than 6 days are eligible for $50 OBC. I should hear back early this coming week.

I would submit it yourself. All you need to do is fax it. ;)

Because the cruise is in Sept its a little early (30 days).

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Just returned from our first Princess cruise after several Carnival trips and we were quite pleased. However, we did not find a huge difference in the two lines.

Princess pluses were the size of the mini suite, the demographics, a little more laid back, International Cafe, Shows and rooms being ready(without buying faster to the fun).

We did not find the service better, in fact we found Carnival better in some areas. The food in the MDR was good but rather blah. The specialty restaurants are good in both.

Overall, I believe you will enjoy your Princess cruise and in the end you will find a lot more similarities than differences.

Requests for stockholder OBC are only accepted with proof dated no earlier than 90 days before embarkation, so you (or your TA) will need to resubmit with then current information within that time period.

A three day cruise will not be the same onboard experience as a seven day cruise would be.

So although you will get the flavor of Princess, the experience will need to be compared to any short cruises you have taken on Carnival.

Thank you all for a great welcome attitude and ship tips!!

Our January 2016 sailing on Carnival puts us into the Platinum category. I guess we will now start earning on another line. I haven't looked up the Princess loyalty levels yet. Lots more cruising to do!!

IMO Princess loyalty rewards are the best. However... Princess cabins are generally smaller than those on Carnival

IMO Princess loyalty rewards are the best. However... Princess cabins are generally smaller than those on Carnival

I had to LOL. All I can think of is the shower.;);)

SDCruiser. The Ruby is my favorite ship. We have sailed on her 3 times.

Try out the Crown Grill, it is very good. Book another Princess cruise while aboard. Get some Future Cruise Credits.:):)

The 3 day cruise is a good way to sample a suite - often prices are good and you get two cruise credits instead of one. Explore the ship - you won't see it all in three days. Definitely sample the snacks at the International Café. Also should have milk and cookies available around 4 PM on pool deck. Best fries and burgers at sea at the grill.

A three day cruise will not be the same onboard experience as a seven day cruise would be.

So although you will get the flavor of Princess, the experience will need to be compared to any short cruises you have taken on Carnival.

Yes..

A 3 day cruise is a completely different cruise experience, and NOT a good example of a normal 7 day or longer Princess cruise or another cruise line cruise for that matter

YMMV

Srpilo

Yes..

A 3 day cruise is a completely different cruise experience, and NOT a good example of a normal 7 day or longer Princess cruise or another cruise line cruise for that matter

YMMV

Srpilo

That's true. But I also think a 3-day midweek cruise from Vancouver to L.A. attracts a whole different crowd than a 3-day weekender to Baja, no matter what cruise line you're on.

Jim

The Ruby is my favorite Princess ship of the four we have been on (and that includes the newer Royal Princess). A 3-day cruise is too short to appreciate the differences between Princess and Carnival.

My last Carnival cruise was in 2010 on the Magic in the Western Mediterranean. That was a while ago. My favorite part of the ship was the Red Frog Pub, which was new to Carnival at the time and a nice change. My main differences relate to the ships themselves, which are less gaudy and more elegant. The pools and pool areas are much nicer, and the cruise directors are not in your face all of the time. The atmosphere is more relaxed and more like a resort as opposed to the more rowdy party atmosphere on Carnival. In three days, I think you will notice the difference in the ships themselves, but maybe not much more. You'll get a taste of Princess.

DH and I are always comparing Princess and X. While he leans toward X, I find Princess my favourite. We have status on both and the extra perks on Princess cannot be beat. Getting 500 minutes of free internet each allows us to keep in touch with family. The choices at the International Café are somewhat better than Café al Bacio. I always buy the coffee card and make good use of it. I do wish that Princess would implement the Classic Drink Package that X has. Service is great on both but the staff seems a tad friendlier on Princess. we also found the medical staff on the Ruby so incredible on our last Med cruise.