A Complete Overhaul Of the VIFP Loyalty Program - A Huge Idea

It has been my experience that whenever loyalty programs change, it is almost always in favor of the Corporation, not the Consumer. So please, just leave it the way it is. Don't give them anymore hair brained ideas on how to screw us over.

Exactly.

Pre 2004, I used to argue the point that Carnival, without a loyalty program, still offered more at a value price vs the lines that had a loyalty program, with fares so much higher.

So when Carnival announced its loyalty program, I went "oh oh". Until I saw what they were offering. It's was pretty much nothing, except VIP boarding and debarking.

But then I kept hearing about this marvelous rollout of a new program, which took about three years to actually launch. I remember reading all the idiotic excuses as to all the problems they were encountering to launch such a BRILLIANT new program. I was expecting a Mars landing.

Carnival should have left well enough alone, but they have bungled this thing so bad, pissing off their largest bulk of clientele, all while dr flying the product.

Any change at this point will further alienate the balance of the remaining customers. They obviously never had a long range plan. The funniest is watching the smallest amount of people, the diamonds, all scrambling to thinking they need a new level, all thinking they should actually be steering the ship.

What Rapi is referring to is that on RCCL, all members of family (if sailing together) follow the lead. So, if I was Diamond plus on Royal (Something that will not happen, but for argument sake), and my wife had 2 cruises and my 12 yo son was on his first, they all have the same benefits of the status.

I can safely say, that will not occur on Carnival.

Pre 2004, I used to argue the point that Carnival, without a loyalty program, still offered more at a value price vs the lines that had a loyalty program, with fares so much higher.

So when Carnival announced its loyalty program, I went "oh oh". Until I saw what they were offering. It's was pretty much nothing, except VIP boarding and debarking.

That is simply not true.

Getting "extras" for money spent is unacceptable to me. Just stick with days sailed. I am only able to afford one cruise a year - and what I spend is neither here nor there. The almighty dollar does not dictate what kind of person or customer I am. No one should be treated special because of the size of their bank account.

What Rapi is referring to...

I can safely say, that will not occur on Carnival.

Rapi? I feel insulted! [emoji6]

Bimbo5544: I do feel that on Carnival, the biggest perk is always price. Don't take that away. The other perks, while nice, are not really a huge incentive to select Carnival. On other cruise lines where past guest perks are juicier, then I think that extending perks to other family members is more important.

Either way, I agree that this will not occur on Carnival, although I think that it would be nice if they at least made the past guest invitation "+1 guest" for those like me who would otherwise be attending solo.

Edited by Tapi

Rapi? I feel insulted! [emoji6]

Bimbo5544: I do feel that on Carnival, the biggest perk is always price. Don't take that away. The other perks, while nice, are not really a huge incentive to select Carnival. On other cruise lines where past guest perks are juicier, then I think that extending perks to other family members is more important.

Either way, I agree that this will not occur on Carnival, although I think that it would be nice if they at least made the past guest invitation "+1 guest" for those like me who would otherwise be attending solo.

Touche';)

My guess is, that at the end of the day, that is exactly how it will be (+1guest)

So what would be the point then in banning Gold Members because there were too many people and letting Platinum/Diamonds bring a guest in? I went alone when I was Gold and I didn't die, nor did my mom who was Red.

I think it should be only the people who rightfully earned the spot to be there. If you don't feel like going by yourself, then don't go. It's not like you're spending the whole day by yourself. It's an hour max.

So what would be the point then in banning Gold Members because there were too many people and letting Platinum/Diamonds bring a guest in? I went alone when I was Gold and I didn't die, nor did my mom who was Red.

I certainly won't die if I go alone, but most likely I will either not enjoy it as much or I will just skip it altogether. It will become a somewhat useless "perk"for me.

The point is that, right now, the party is a free for all. Not only are there too many Golds, but there are a lot of people in attendance sneaking in that shouldn't be there to start with. I can assure you that when the party is for Platinums and above only, even if it's +1 guest, there will be considerably less guests in attendance, but only if the staff truly enforces the rule.

As mentioned above, Royal extends same past guest status to other family members in the same household. Yet somehow their past guest parties are hardly the packed frenzy that Carnival past guest parties are.

Edited by Tapi

I certainly won't die if I go alone, but most likely I will either not enjoy it as much or I will just skip it altogether. It will become a somewhat useless "perk"for me.

The point is that, right now, the party is a free for all. Not only are there too many Golds, but there are a lot of people in attendance sneaking in that shouldn't be there to start with. I can assure you that when the party is for Platinums and above only, even if it's +1 guest, there will be considerably less guests in attendance, but only if the staff truly enforces the rule.

As mentioned above, Royal extends same past guest status to other family members in the same household. Yet somehow their past guest parties are hardly the packed frenzy that Carnival past guest parties are.

I agree that there are a lot of Golds, however, if they stuck with checking invitations at the door, then I don't think they would have had to go to this measure. The amount of Platinums will soon be overwhelming as well. Just wait until they introduce a "Platinum Plus" tier for those that have 75 days sailed. Platinum will become the current Gold Status.

I still say no +1. It's not comparable to an office party, wedding, etc where a companion is almost necessary. While it might not be as fun (for some people), it is a party to celebrate a status that has been earned, not to entertain guests of the guests.

And I say this as a lowly, red headed step child, I mean, Gold Member (not the Austin Powers movie BTW) :D

I agree that there are a lot of Golds, however, if they stuck with checking invitations at the door, then I don't think they would have had to go to this measure. The amount of Platinums will soon be overwhelming as well. Just wait until they introduce a "Platinum Plus" tier for those that have 75 days sailed. Platinum will become the current Gold Status.

I still say no +1. It's not comparable to an office party, wedding, etc where a companion is almost necessary. While it might not be as fun (for some people), it is a party to celebrate a status that has been earned, not to entertain guests of the guests.

And I say this as a lowly, red headed step child, I mean, Gold Member (not the Austin Powers movie BTW) :D

Totally agree

I believe that this decision as well as Carnival's response to the backlash from past cruisers is a marketing failure on their part. It is not the first time they have done so and probably won't be the last.

They should look at the "no more taking food back to the room" that another cruise line just went through and realize the mistake for what it is.

And the Platinum free Laundry. Of course any program is going to have to be revenue neutral so fares would have to,increase or a cut mad somewhere.

And cabin ready on Embarkation for diamond/platinum

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

A lot of the platinum perks are only relatable to longer cruises. I'm platinum but do short cruises. Where are my strawberries and parties. Perks should be applicable to all lengths of cruises

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk