Horseshoe Bay shuttle?

LadyBerard

The shuttle info web site says shuttles to the beach 8:30 am to 3:00 pm. Last shuttle from the beach 6:00 PM. Ticket office open 8:00 to 2:00.

I believe from reports back that they wait until the seats are filled or somewhat filled before they actually depart.

I will also be in Bermuda again in two weeks!

Link to shuttle info web site below:

http://www.thewestend.bm/horseshoe-bay-beach-shuttle/

Thank you for the info! Are you going on the Breakaway? The Summit will also be in port the same days.

DH and I are on the Breakaway. Getting super excited now that we are so close to sail date.

I kind off guessed that. I have been on Breakaway but not to Bermuda. You get a thrill that we won't have, sailing out of Manhattan. I love sailing by the Manhattan skyline, past the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Sailing out of Bayonne just isn't the same!

I was really hoping the shuttle would be cheaper for students as is the ferry/bus transportation! Has anyone used the shuttle with their children?

The shuttles are a recent development, late last year, and this years season is early yet too, so that feedback from users with children may not be available yet. Don't forget the shuttles are a private operation. The buses and ferries are public transportation by the Bermuda government. It would be nice if the shuttles offered children a discount but as a private operation the fares have to pay for trips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

I kind off guessed that. I have been on Breakaway but not to Bermuda. You get a thrill that we won't have, sailing out of Manhattan. I love sailing by the Manhattan skyline, past the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Sailing out of Bayonne just isn't the same!

Out first cruise to Bermuda was on RC and we sailed out of Bayonne. It was a wonderful cruise, but definitely not enough time on the island (only 1 1/2 days). Looking forward to having a little more time to see the beach and other sites.

Enjoy your cruise!

Out first cruise to Bermuda was on RC and we sailed out of Bayonne. It was a wonderful cruise, but definitely not enough time on the island (only 1 1/2 days). Looking forward to having a little more time to see the beach and other sites.

Enjoy your cruise!

Yes, I took one of those five day Royal Caribbean Bermuda cruises too. Not enough time. The old days the ships called at St. George and Hamilton and we had 3 1/2 days. Longer than the Breakaway or Summit schedule. I have tried everything to Bermuda except flying there. I keep intending to do that. Have a good time!

Edited by Charles4515

We just returned today and somehow I "think" we might have ended up on this shuttle. Long story...(guy that was putting people on the buses was a total jerk) and we ended up on one that said (geesh wish I could remember the exact wording but maybe my memory will come back after my ship/jet lag is over with) something like special or something...it wouldn't take us past Horseshoe (even though I told them we were going to Warwick) and the jerk told us that the #7 bus we tried to get on wouldn't stop there :rolleyes:

Anyhow, we had to pay the same price as riding a regular bus to get there.

I would save you $$ and not buy the round trip pass.

Another person on (here?? I forget which thread, so would have to go back and read which one it's on) mentioned they were able to catch a private taxi right there at the bottom of the hill at Horseshoe back for $7pp...YEP...YOU SURE CAN!! We caught the taxi back for $7 pp and $1 for each kid (with the oldest kid being 12). ;)

Our family will be on the Breakaway this Sunday. Just wondering based on your opinion which town should I spend more time at? George or Hamilton? Also how was Tobacco Bay and Horseshoe Bay? Was it really crowded? Overall any recommendation what to do and which thing to avoid? Thanks.

We just returned today and somehow I "think" we might have ended up on this shuttle. Long story...(guy that was putting people on the buses was a total jerk) and we ended up on one that said (geesh wish I could remember the exact wording but maybe my memory will come back after my ship/jet lag is over with) something like special or something...it wouldn't take us past Horseshoe (even though I told them we were going to Warwick) and the jerk told us that the #7 bus we tried to get on wouldn't stop there :rolleyes:

Another person on (here?? I forget which thread, so would have to go back and read which one it's on) mentioned they were able to catch a private taxi right there at the bottom of the hill at Horseshoe back for $7pp...YEP...YOU SURE CAN!! We caught the taxi back for $7 pp and $1 for each kid (with the oldest kid being 12). ;)

That wasn't the shuttle. The vehicle marked "Special" is the express bus that goes to Horseshoe Bay. The reason you paid the same price as the regular bus is because it is a bus...it just doesn't make intermediate stops, and it only goes as far as Horseshoe Bay.

The buses are blue and pink...easy to distinguish them from shuttles which are privately owned smaller vans of various sizes and colors.

Edited by njhorseman

That wasn't the shuttle. The vehicle marked "Special" is the express bus that goes to Horseshoe Bay. The reason you paid the same price as the regular bus is because it is a bus...it just doesn't make intermediate stops, and it only goes as far as Horseshoe Bay.

The buses are blue and pink...easy to distinguish them from shuttles which are privately owned smaller vans of various sizes and colors.

Gotcha. I figured it was something like that.

As njhorseman explained you were not on a shuttle. You got on one of the express buses to Horseshoe run by the public bus system. They don't make local stops. Warwick is a local stop past Horseshoe. You needed to get on the regular bus that makes local stops and goes to Hamilton. They make a lot of local stops. It would have said Hamilton, not Special. The information about the Special express buses has been posted many, many times on this forum every year over and over. You asked a lot of questions which is fine but a lot of answers can be found by reading answers posted to other peoples questions.

The same about the taxis being available at the bottom of the beach. It is not just what another person posted. That has been posted over and over.

As njhorseman explained you were not on a shuttle. You got on one of the express buses to Horseshoe run by the public bus system. They don't make local stops. Warwick is a local stop past Horseshoe. You needed to get on the regular bus that makes local stops and goes to Hamilton. They make a lot of local stops. It would have said Hamilton, not Special. The information about the Special express buses has been posted many, many times on this forum every year over and over. You asked a lot of questions which is fine but a lot of answers can be found by reading answers posted to other peoples questions.

The same about the taxis being available at the bottom of the beach. It is not just what another person posted. That has been posted over and over.

My problem was the bus we tried to get on that SAID #7 to Hamilton, the guy that was directing the people on which bus to get on told me that it was NOT the bus that I wanted. I told him we were going to Warwick and he argued with me "no, this bus is going to Hamilton, it won't be going to Warwick stop, you need the next bus". I knew after all the research that I did prior to going that that was the bus I needed to catch.

Then when this "special" bus came after the #7 bus, I specifically told him again we were going to Warwick and he put us on that bus. He was a jerk and rude...along with the bus driver as well who completely coped an attitude when we inquired about getting to Warwick when we had to get off the bus at Horseshoe.

Another thing that I have NEVER read on these boards with all my research (and if I did I obviously did not fully understand it) was when everyone on here said "you need the correct" money/change to get on the bus if you didn't have a ticket or token was... you need the correct CHANGE...as in coins...not dollars. To me correct change means...if you need $5.00 to get on the bus, here's either a $5 bill, or 5 ones or whatever. For kids $2.75 is 2 dollar bills and 3 quarters. Nope...they will ONLY take change. I did not know this. The guy at the bus stop first told us NO cash saying "You must have a bus pass or a token. Then after the next bus came he then said yes on cash as long as it was the right amount. Then once we tried to get on, he then informed us it was coins ONLY. It was such a cluster f*ck day of confusion and he was not helpful AT ALL. I have always read that the people in Bermuda were so friendly and helpful and we found the entire bus system to be rude and snarky.

As far as the taxi's at the bottom of the hill at Horseshoe, yes, it has been posted many times and everywhere about them being there...but it has been posted it's a $2 ride to the top to catch the bus (or $2 down). The person on another thread posted that those taxi's would not only take you up the hill, but all the way back to the dockyard for $7. It was in question whether or not this was true. I was just confirming it. :)

The other discussion in another thread about $7 back to the dockyard from the taxi's at the bottom of the hill at Horseshoe:

"Yes, twice we were at Horseshoe and both time the cab we caught would either bring us to the top or all the way to the dockyard. There are just a bunch of cabbies waiting around, not sure if certain ones just go to the top of the hill or not! I thought we paid $7 per person with 4 people in the cab."

"If I remember right (I could look at my old review here), it was $2 to the top or $7 to the Dockyard."

"Just found my October 2012 review and yes, it was $2 to the top and $7 back to the ship from Horseshoe. I think it was the same in October 2013."

with njhorseman posting "The information on the $7 shuttle is both outdated and a little incomplete. That was the price taxis were offering for shared rides (although they could take you with less than a full taxi for that price if they wanted to) before the Dockyard-organized $16 per person shared ride round trip shuttle was put in place last year. That was also before taxi fares were increased 25% in May, 2014"

"There have been many changes to transportation offerings, organization and fares in the last year or so. Taxis fares increased about 25% in May, 2014. Bus and ferry fares increased for the second time in recent years in April, 2015. The Dockyard began offering an organized shared ride shuttle system to Horseshoe Bay in 2014."

So before I left, it was in question whether or not the taxi's at the bottom of the hill still offered the $7 ride pp back to the dockyard since they created this new shuttle service for $16pp round trip back and forth to the dockyard/Horseshoe Bay and also because of the increase in pricing since then.

I was just posting our experience to say that the cabs will in fact still take you all the way back to the dockyard for $7pp (and $1 per kid...and we had 3 of them). :)

Our family will be on the Breakaway this Sunday. Just wondering based on your opinion which town should I spend more time at? George or Hamilton? Also how was Tobacco Bay and Horseshoe Bay? Was it really crowded? Overall any recommendation what to do and which thing to avoid? Thanks.

St. George and Hamilton are both very different. Hamilton, to me, is just a good place to shop if you want to spend a lot of money. It is very metropolitan with lots of stores selling high priced items. St. George is quaint. It has several shops but they are small and interesting to look around. The area around St. George is more rural and relaxed. Hamilton is a "city." St. George is a "Town" if that makes any sense to you. They do a reenactment at noon in the Town Square of the Ducking of the town wench in St. George. A great time is had by all. St. George has the Unfinished Church, St. Peter's Church and other historical sites to visit. There are places in Hamilton such as Fort Hamilton and the BUEI that you can visit. I have never checked either of these out. There are Caves you can visit, also. I would vote for spending more time in and around St. George, if it were me.

Tobacco Bay is a small beach and sometimes crowded. There are rock formations that people jump off from into the water and snorkeling if you want to do that. Horseshoe Beach is massive and has lots of space to spread out. I have never felt crowded there. All you have to do is walk down the beach to your left and there is always space to claim as your own. Both beaches have their special interests. Horseshoe is one of Bermuda's Pink Sand Beaches.

DH and I also did the Miniature Golf that is at Snorkel Park right at the Dockyard last year. It is an 18 hole course and very challenging. The scenery is wonderful. It was $18 a person last year but a lot of fun for the both of us. We are not golfers, by the way.

I hope this helps you with planning your time in Bermuda. There is no way you can not enjoy your time on this beautiful island. Wish I was going again this year. Will miss visiting Bermuda.

My problem was the bus we tried to get on that SAID #7 to Hamilton, the guy that was directing the people on which bus to get on told me that it was NOT the bus that I wanted. I told him we were going to Warwick and he argued with me "no, this bus is going to Hamilton, it won't be going to Warwick stop, you need the next bus". I knew after all the research that I did prior to going that that was the bus I needed to catch.

Then when this "special" bus came after the #7 bus, I specifically told him again we were going to Warwick and he put us on that bus. He was a jerk and rude...along with the bus driver as well who completely coped an attitude when we inquired about getting to Warwick when we had to get off the bus at Horseshoe.

Another thing that I have NEVER read on these boards with all my research (and if I did I obviously did not fully understand it) was when everyone on here said "you need the correct" money/change to get on the bus if you didn't have a ticket or token was... you need the correct CHANGE...as in coins...not dollars. To me correct change means...if you need $5.00 to get on the bus, here's either a $5 bill, or 5 ones or whatever. For kids $2.75 is 2 dollar bills and 3 quarters. Nope...they will ONLY take change. I did not know this. The guy at the bus stop first told us NO cash saying "You must have a bus pass or a token. Then after the next bus came he then said yes on cash as long as it was the right amount. Then once we tried to get on, he then informed us it was coins ONLY. It was such a cluster f*ck day of confusion and he was not helpful AT ALL. I have always read that the people in Bermuda were so friendly and helpful and we found the entire bus system to be rude and snarky.

As far as the taxi's at the bottom of the hill at Horseshoe, yes, it has been posted many times and everywhere about them being there...but it has been posted it's a $2 ride to the top to catch the bus (or $2 down). The person on another thread posted that those taxi's would not only take you up the hill, but all the way back to the dockyard for $7. It was in question whether or not this was true. I was just confirming it. :)

I've posted that cash bus fare can be paid in coins only in response to bus fare questions on virtually a daily basis.

I do appreciate your confirming that one way shared ride taxis at $7 per person are still available from Horseshoe Bay. I thought they might have eliminated it, or at least raised the fare by $1 after the taxi fare increase and the introduction of the new $16 round trip shuttle, but apparently I was wrong.

The bus dispatcher has a limit of how many cruise passengers are allowed on a regular #7 bus. That may have been what happened. He wanted you to wait for the next regular #7 bus. The reason for the limit is that Bermudians use the buses to get to work and school. So if the bus gets filled at the Dockyard then at all the later stops until the beaches there is no room on the bus for the citizens.

You may not have read it but it has been posted on these boards many times that you need a token, a pass, ticket, or correct change. That is why they have tokens. The fare box can't accept paper bills. If they could take currency there would be not be much of a reason for tokens. As far as the bus system I have found usually they are friendly if you are polite to them but I have encountered exceptions. The bus dispatchers at the Dockyard are more interested in moving buses and people along than answering questions.

As far as at the bottom of the hill there is a separate shuttle called Top of the Hill who drives up and down the hill to the public bus stop. That is what you were reading about as $2. He has been doing that for years. It was $1 when he first started. That is different from the taxis or the Horseshoe Bay Shuttles that you can catch at the bottom of the hill.

Edited by Charles4515

I've posted that cash bus fare can be paid in coins only in response to bus fare questions on virtually a daily basis.

I do appreciate your confirming that one way shared ride taxis at $7 per person are still available from Horseshoe Bay. I thought they might have eliminated it, or at least raised the fare by $1 after the taxi fare increase and the introduction of the new $16 round trip shuttle, but apparently I was wrong.

I guess I didn't catch the "coins only" comments or it didn't quite sink in. I was thinking "coins" meaning the coins you buy at the visitor center to ride the bus and not actualy coins as in quarters. :o

The bus dispatcher has a limit of how many cruise passengers are allowed on a regular #7 bus. That may have been what happened. He wanted you to wait for the next regular #7 bus. The reason for the limit is that Bermudians use the buses to get to work and school. So if the bus gets filled at the Dockyard then at all the later stops until the beaches there is no room on the bus for the citizens.

You may not have read it but it has been posted on these boards many times that you need a token, a pass, ticket, or correct change. That is why they have tokens. The fare box can't accept paper bills. If they could take currency there would be not be much of a reason for tokens. As far as the bus system I have found usually they are friendly if you are polite to them but I have encountered exceptions. The bus dispatchers at the Dockyard are more interested in moving buses and people along than answering questions.

As far as at the bottom of the hill there is a separate shuttle called Top of the Hill who drives up and down the hill to the public bus stop. That is what you were reading about as $2. He has been doing that for years. It was $1 when he first started. That is different from the taxis or the Horseshoe Bay Shuttles that you can catch at the bottom of the hill.

That makes sense about the bus. But at the particular time we were there, I honestly do not think that was the case because after us he kept going around asking if there was anyone else going to Hamilton and confirming that everyone there was waiting to go to Horseshoe (which like I said, I told him we were going to Warwick). :(

Still when I read the comments about "correct change" I see this as just money. Maybe the word "change" where I'm from and the terminology that we use when we say to have correct change just means the right amount with no money left over needing returned to you. I don't take this as "change" as in "coins". The part that aggravated me was he said tickets, passes or tokens. Only to later say that if you had the correct change you could use that as well. Then only to find out it meant "coin change". The terminology was just confusing. Now that I know what it means, I will be better prepared next time. But when someone tells me to have the correct change...it means the correct amount, not correct "change in coins". LOL

As for not being able to accept any "paper" in the box, they do take the tickets, which is what we used, which is paper. But I guess that's why they are so small (like the size of a coin), which makes sense why they would take them I guess.

We did see the "Top of the Hill" shuttle while we were there. :D

Now that I know what it means, I will be better prepared next time.

Glad that there will be a next time. Sounds like you liked Bermuda despite that the hiccups with the public bus service. That is why they have added new services like the Horseshoe Shuttles. Of course those would not have got you to Warrick either. How did the weather turn out?

Edited by Charles4515

Glad that there will be a next time. Sounds like you liked Bermuda despite that the hiccups with the public bus service. That is why they have added new services like the Horseshoe Shuttles. Of course those would not have got you to Warrick either. How did the weather turn out?

There will absolutely be a next time. I actually booked another cruise on the Dawn there for the exact same time next year (before we ever left for this one)...however, I'm starting to rethink this (the ship not the island) and may look for something else.

The weather AFTER getting to Bermuda was AWESOME!! Perfect every day. I think it might have sprinkled a little one night we were there and passing by the pools to get back to our room, but we were inside at dinner and the casino so it did not affect us at all. The ride there and back home...not so nice. LOL

There will absolutely be a next time. I actually booked another cruise on the Dawn there for the exact same time next year (before we ever left for this one)...however, I'm starting to rethink this (the ship not the island) and may look for something else.

The weather AFTER getting to Bermuda was AWESOME!! Perfect every day. I think it might have sprinkled a little one night we were there and passing by the pools to get back to our room, but we were inside at dinner and the casino so it did not affect us at all. The ride there and back home...not so nice. LOL

Glad you had great weather. I know you worried because of the forecasts. I will be leaving for Bermuda next weekend and am hoping for good weather. As for the ride there and back, hope not to have a bad ride either way. I have had some doozies to Bermuda. The seas can get rough. I have been on over 50 cruises and have only seen the barf bags out on a couple of those cruises. I tell people who have never done a cruise, they might not want to do Bermuda as their first, because they may never want book a cruise again thinking they are all like that.

Edited by Charles4515

There's always the Breakaway!

Having done both the Breakaway and the Dawn, I actually like the itinerary out of NYC a little better, because you get two sea days on the way down, and one on the way back. I prefer that because when I leave Bermuda, I always feel like the vacation is ending; I feel like I get more mileage out of my sea days when I have two on the way down.

Plus there's more open in Bermuda on Wednesday / Thursday / Friday than on Sunday / Monday / Tuesday.

I'm looking forward to the review; I'm glad you had good weather when you were on the island!