Sony A6000

c230k

shadow8800, I saved the picture you posted and ran it through photoshop elements 14 using my standard photo sequence. The steps were 1) Auto Haze Removal, 2) Auto Smart Fix, and 3) Unsharp Mask (@ default of 50%). That is just basic photoshop with the training wheels on. This is the result of those 3 steps:

Wow...thank you I will definitely look into some photo editing programs instead of relying on the one that Sony has.

shadow8800, I saved the picture you posted and ran it through photoshop elements 14 using my standard photo sequence. The steps were 1) Auto Haze Removal, 2) Auto Smart Fix, and 3) Unsharp Mask (@ default of 50%). That is just basic photoshop with the training wheels on. This is the result of those 3 steps:

Wow...thank you I will definitely look into some photo editing programs instead of relying on the one that Sony has.

You should be able to save that image directly. With today's digital photography, it is at least 1/3 post-processing, maybe more, to get the best images. The ultimate question is how big are you going to print the picture and how much, if any, will it be cropped. I won't have all of your answers, but I've given an insight into what can be done with less than optimum photo files.

About half my lenses are manual now. The A6x00's focus peaking and the fact that I shoot action and wildlife infrequently makes them a bargain-basement doorway to some creative fun. I usually do a gallery of ship shots from a cruise but on the next one, I am going to do two or three of my daily walkabouts with a single specific lens...fisheye, Lensbaby, 85 f/1.4, etc. and put them in separate galleries. I've done this before with isolated shots but never spent a whole session with one lens.

A tack-sharp $2000 lens in not the key to having fun with your camera and is absolutely not necessary for great pictures!

Thanks for the heads-up John!

Dave

Also, picked up a Neewer tt880 flash and trigger for $140. My research show it is a rebranded Godox tt685s, if it is I made out the reviews online are almost nonexistent.

John

Third-party stuff for the Sony mirrorless is becoming plentiful. The Nissin flash I picked up a couple of months ago has turned out to be a very versatile unit. I'm thinking of picking up a second one to put together a portable mini-studio setup.

I keep repeating that it's a great time to be a photographer simply because it continues to be a great time to be a photographer!

Dave

I'm still playing catch-up: Just bought the Rokinon 12mm/2.0 so I'll have it for a camping trip next week. Amazon had the silver one for 329.00 forever so cashed in a gift card and pushed the total including tax to under 300.

So, speaking of dark skies and star pictures - I'm going to lock the a6000 onto my heavy-duty Bogen tripod and try to get some vista-type sky shots at night. I use the Star Walk app to help identify the most promising parts of the sky.

Tips I received so far from others include:

• Use a remote release
  • Full manual
  • Turn off long exposure noise reduction
  • Set white balance to 3900K
  • Use the 500/aperture rule to minimize coma/star trails
  • Use as low an ISO as conditions allow

Anything else anyone know of that might help this be a successful outing? I also am going to try a time lapse with the Sony app.

I look forward to having something worthy to share in the weekly picture threads.

I tried it last week and did something wrong and just got black screens, maybe I forgot to take off the lens cap, was drinking White Russians before I ventured off in the field. Good luck to you

John

Lens cap - check.

:D (sorry about your outing - been there, done that)

• 2 weeks later...

I the middle of my vacation in Cancun I noticed my sensor is very dirty, after researching how to do it. I decided after three years a good professional cleaning should be done. It's gonna cost $65 which is really not that bad pricing out what I need to buy to do it myself. The repair center is surprised I haven't cleaned it yet they say the Sony's are dust magnets. Anybody seen this?

John

I the middle of my vacation in Cancun I noticed my sensor is very dirty, after researching how to do it. I decided after three years a good professional cleaning should be done. It's gonna cost $65 which is really not that bad pricing out what I need to buy to do it myself. The repair center is surprised I haven't cleaned it yet they say the Sony's are dust magnets. Anybody seen this?

John

I guess that since I don't change lenses in the field unless I really have to, I don't get a lot of sensor dust. That said, I do get my share because the bare sensor with no mirror running interference for it does attract dust more than a mirrored camera. (Turning the camera off when you change lenses can reduce any dust-friendly static charge on the sensor.) I always check and clean my sensors before a trip. I also take an emergency kit and my sensor brush along, just in case. (Polaroid has a much less expensive one available now.)

You don't have to have your sensor cleaned too many times at $65 a pop to justify the purchase. Plus, the repair center can't help you when a big blob of dust appears on your sensor in the middle of a 10 day cruise! :)

Article here: http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/sensorclean.html

Dave

If any of you regulars haven't picked up one of the amazing little Rokinon/Samyang 12mm f/2.0 lenses, the silver version for Sony E is still $329 and is Prime eligible.

I know silver doesn't look "Pro", but you can always tell the snobs it's the expensive, limited edition "retro" model! :)

Dave

If any of you regulars haven't picked up one of the amazing little Rokinon/Samyang 12mm f/2.0 lenses, the silver version for Sony E is still $329 and is Prime eligible.

I know silver doesn't look "Pro", but you can always tell the snobs it's the expensive, limited edition "retro" model! :)

Dave

But it looks great on my silver body :)

John

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys and dolls, I need help, my son the percussionist has advance to a point he will be doing a solo with his University Symphony, I would like to record this and know from taking pictures before in this low light environment I need to have special settings. It will be in the College auditorium with a lit stage. I will be in the audience with a tripod and the SEL50/1.8

I read in low light to use the 24FPS setting with ISO 2400. Please Help its this Friday

John

Hello experts --- I've posed this question on the thread about the Sony 18-105 f/4 PZ G OSS lens, but haven't received any replies, and since my question also pertains to the a6000, I thought I'd go ahead and ask it here.

A number of the reviews of this lens say it has a good bit of (pin cushion) distortion at the longer focal lengths. I was wondering whether folks here who have used this lens have experienced that.

I'm a jpeg shooter, I'd be using the lens on my a6000, and so am wondering about this possible problem. I do like to take a lot of architectural images (cathedrals, other buildings, etc.).

Will the a6000's in-camera Distortion Correction take care of distortion issues with this lens? (Any reason to set that feature to Auto rather than On?)

Basically, I'm asking whether there's a distortion problem with this lens, and if so, whether it can only be dealt with in post.

Thanks for any advice!

Hello experts --- I've posed this question on the thread about the Sony 18-105 f/4 PZ G OSS lens, but haven't received any replies, and since my question also pertains to the a6000, I thought I'd go ahead and ask it here.

A number of the reviews of this lens say it has a good bit of (pin cushion) distortion at the longer focal lengths. I was wondering whether folks here who have used this lens have experienced that.

I'm a jpeg shooter, I'd be using the lens on my a6000, and so am wondering about this possible problem. I do like to take a lot of architectural images (cathedrals, other buildings, etc.).

Will the a6000's in-camera Distortion Correction take care of distortion issues with this lens? (Any reason to set that feature to Auto rather than On?)

Basically, I'm asking whether there's a distortion problem with this lens, and if so, whether it can only be dealt with in post.

Thanks for any advice!

It does have some distortion but if you shoot JPEG (like me 98% of the time), the A6000 has in-camera correction for the lens that makes the distortion irrelevant. If you shoot RAW and use Lightroom, there's a profile for it that does the same thing.

I have been very pleased with the lens and have it on my camera almost all the time now.

Dave

It does have some distortion but if you shoot JPEG (like me 98% of the time), the A6000 has in-camera correction for the lens that makes the distortion irrelevant. If you shoot RAW and use Lightroom, there's a profile for it that does the same thing.

I have been very pleased with the lens and have it on my camera almost all the time now.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your help as always. When using the in-camera correction feature, is it best to set it to Auto or On?

Thanks!

Edited by Turtles06

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your help as always. When using the in-camera correction feature, is it best to set it to Auto or On?

Thanks!

I set mine to Auto so it doesn't go crazy trying to compensate for non-Sony lenses. I'm not sure if it would, but I have watched phones (and the A6000) burn through battery power trying to find WiFi that doesn't exist. On the A6x00 cameras, the setting is disabled with the 18-105 and defaults to on.

Dave

Ok guys and dolls, I need help, my son the percussionist has advance to a point he will be doing a solo with his University Symphony, I would like to record this and know from taking pictures before in this low light environment I need to have special settings. It will be in the College auditorium with a lit stage. I will be in the audience with a tripod and the SEL50/1.8

I read in low light to use the 24FPS setting with ISO 2400. Please Help its this Friday

John

Sorry for the delayed response, I couldn't remember how I shot some of my sons jazz trumpet performances. (55-210 wide open at 6.3 and it was a bit sketchy, with the 18-105 we were allowed on stage in a club jazz setting and at f4 it came out pretty good with stage lighting.)

vtzsVP0fHps

Playing with my a6000/1.8-50mm, I seem to be able to get smooth video in my dim living room with the following settings:

Record Setting: 30p 50M

Program Auto

ISO = 2000

1/90th Shutter Speed

I have to believe with stage lighting you should be fine, or even bump up the ISO a bit more. 60p/50M also looks very smooth, just fyi.

As an amateur percussionist myself, any shutter speed over 1/60 should be clear and pleasing unless he goes into full death metal mode with a ton of body movement - otherwise timpani, session, etc. with slightly blurred hands looks cool to me.

Hope this helps.