Possible allergy to Star luxury pillows

algaes

Among our group of 12 or so, four reported reactions from the pillows provided in bedrooms with upgraded bedding.

- Two of those with issues moved from a Veranda stateroom to Explorer Suite late in the cruise and had immediate issues with the "better" bedding. They retrieved the pillows from their former Veranda room and issues were resolved.

- DW reports some dryness and redness she had on the side of her face she slept on cleared up within three nights of being off the ship.

The pillows are made by Muehldorfer (alt spelling without umlaut on U). The pillow labels give the composition as 2/3 feather and 1/3 fire resistant treated silcone material. They feel as if the artificial material encases the feathers.

The artificial material is used to fill their allergy free pillows they sell to the public. The fire resistant treatment used was unfamiliar to me but be in common use in Europe, etc.

So if you have any suspicion of possible reactions or experience reactions, ask room attendants for alternate pillows. Supposedly the upgraded pillows are substantially fluffier in appearance from standard pillows.

Those involved had a bathroom whose floor was failing with grout coming out and tiles chipping due to flexing in the floor. They were told as many as 20 stateroom bathrooms had failing floors by the time of the Bergen - Stockholm portion of the 50 day maiden cruise.

They were allowed to pick from a number of available staterooms, one of which was an Explorer Suite. There were lots of non-passenger types on that cruise specially from London onwards so there never was a full ship.

You're being kind with the "non-passenger types", Leo - I would have called them "non-paying VIP special guests getting all the internet bandwidth and excellent customer service that should have been going to paying passengers." :(

I do agree with Leo though. I don't think the ship ever had anywhere close to 930 paying passengers. Lots of these VIPS and Press Corps people would get on for a few days and then get off. They very seldom stayed for a whole segment, which then allowed some movement of cabins.

FYI - These two passengers that Leo speaks of with the failing floor had to wait I think close to a week before they were moved. But Leo knew them better than I did so can correct me if I'm wrong on that. I do know they were not moved immediately.