Bringing bottled water on board--Is it really necessary?

cma2008

We'll be on the Golden in July and just driving to port since SF is our home port.

I drink a lot of water, especially with Mio. Is it really necessary to bring a case of water on board or is water easily accessible/safe to drink?

We'll be on the Golden in July and just driving to port since SF is our home port.

I drink a lot of water, especially with Mio. Is it really necessary to bring a case of water on board or is water easily accessible/safe to drink?

The onboard water is many times filtered and treated more so then your home tap water.

It is very safe to drink. :)

Like debating whether the water out of your tap or drinking fountain is safe. FWIW on all our cruises always just drank what they served us. When we were in europe we did break down and did the bottled thing, but mostly tap for us.

Before getting on the ship, I take out my lightweight folding wheeled duffel bag.

We stop at the nearest CVS type store, walking distance to pre cruise hotel.

On Princess, I hate that they don't have a beverage package that is just water- as that is what I mostly drink, using Crystal light type mixes, and a lot of ice.

I rarely drink alcohol, and at night can only drink decafinated diet sodas, if not water. So we get about 24 bottles of water (which I refil empty bottles at the buffet- (no lectures please about sanitation- I first fill up a few glasses and transfer at table, thanks) But I bring the packaged water mostly for convenience, as I don't want to keep filling up bottles constantly. We have found that 24 bottles of 16 oz each have worked for us for cruises 7 to 10 days or so on Princess. We also pick up a case of Sprite Zero and decafinated Diet Coke. What ever is not finished, I just leave on board for room steward. But usually we have used up everything.

Friend of mine worked in the quality control unit of the local Water corp he bought some water home and tested it and said it was purer than any of the bottled water.

His only issue was that it was SO pure he was worried the crew might be missing out on some minerals.

I drink the shipboard water as does my wife but she also brings some bottles of Propel water as she likes the flavor. It's not really a hassle and it makes her happy.

I will never understand the people who purchase flats of bottled water. The stuff comes from places like the Fresno municipal water supply. Bleh... I don't know why people seem to "need" to have a bottle of water at hand all the time. I seem to have grown up for many, many years without this particular "need".

Water on the ship is readily available, good and safe!

Personally, I save myself a whole lot of hassle lugging flats of water to the porters at embarkation. Not necessary in my opinion!

Think about all the extra recycling/garbage you are bringing on the ship. If a quarter of the passengers brought aboard cases of pop/water, think of the extra waste the ship has to dispose of. Bring a reusable bottle from home and refill it onboard. The water is good - better than bottled.

Another vote for drinking the ship's water. I bring my empty reusable water bottle and simply refill it. For excursions, it fits into an outside mesh pocket on my daypack or loops through the strap on my cross body purse.

Think about all the extra recycling/garbage you are bringing on the ship. If a quarter of the passengers brought aboard cases of pop/water, think of the extra waste the ship has to dispose of. Bring a reusable bottle from home and refill it onboard. The water is good - better than bottled.

What's the difference, in recycling terms, between bringing 12 cans of pop on with you and buying 12 cans of pop on board :confused::confused:

Another vote for drinking the ship's water. I bring my empty reusable water bottle and simply refill it. For excursions, it fits into an outside mesh pocket on my daypack or loops through the strap on my cross body purse.

Careful how you refill it though.

I bring a case. I'm fine with the ship's water, but the bottles are convenient to take ashore or while exercising, and by putting them in the cooler, they can be relatively cold. I prefer not to re-use water bottles as they have gone so far in cutting excess plastic from the bottles that leaks are possible.

I bring a case. I'm fine with the ship's water, but the bottles are convenient to take ashore or while exercising, and by putting them in the cooler, they can be relatively cold. I prefer not to re-use water bottles as they have gone so far in cutting excess plastic from the bottles that leaks are possible.

Some people bring reusable water bottles, like those made by Nalgene and Tervis, for example. They come in a variety of sizes too.

I agree that reusing a bottled water bottle isn't a good idea, due to the possible leakage.

Friend of mine worked in the quality control unit of the local Water corp he bought some water home and tested it and said it was purer than any of the bottled water.

His only issue was that it was SO pure he was worried the crew might be missing out on some minerals.

I have owned a water treatment company for 30 years and have over 10,000 customers. Your post is ridiculous , don't want to get into a debate but it is completely incorrect.

I always drink tap water and I drink quite a bit. I bring a water bottle with me when I travel, refill it from the tap in my cabin, put it in the frig. I don't care for the taste of any bottled water and I've tried many. I can drink them but don't see what the big deal is. I have friends who buy it all the time, living near the Great Lakes, why would I?

I have owned a water treatment company for 30 years and have over 10,000 customers. Your post is ridiculous , don't want to get into a debate but it is completely incorrect.

Well sorry you feel that way, I am just recounting what I was told by a quality control manager at the local water board that would have about five million customers, so you know I sort of suspect he may have some idea what he is talking about.

But if you think it is ridiculous that is your right.

Well sorry you feel that way, I am just recounting what I was told by a quality control manager at the local water board that would have about five million customers, so you know I sort of suspect he may have some idea what he is talking about.

But if you think it is ridiculous that is your right.

Let me first opologize for being short. Ships top off tanks in port with tap water. Some if not most tap water in the states is contaminated to certain extents. The ship does desalinate ocean water on a large scale and of course is safe. Purified I wouldn't quite go there. Running water through CPVC pipe is not the best delivery method. Bottled water is a mixed bag for sure. Do not rely on anything besides distilled which I think taste bad or reverse osmosis which is the most effective method of purification. Reverse osmosis will take out bacteria, cyst, heavy metals , THM's and trace amounts of chemicals that get into water supplies. As for minerals the body needs organic minerals not inorganic. Women need iron but ingesting iron dust won't do it. You get more minerals eating a good salad than drinking a bathtub of water. Yes I do not have any problem drinking ships water but I do prefer a good bottle of reverse osmosis water when I can get it traveling.