Overwhelmed Oasis Embarkees ~ Please point me in the right direction

Hello Cruise Experts!

I need a little guidance.

We (2 adults and 1 DD 17, 1 DS 15) just booked the Oasis for 1 August 2015 sailing. We've sailed RCCL several years ago, but never on this massive of a ship!

I am a bit overwhelmed as to where to begin with reservations.

This late in the game, we are able to only get MyTime Dining.

I do have a thousand questions, but I plan on scouring these boards over the next few weeks. It's going to be my full time job!

What I'm asking all of you kind advice givers is to point me in the right direction as to what I should reserve first and any other initial tips you can give me.

Thank you!!

What I'm asking all of you kind advice givers is to point me in the right direction as to what I should reserve first and any other initial tips you can give me.

Thank you!!

Book your shows.

Join your roll call.

If you see any excursions that are a must, book now. They could fill up.

Do your research about the ship. Check out the deck plans and get familiar. You will not be able to do everything on this incredible ship, so try to get an idea of where you want to go and do on the ship.

As soon as you board head to Entertainment Place, deck 5, if I remember correctly. There, you can book your shows.

They hold back a number of reservations. Just be sure to do it right away. See them all if you can. They are great! :)

Welcome aboard Kar529

We are sailing with you.

There is a cruise thread for this sailing, with a lot of reading material.

If you get a chance register for the Meet and Mingle and if you attend you too can win some surplus RCI merchandise and meet others on the thread.

Sea Ya

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2021926

Safe travels.

So easy to book the shows online....why wait to stand in line when you board? And it seems to be easier to book your dining around the shows than vice versa....although booking dining is a hassle (at least MDR). Seems the choices left are 5:45 and 7:30 and you have to allow 2 hours (ugh!!) to eat. So if you have a 9:00 show you have to book the 5:45. I book dining for 3 nights - now I have to go back and see what other complimentary walk-in dinner options there are. (I heard the buffet is not so good.) Cruising used to be so easy.... *sigh*. I cruise because I don't want to have to do all this planning and booking before my trip.

IF you are a small party, dinner shouldn't take 2 full hours.....when seated with only YOUR OWN PARTY, you can ask for service to be speeded up, if you need to. You really don't need to pre-book every single night's dining in advance. You can do it as you go along!

This is supposed to be a VACATION...every single second shouldn't be scheduled!

IF you are a small party, dinner shouldn't take 2 full hours.....when seated with only YOUR OWN PARTY, you can ask for service to be speeded up, if you need to. You really don't need to pre-book every single night's dining in advance. You can do it as you go along!

This is supposed to be a VACATION...every single second shouldn't be scheduled!

Well, that's good to know because I don't know what or what time I'll feel like eating 2 months from now!!

you won't do it all in a week, deep breath and accept that. research here to be informed, but not to obsession. Read reviews. Pack lighter, breathe deeper and yes, put the camera away a bit and live the experience.

Don't stress, it will be too much to do and you'll miss "important stuff", you are still breathing, return and re-book;)

book all shows and dinners as early as possible, but be flexible... want to take a break and hide in your room with room service, DO IT.

Sometimes, we are fighting so hard to have a great time, we are too tired to do so...

don't do that:D

Edited by nimbex1970

Well, that's good to know because I don't know what or what time I'll feel like eating 2 months from now!!

Isn't that the good thing about MTD? If you want to change when you want to eat, you can do so they day of.

OP, I agree with booking the shows, then book dining. Then look at excursions. Anything that's not available ahead of time may be able to be booked on board (but don't count on it, have a backup plan).

My Time Dining is almost a necessity for sailing this ship so consider it a positive. This will allow you to book the shows you want, when you want and then work your meals in around that. I have always pre-scheduled the shows and then we just show up for dining whenever without pre-booking a time. You can get all the shows in in one week with a little planning (sometimes doing them back to back.)

Good luck - you will have a blast!

Hello Cruise Experts!

We (2 adults and 1 DD 17, 1 DS 15) just booked the Oasis for 1 August 2015 sailing. We've sailed RCCL several years ago, but never on this massive of a ship!

I do have a thousand questions, but I plan on scouring these boards over the next few weeks. It's going to be my full time job!

Thank you!!

I hope you have 2 cabins or a suite, the cabins on Oasis are really small compared to other RCL ships. I think 2 adults and older teenagers would not be enjoyable in a single cabin.

Hello Cruise Experts!

I could be completely wrong, but I'm convinced that RCCL tries to actively push people into MTD by always telling them at the time of initial reservation that MTD is all that is available. I've been on about 1.5 cruises a year the past four years and have gone through this same dance for every reservation:

1) At time of reservation, get told that only MTD is available.

2) Call back a week later, request reservation be changed to early seating. Most of the time, they now magically have it available. If not, ask to be waitlisted for early seating.

3) Check reservation online periodically. Eventually seating gets changed, usually shortly after final payment.

Anyway, worth a try.

I hope you have 2 cabins or a suite, the cabins on Oasis are really small compared to other RCL ships. I think 2 adults and older teenagers would not be enjoyable in a single cabin.

Yes, we have 2 adjoining cabins. two teens definitely need their own!

you won't do it all in a week, deep breath and accept that. research here to be informed, but not to obsession. Read reviews. Pack lighter, breathe deeper and yes, put the camera away a bit and live the experience.

Don't stress, it will be too much to do and you'll miss "important stuff", you are still breathing, return and re-book;)

book all shows and dinners as early as possible, but be flexible... want to take a break and hide in your room with room service, DO IT.

Sometimes, we are fighting so hard to have a great time, we are too tired to do so...

don't do that:D

love this advice! thank you!

Thanks everyone! Shows are booked as are a few MTD times.

Now to decide about beverage package...

My two teens (17 and 15) enjoy soda on vacation; love the virgin coladas/daquiris; and are now coffee drinkers. would the royal replenish make sense for them? I'm thinking that may be the way to go for all of us and then if my husband wants to have a couple drinks/beers each day, we'll pay ala carte.

If we have 2 cabins, can we bring 4 bottles of wine? And I'm reading on here that you can "check" cases of water like luggage?

Hello Cruise Experts!

Thank you!!

We are also on this cruise and just booked last Sunday. We started out by booking shows and then booking dinner times. We are also on my time dining. I booked times but I'm not entirely sure I am pleased with my choices. I'm thinking that since it is just the two of us we can change things up or speed up the dinner once we are on board. It is overwhelming. I am currently trying to figure out excursions. Happy planning. Maybe we'll run into you on board. Are you attending the Meet and Mingle?

My two teens (17 and 15) enjoy soda on vacation; love the virgin coladas/daquiris; and are now coffee drinkers. would the royal replenish make sense for them? I'm thinking that may be the way to go for all of us and then if my husband wants to have a couple drinks/beers each day, we'll pay ala carte.

If we have 2 cabins, can we bring 4 bottles of wine? And I'm reading on here that you can "check" cases of water like luggage?

To me,the Royal Replenish makes perfect sense for all of you, unless the adults would have more than 6 or 7 alcoholic drinks per day. Then it might make sense to get the premium or ultimate package. 2 bolttle of wine per state room.

The show reservations are important, and make sure you are there 15 minutes prior, otherwise they will make them available to anyone.

For breakfast and lunch make sure you visit the Park Café as the WJ is not as good as other ships. Other breakfast options are Johhny Rockets, Solarium Bistro, & Wipe Out Café (freshly made omelets.) For lunch other venues, in addition to the Park Café, are Solarium Bistro, Sorrento's, Wipe Out Café. MDR Tutti Salad Bar on sea days is a must IMHO.

Open 24 hrs is the Promenade Café for snacks, coffee, water etc.

Ice cream machines available by the children's pool area.

Finally, ENJOY yourselves and this ship--it's an amazing piece of engineering.

Royal Replenish it is for all 4 then! Does anyone know if the starbucks drinks are included in this? Thx!

Sdteacher.... Yes! same cruise. I added our name to the roll call. I tried to add both myself and my husband to the meet&mingle but, it says I'm unable to view my husbands reservation at this time. Our travel agent booked our 2 cabins, linked the 2 reservation numbers, but because of the ages of the kids (17 & 15), we have 1 adult and 1 kid in each room. Frustrated now because I can't view the second reservation to begin the online check in or make dining/show reservations for all of us! If that doesn't make sense, sorry. I've been on these boards all day!!!

Despite all of that, we are all looking forward to this cruise!!!

YES that is a good. I got it for my niece who is 13. This way she can have the same drink I' m having.