Carnivals staggered check in

1city@atime

In theory, staggering is a good idea, but if you wanted to reserve a cabana (for instance) those reservations will go to those assigned early boarding. That leaves no option for someone with a later assigned time.

As a local, like you, it would be hard to get a late time and watch the clock waiting to get into the car to drive to Canaveral when it's just a short drive away.

Absolutely why anyone booking a cruise should be diligent in their pre-cruise routine and why booking early, booking excursions, reserving dining times, reserving specialty restaurants, should all be "looked into" long before the cruise begins. Whether you book through a TA, Carnival rep, online or a third party booker you better "know" what everything is about. Poor planners have poor experiences and boarding and finding all the "fun" stuff sold out is only an indication someone didn't do their homework.

As computers and computer programs get more and more sophisticated I won't be in the least surprised if a "boarding time" isn't soon a part of the booking procedure...and when that happens I'll bet that loyalty will still have their own lines at the terminal but they will be limited to the time frame they booked for boarding.

Absolutely why anyone booking a cruise should be diligent in their pre-cruise routine and why booking early, booking excursions, reserving dining times, reserving specialty restaurants, should all be "looked into" long before the cruise begins. Whether you book through a TA, Carnival rep, online or a third party booker you better "know" what everything is about. Poor planners have poor experiences and boarding and finding all the "fun" stuff sold out is only an indication someone didn't do their homework.

As computers and computer programs get more and more sophisticated I won't be in the least surprised if a "boarding time" isn't soon a part of the booking procedure...and when that happens I'll bet that loyalty will still have their own lines at the terminal but they will be limited to the time frame they booked for boarding.

Sounds like you turn a pre cruise into a job. No wonder people complain when things don't go according to the computerized agenda.

Edited by RuthlessBoss
spell check

I see no reason for them to have more problems. They likely use the line more often because "they can", like it's a novelty.

Yes, when I purchase FTTF I go to guest services and use the premium line as many times as possible just because I can.

Pretty much spend my whole cruise there enjoying the novelty.

Sounds like you turn a pre cruise into a job. No wonder people complain when things don't go according to the computerized agenda.

Nope...half the fun of a cruise, for me, is the planning which leads to the anticipation, which leads to the fun. If I really want a cabana then I'll reserve it...if we don't stop at the port you always get your money back. If I reserve a time at the steak house there is no penalty to cancel but we are assured of a time. If I want to do cruise sponsored excursions we probably do them with the whole gang...so advanced reservations make it a lot less of a hassle...if someone wants to do the "behind the fun tour" why risk dissapointment if it is full. We travel with a fairly large group that meets for dinner, only, so why not book early enough to get the dining time we want and the tables linked.

All of this leads to a hassle free day at embark...where we get to the pier at 12:30, onboard by 1 to drop off our luggage, head to lunch...and for most of our cruises we have never had to go to guest services or the excursion desk for diddly squat, nor do we have to find the matre' d. Ah the bliss of a hassle free cruise without worrying if the guy in front of us may beat us to the excursion desk.

I just received an email that carnival is implementing staggered check in times. This is my 4th carnival cruise and have never had this happen before. Luckily I got a time slot the first hour. I don't agree with this process. I'm paying for that first day and want to get on as soon as I can to begin my vacation. I would be very upset if I had a late check in time. Any opinions or experiences?

Then they should add the first person from each boarding time to get to Red Frog gets a beer.

People at boarding are so rude they just ignore employee direction to stay seated "including the guy in the red shirt" (I heard that one time). They just all jam up where the line is to form like the ship is leaving w/o them unless they barge on. Even Platinum's and Diamonds crowd right to where the first person checking passes is standing. And people with wheelchairs who do get early boarding like the person pushing the wc is double parked or something. Then suddenly no one can speak English when they call zone 1. Many different zones line up and have to be told to wait, sometimes they are allowed to go through. It's maddening.

But then again I was in the grocery store today and carts were left in the middle of the aisle where you couldn't get around them, people took something off the shelf in front of me without saying excuse me, kids screamed for 10 minutes non stop with no redirection. Drivers are worse doing 30 in a 45 zone or 80 in a 60, texting so they go slow, fast, slow, fast. Block your ability to change lanes even though you're in the fast lane but they stay even with the car next to them at a slow rate.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

It is an interesting, yet subtle attempt to enhance the embarkation process. We along with most here, arrive early to board as soon as possible to enjoy our cruise vacation as much as possible.

What Carnival is attempting here is a normalization to one of the two least "fun" aspects of a Carnival cruise (the other being debarkation). Obviously, the attempt is to rid the boarding area of the hoards waiting to get on the ship. Most other cruise lines have been successful in staggering boarding times. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

Without sounding "snarky", don't be surprised if this becomes the norm. People are causing Carnival to do this. Everyone wants to board early to "start their vacation". Hence, huge crowds in the port terminal. Sooner or later it is going to get to the point that you will only be boarded when your time comes up. I was fairly late arriving at a port due to a transportation problem and arrived about 2:00. Walked right up to the counter and onto the ship all within about 10 minute timeframe. Everybody wants to be first. IMHO, my vacation starts the moment that I leave my home.

Without sounding "snarky", don't be surprised if this becomes the norm. People are causing Carnival to do this. Everyone wants to board early to "start their vacation". Hence, huge crowds in the port terminal. Sooner or later it is going to get to the point that you will only be boarded when your time comes up. I was fairly late arriving at a port due to a transportation problem and arrived about 2:00. Walked right up to the counter and onto the ship all within about 10 minute timeframe. Everybody wants to be first. IMHO, my vacation starts the moment that I leave my home.

Does not sound snarky to me at all and right on.

Agree...we've received those emails a few times, too. We get to the port after 1 or 2.. no waiting.

Just got an email about boarding tomorrow will be delayed due to routine tests being done, and to get there between 1230-230. We have FTTF, so we're still going to show up earlier than that and see what happens. I just wonder if they have changed their wording because most people were ignoring the staggered boarding email.