Passport or no?

And we were told by an officer that that was a myth spread on cc and they don't hand in your passport to the port agent

Who to believe, who knows

I just keep my passport with me and, therefore, don't need to worry about who to believe.

Then they get to take some time and spend extra money to get an expedited passport before they get on a plane!

I lost my passport in Aruba. I did not have to pay anything.

Since Aruba does not have a consulate I was able to go to the police station and give a sworn statement.

They are able to go into the data base and find me.

They wrote a report out which got me to the airport. The report was typed out in Dutch. I had an easy time getting through the Immigration from the Aruba side but had problems in the USA side. Took all of 30 minutes.

But for smaller countries- Like Haiti they might not have flights out to your destination so it could take longer to get home

Simple solution-- do not miss the ship

The one time fee for obtaining a passport..................for 9 1/2 years of usage (still cannot understand why you cannot use it in last 6 months), I vote for getting one.

Later

Later

Our passports expired in May and we used them on a March cruise. No six month rule for Caribbean cruises.

It is funny to me that people will spend thousands of dollars to cruise every year and spend hundreds on drink packages but will turn their nose up about spending $100 for a passport.

I can't speak for everyone (obviously) but when my family first started cruising it would have cost us in the neighborhood of $850 for 7 passports, which was more than half the cost of the cruise. Now, had they been required we would have either found a way to pay the price or we would have chosen a different vacation. As it was we did our due diligence and decided that for a 4 day cruise the risk was small enough to warrant foregoing the passports. We weren't sure at that point what our future travel plans were, whether the kids would even like cruising, etc. so it made sense to us to wait until such time that we actually needed the passports for the type of travel we were planning to take.

We obtained passports this year because we are going to Germany this fall. They cost a little over $300 for the two of us, so it is more than $100 a piece especially once you add everything together (photos, etc.).

A passport is the best form of travel ID, no doubt, but millions are able to travel on closed loop cruises every year with an alternative without issue, so it all comes down to a matter of choice and one's individual travel needs.

There are several caribbean nations who havre the 6 month rule. Cayman Islands,Haiti,Jamaica are some of the countries.

But have never had a problem in any of then

Countries may have a different rule for flying in as opposed to making a cruise stop.

I lost my passport in Aruba. I did not have to pay anything.

Since Aruba does not have a consulate I was able to go to the police station and give a sworn statement.

They are able to go into the data base and find me.

They wrote a report out which got me to the airport. The report was typed out in Dutch. I had an easy time getting through the Immigration from the Aruba side but had problems in the USA side. Took all of 30 minutes.

But for smaller countries- Like Haiti they might not have flights out to your destination so it could take longer to get home

Simple solution-- do not miss the ship

So the airline accepted a Dutch issued report as proof that you are an American Citizen? The airlines are very picky regarding such paperwork, as they get fined heavily if they bring a person to the USA without proper documentation.

Countries may have a different rule for flying in as opposed to making a cruise stop.

Most do, since most ports consider cruise passengers to be "in transit" and not be staying in the country for any extended period of time.

And what are the odds of someone missing the ship? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but is it realistic?

Missing the ship could happen if delayed for a number of reasons at the following ports:

Labadee, Haiti

Falmouth, Jamaica

Cozumel, Mexico

A passport isn't needed but I'd consider it the same as a ten year insurance policy should there be a problem.

bosco

Missing the ship could happen if delayed for a number of reasons at the following ports:

Labadee, Haiti

Falmouth, Jamaica

Cozumel, Mexico

And the sky is blue. :rolleyes:

A passport isn't needed but I'd consider it the same as a ten year insurance policy should there be a problem.

bosco

The bolded is the answer to the OP's question. The rest of your statement should determine whether someone gets a passport or not... their acceptance of risk. If someone wants to take the chance of going through whatever hurdles (financial or time) of not having a passport, that's on them.

As someone posted earlier said, LOTS (millions? hundreds of thousands?) of cruisers don't have passports and have returned home safe and sound.

If you travel GET THE PASSPORTS. if $100 is an issue simple just do not go. Flame away for being blunt!!!!!!!!

Having said that, you do not really need a PP but what if you do, in an emergency.

If someone can't afford a passport then how will they possibly be able to pay for services in a foreign country in case of emergency?

Even with insurance you still have to pay out of pocket for medical care and then file for reimbursement.

If you miss the ship, you will need to pay out of pocket for a hotel and meals and to catch up with the ship or fly home (in which case you definitely need that passport).

I wouldn't set foot out of the country without my passport, insurance, a hefty credit line on multiple credit cards and a nice stash of cash for emergencies.

Labadee, Haiti

Falmouth, Jamaica

Cozumel, Mexico

bosco

Seriously? How do you miss the ship when in RCI's fence enclosed compound that has a closed gate with armed guard to make sure no one, who is not supposed to, gets through the gate?

I am on the side of strongly encouraging all those going to have their passport BUT on the other side of the coin after telling them what could happen I am not able to demand that they have to have it. I want them to know the risks but the end decision is up to them. I would never lie to them and say Yes you have to have them when in reality they don't.

For my family we all 4 have ours and we would never never dream of going out on a cruise without them.

Thank You everyone for the help :)

If someone can't afford a passport then how will they possibly be able to pay for services in a foreign country in case of emergency?

Even with insurance you still have to pay out of pocket for medical care and then file for reimbursement.

If you miss the ship, you will need to pay out of pocket for a hotel and meals and to catch up with the ship or fly home (in which case you definitely need that passport).

I wouldn't set foot out of the country without my passport, insurance, a hefty credit line on multiple credit cards and a nice stash of cash for emergencies.

You are out of pocket with many of the same expenses even if you have a passport, it just may be less than if you don't have one (depending very heavily on the circumstances). Many passengers travel with no back up, either because they don't have it or they don't plan correctly, but that's their business, not mine.

And the sky is blue. :rolleyes:

The bolded is the answer to the OP's question. The rest of your statement should determine whether someone gets a passport or not... their acceptance of risk. If someone wants to take the chance of going through whatever hurdles (financial or time) of not having a passport, that's on them.

As someone posted earlier said, LOTS (millions? hundreds of thousands?) of cruisers don't have passports and have returned home safe and sound.

I could care less if you, the people cruising with the OP or any of the millions of others you mention have a passport or not. Sorry for having an opinion!

bosco

Those that are renewing passports make sure you do it with plenty of time to spare in case anything goes wrong.

Our passports expire in mid July. On May 20th I sent in the application. Routine applications are taking 4-6 weeks to process. Others have reported on here that they have received them within a couple of weeks. I kept checking the progress online and it was still processing. After 5 weeks I get a letter from the passport agency saying that in order to complete the process they need a completed page 2 of the application.

It seems when I filled the application out online and printed it out I didn't print page 2. I didn't realize it and sent it in. I filled out page 2 and sent that to them as they requested. It's now been about 7 weeks and it shows that it's still processing. If I don't receive them in a week or so I'll need to give them a call since I'll need them for a cruise at the end of this month.

And this was all because of one simple goof up on my part.

Seriously? How do you miss the ship when in RCI's fence enclosed compound that has a closed gate with armed guard to make sure no one, who is not supposed to, gets through the gate?

I imagine that it not possible for a medical emergency needing evacuation to happen.

What about a legal problem with the local armed police?

Again this just an opinon on my part and the possibilities are extremely slim, however "stuff" happens.

Sorry but it's just my opinion and not an argument.

bosco

Labadee, Haiti

Falmouth, Jamaica

Cozumel, Mexico

bosco

No one misses the ship in Labadee