Plumbing problems on the Oasis of the Seas?

While looking for videos about the Oasis of the Seas, I came across this trio of videos showing a passenger's frustration with cabin plumbing for the third time:

Unfortunately, there's no explanation or followup.

Hopefully, this doesn't happen a lot. But when it does, what recourse does a passenger have on a full ship?

Those videos were just posted yesterday. Not sure what kind of followup you are looking for. As far as what recourse the passengers would have on a full ship, if they kept pushing the issue with guest services, which they should have, an empty cabin would have been found for them.

There is a drain on the floor I think on every ship we've been on, not sure why he's sponging it into the shower.....

Sorry they were dealing with that, but I would think "mold forming" would be the last of my concerns.......................

Edited by bouhunter

Those videos were just posted yesterday. Not sure what kind of followup you are looking for. As far as what recourse the passengers would have on a full ship, if they kept pushing the issue with guest services, which they should have, an empty cabin would have been found for them.

How do you find an empty cabin if none are available? At least that's what the video poster seemed to imply.

How do you find an empty cabin if none are available? At least that's what the video poster seemed to imply.

Why are you asking? Are you worried about a cruise on oasis that has not taken place yet. Sooner or later if you cruise enough you will run into a stopped up drain in the bathroom, most of the time its compliments of your neighbors

Why are you asking? Are you worried about a cruise on oasis that has not taken place yet. Sooner or later if you cruise enough you will run into a stopped up drain in the bathroom, most of the time its compliments of your neighbors

I want to know what to do if this happens on my upcoming cruise.

They will tell you that the ship is full but the cruise line will typically have a cabin or two available.

Thanks. That's good to know. This will be only my second cruise in 15 years, so finding out my options is helpful.

I want to know what to do if this happens on my upcoming cruise.

Don't get too worked up about that video. Those sorts of plumbing issues are rare. I'm still confused why the people in that cabin are cleaning up the water themselves though...They wouldn't have to do that if they had called maintenance. :confused:

Don't get too worked up about that video. Those sorts of plumbing issues are rare. I'm still confused why the people in that cabin are cleaning up the water themselves though...They wouldn't have to do that if they had called maintenance. :confused:

That puzzles me as well, Luke, because maintenance would be the logical option.

In one video, he said that one of the three floods happened when the cabin steward was in the room, so it's puzzling why the steward didn't help with it.

My wonder is why this wasn't fixed within a few minutes, unless they never called about it. This is a simple fix of replacing either the water inlet valve for the toilet or the timing mechanism for the toilet. The ship will carry hundreds of each part, and there is always a plumber on call. Neither one takes more than 10 minutes to do, I deal with this all the time. The cruise line doesn't want this to go on and on, that's a large waste of water that cost them to load or produce.

But, while there is a floor drain in the bath, the trim of the vessel at any particular time may preclude the water from getting to the drain before going over the threshold. It does look like the drain trough is directly under the toilet here, though.

Thanks. That's good to know. This will be only my second cruise in 15 years, so finding out my options is helpful.

Don't get yourself caught up in the what ifs, you will never enjoy your cruise if you do.

Those videos show a water supply leak, not a sewage leak. While I am sure it was a pain to deal with, especially after it happened a third time, it was still fresh water in a bathroom that has a floor drain.

Don't get yourself caught up in the what ifs, you will never enjoy your cruise if you do.

Those videos show a water supply leak, not a sewage leak. While I am sure it was a pain to deal with, especially after it happened a third time, it was still fresh water in a bathroom that has a floor drain.

When I was growing up in the Philippines, floor drains were standard fixtures in all bathrooms. Always found them to be useful, in case of plumbing. Made overflowing toilets easier to deal with.

When we immigrated to the US, I thought it odd that American homes didn't have the drains, because flooded bathrooms then become a pain to clear up.

All RCCL ships have to have a few (usually six) empty rooms when they set sail. We have forced our way into one of these "not available" rooms on two occasions. I have had several conversations with Hotel Directors about this subject. The emergencies where these rooms are most often used are: Spouses/partners having to be seperated, suicide attempt/threat (moving this pax from a balcony room to an inside), violations of the "code of conduct" where one pax must be put under house arrest with a security door guard. Of course a room may become uninhabitable for several reasons, making it necessary to move a pax to a different room. Most of the spare rooms are insides, although we were moved from an inside to an OV on a sold out Celebrity ship.

Also, sometimes rooms must be left empty if the ship reaches full capacity for the life boats / life rafts before every cabin has been booked. However, this is less likely today because most ships have added additional inflatables. This was done on the Navigator and Freedom to cover the extra cabins they were adding during their recent dry docks.

Edited by Tagsalong

All RCCL ships have to have a few (usually six) empty rooms when they set sail. We have forced our way into one of these "not available" rooms on two occasions. I have had several conversations with Hotel Directors about this subject. The emergencies where these rooms are most often used are: Spouses/partners having to be seperated, suicide attempt/threat (moving this pax from a balcony room to an inside), violations of the "code of conduct" where one pax must be put under house arrest with a security door guard. Of course a room may become uninhabitable for several reasons, making it necessary to move a pax to a different room. Most of the spare rooms are insides, although we were moved from an inside to an OV on a sold out Celebrity ship.

Also, sometimes rooms must be left empty if the ship reaches full capacity for the life boats / life rafts before every cabin has been booked. However, this is less likely today because most ships have added additional inflatables. This was done on the Navigator and Freedom to cover the extra cabins they were adding during their recent dry docks.

I'm going to disagree with your last paragraph. The IMO has not revised SOLAS to allow passengers to use inflatable rafts. There are applications underway for the massive 200+ person "evacuation systems, but I'm not aware that any of these have been approved for passengers yet, or any fitted for passenger use. When a ship adds extra cabins it is because the cruise line can charge more for the first two occupants in a cabin than they can for the 3rd/4th occupants. So if they add cabins, and reduce the number of 3rd/4th occupants they carry, they make more money. I don't believe the ships added to their "maximum capacity" when the cabins were added, just to the "normal capacity" (double occupancy).

While some cabins may be left vacant due to 3rd/4th passenger count, most of the lines will start to restrict the 3rd/4th bookings if it looks like the ship will reach maximum capacity before all cabins are booked. Again, a matter of money.

The cruise line doesn't want this to go on and on, that's a large waste of water that cost them to load or produce.

With 8000 people flushing and washing/showering all day and a kitchen cooking for all of them I doubt the "water waste" of one toilet running would be their priority reason for fixing this...........:rolleyes: More likely to take care of the guest.

Edited by bouhunter

While looking for videos about the Oasis of the Seas, I came across this trio of videos showing a passenger's frustration with cabin plumbing for the third time:

Unfortunately, there's no explanation or followup.

Hopefully, this doesn't happen a lot. But when it does, what recourse does a passenger have on a full ship?

Hello alocsin, thanks for your post. Typically, when these situations happen, there is protocol that is followed. Although this is something not normally anticipated, we do have steps in place to ensure that the situation is resolved. If this does happen to you, please call Guest Relations onboard, and they will do their best to resolve it.

Hello alocsin, thanks for your post. Typically, when these situations happen, there is protocol that is followed. Although this is something not normally anticipated, we do have steps in place to ensure that the situation is resolved. If this does happen to you, please call Guest Relations onboard, and they will do their best to resolve it.

Thanks for reassurance, RCI.

Do you have any idea what happened with the person who posted the video? Why wasn't the issue taken care of by the room steward or maintenance?

Edited by alocsin

With 8000 people flushing and washing/showering all day and a kitchen cooking for all of them I doubt the "water waste" of one toilet running would be their priority reason for fixing this...........:rolleyes: More likely to take care of the guest.
This guy starts to get very, very boring!.......:rolleyes:

This happened to us a few years ago on FOS. We were in corner aft 1700 and came back to get ready for the first formal night (day 3). The cabin was filled with water from the bathroom almost to the balcony door, under the bed and into the closet. Each time the boat rocked the water flowed out of the bathroom.

We called maintenance, they came up right away and turned off the water and replaced a valve. Then they brought in a very powerful wet vac to remove the standing water and laid down towels to walk on.

I knew the cruise was full and also didn't want to lose our wonderful corner aft room, so was worried they would move us to a less desirable room.

The maintenance director told us to prepare for dinner and they would take care of everything while we enjoyed dinner. Well we weren't terribly convinced they could make this alright. Of course this was my husbands first cruise after convincing him to go even with all the cruise mishaps happening that year before we cruised.

After dinner, we went back and checked in on the cabin. Our room steward and maintenance moved everything out to the balcony, then pulled up and replaced the pad and carpeting in the room. they were in the process of finishing things up, so we went and enjoyed the rest of our evening. By 10 pm we went back to the room and even found a towel animal waiting for us.

It was a big deal at the time and we thought it would ruin the cruise, but the quick response was impressive. By the end of the cruise, it was but a small blip we encountered. Even retelling the story of the cruise, most times I forget about that detail.

Just this past May we were in 1700 on FOS again. We joked that we know exactly how old the carpet was. :D

We have found over the years that calling GS for a maintenance issue can bog the process down, sometimes for a long while. The easiest way is to use the button on your cabin phone that goes directly to the maintenance dept. And talk to the people that will handle the problem directly or dial them directly

Edited by setsail

Sooner or later if you cruise enough you will run into a stopped up drain in the bathroom, most of the time its compliments of your neighbors

Happened to us, once. A call to maintenance, and someone quickly came down to repair. He lectured us a bit about what to put down the drain, but I know it was not us- we were unpacking when we had to use it. So it was thanks to the previous passengers.

But the steward cleaned up all the water, and cleaned it up some more.

That's why there's a maintenance button on the phone- faster than calling guest services.