A Luminae sceptic's observations and review , Live

Kevnzworld

Having eaten far too often in the specialty restaurant [until the opening of Luminae], we enjoy the specialty restaurant lunch menus and, so, yes we do you that perk. However, my guess is that, if they do not vary these menus either, we will eventually tire of the lunches.[/quote

Thanks Sue.

Your review was wonderful and had me wanting to be back on the Summit to experience it all over again! The staff also is amazing, besides the food. After eating in Luminae we decided we could not go back to eating in Blu. Agreed that the menu in Blu must change to keep it fresh and appealing.

Thank you again for the quick memory!!!

Just wondering since the service and food are going to be even better than blue what is the the average extra tip given for a two top? I always like to leave a little extra but was not sure of an appropriate tip.

Thank you for the terrific report :). So now I am wondering about Blu. We thought a big problem in Blu was that it could often get too busy/crowded because many suite passengers "demanded" entrance (we have actually heard raised voices when maitre d's trying to turn suite passengers away from Blu). So now that most (if not all) of the suite passengers finally have their own dining venue we hope this will have a positive impact on Blu. Time will tell. And we agree that the duck in Blu has never been a particularly good dish.

Hank

That is possibly/probably because, at least as I understand it, the Pride of America only employs staff from the USA [something to do with the regulations for sailing round trips from Hawaii].

Although we have been fortunate enough to have always had great butlers on Celebrity ship, the one we had on NCL Sun was at least as good as the best Celebrity butler. Their suite concierge was amazing too. Unfortunately, that is as far as it went on NCL.

Although you do not have assigned seats or dining times in Luminae, the hostess will do everything she can to ensure that you have your choice of table. To do this, they prefer to have some indication of when you expect to eat each day but that is not essential if you prefer not to. You are unlikely to have to wait for a table unless you arrive at the same time as someone else [the hostess can only seat one table at a time] or you wish to wait for a particular table.

Thanks. That should work perfectly for us. :)

Winner winner, Game hen dinner!

Here's my latest Lumina update ten days into our Silhouette cruise.

Overall the food and service in Lumina remains better than I expected and much better than Blu or the specialty restaurants.

Two nights ago we had the game hen dinner and the lobster, there are two lobster dishes, the latest featured what appeared to be real cold water lobster, or a whole warm water tail. Either way it was a much better product than the standard Celebrity lobster.

We've enjoyed two game birds since my last update. A Cornish game hen and a Guinea hen. Both roasted perfectly. Some may remember my many posts about my game bird experiences / fiasco's in Blu. I'm of the belief that Blu should just give up since they can't cook game birds consistently or correctly. I've even been served a semi raw bird with freezer burn.

Anyway Luminae does it right and they all tasted great.

A few other observations: Luminae serves Hamachi crudo ( yellowtail sashimi ). To my knowledge this is the only Celebrity restaurant to offer this fish, a wonderful appetizer addition.

The service remains friendly and flawless. I have to admit that we've found the food at least as good as Seabourn , and probably better. I'm pleasantly surprised. Fortunately I haven't cancelled three Celebrity cruises Id booked for 2016. Luminae is reason for me to reconsider.

If you are a " foodie ", if a real modern restaurant experience with good food and service in a civilized atmosphere is important to you, you should try Luminae. We aren't using our last free specialty restaurant voucher.....Luminae is much better than any specialty restaurant and Blu. ( IMO )

Thanks so much for your posts. Why do you feel Luminae is better than Murano...which I found to be very attentive, felxible in its preparations to adapt to my requests etc....for example, if you want crispy skinned duck, juts make a point of requesting that in advance vs waiting for the way they serve it?

Can you bet Murano menu items in Luminae...say you know you want Dover Sole, for example...do you think that could be ordered in advance for dinner in Luninae?

As for the breakfasts, I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why Celebrity ends breakfast at 9 or 9:30 -- really bothers me as I would prefer to eat a nice breakfast being seated around 10am, sea day or port day.

Thanks so much for your posts. Why do you feel Luminae is better than Murano...which I found to be very attentive, felxible in its preparations to adapt to my requests etc....for example, if you want crispy skinned duck, juts make a point of requesting that in advance vs waiting for the way they serve it?

Can you bet Murano menu items in Luminae...say you know you want Dover Sole, for example...do you think that could be ordered in advance for dinner in Luninae?

As for the breakfasts, I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why Celebrity ends breakfast at 9 or 9:30 -- really bothers me as I would prefer to eat a nice breakfast being seated around 10am, sea day or port day.

We also felt that Luminae is better than Murano....MUCH more variety on the menu and the food and service were superior for us too. Service is attentive yet not pretentious. I doubt you can get Murano menu items in Luminae....BUT I could be wrong, they work hard to make you happy so possibly you could.... We didn't even bother with Murano on our 16 night Eclipse cruise.....just weren't interested in leaving Luminae....

The 9am end time for breakfast really bugs me too. I hope they will change this soon.

All the rest sounds wonderful and I can't wait for my cruise in January!

Does anyone know if you can order a cheese course after your entree in Luminae? Would I have to order in advance?

Now you have my interest. As a real foodie (DW is an amazing chef) I want to know how in the world you could have "crispy skinned duck."

Hank

Re : Murano vs Luminae

Murano has a set menu that never changes....Boring. Luminae has a fourteen day menu. Murano's food is a little too heavy old school faux French for me.

I've asked for the duck to have the fat rendered and sliced thin....doesn't really happen.

Luminae breakfast hours : Yes, they're annoying...SAY SOMETHING! The food and beverage manager adjusted the hours on our cruise....there were 8 couples enjoying breakfast at 9:30 one morning...I pointed that out to the Maître de and she scowled at me...( the staff prefers the limited hours ).

Re : Murano vs Luminae

Luminae breakfast hours : Yes, they're annoying...SAY SOMETHING! The food and beverage manager adjusted the hours on our cruise....there were 8 couples enjoying breakfast at 9:30 one morning...I pointed that out to the Maître de and she scowled at me...( the staff prefers the limited hours ).

Will do! I am not afraid to speak up. If breakfast is open til 9am, could we walk in at 9am to sit? So, is it last seating is at 9am or do they kick you out at 9? How I wish I could SLEEP until 9 on my trip and leisurely stroll into breakfast bf 10am...or even 10am! So crazy. Even if they had something continental in the later hours so I could grab a delicious pastry and have some juice and coffee in peace. Here's to hoping!

Will do! I am not afraid to speak up. If breakfast is open til 9am, could we walk in at 9am to sit? So, is it last seating is at 9am or do they kick you out at 9? How I wish I could SLEEP until 9 on my trip and leisurely stroll into breakfast bf 10am...or even 10am! So crazy. Even if they had something continental in the later hours so I could grab a delicious pastry and have some juice and coffee in peace. Here's to hoping!

I haven't been in Luminae, just in Blu, but they did not hurry ppl up...and indeed we saw ppl being seated 15 mins after the cutoff, and staying 45+ mins after the cutoff. Also the breakfast buffet is open w reduced options, but more than a continental breakfast (eggs, bacon, etc.) from 10:00 to 11:30.

I haven't been in Luminae, just in Blu, but they did not hurry ppl up...and indeed we saw ppl being seated 15 mins after the cutoff, and staying 45+ mins after the cutoff. Also the breakfast buffet is open w reduced options, but more than a continental breakfast (eggs, bacon, etc.) from 10:00 to 11:30.

Thanks

Yes, I am familiar with BLU and the Oceanview Buffet. What I was hoping for was a continental type breakfast in Luminae after their full service hours. I hear their pastry is to die for, so I am sure I would be happy with this and some coffee and juice on some days.

Is anything served in Michael's Club in the morning? We are in a Celeb Suite so we could take advantage of that too.

I am aware of the Elite Cont Breakfast.

Thanks!

Thanks

Yes, I am familiar with BLU and the Oceanview Buffet. What I was hoping for was a continental type breakfast in Luminae after their full service hours. I hear their pastry is to die for, so I am sure I would be happy with this and some coffee and juice on some days.

Is anything served in Michael's Club in the morning? We are in a Celeb Suite so we could take advantage of that too.

I am aware of the Elite Cont Breakfast.

Thanks!

Michael's Club has coffee and sometimes a continental breakfast. BUT since you are in a Celebrity Suite(or any suite) you will have a butler and he will deliver what you want to your room at whatever time you are asking....within reason.....certainly asking for coffee and Danish at 10AM is reasonable....

Michael's Club has coffee and sometimes a continental breakfast. BUT since you are in a Celebrity Suite(or any suite) you will have a butler and he will deliver what you want to your room at whatever time you are asking....within reason.....certainly asking for coffee and Danish at 10AM is reasonable....

Right, BUT I don't think it's the Luminae danish which I hear is above and beyond all else on the ship. I will be sure to ask if they can indeed deliver it to our room, fingers crossed!

Here's my update on day six:

The food continues to be good....for the most part. Last night was our least favorite dinner. I had " grilled barramundi ". It didn't have grill flavor or grill marks, which by the way some of the proteins have had, surprisingly. The problem for me was it was bland. Needed a flavor. Lemon buerre blanc, or whatever it was wasn't good. The fava bean pesto was the highlight. My GF's sirloin with gelee and peppercorn sauce had flavor, and was cooked correctly, it was just a poor cut of beef.

We had lunch again today, one of the three limited lunch menus. They get old quickly. We went upstairs to Oceanview afterwards to eat a little something different, maybe a salad. We were confronted with the usual noxious Buffet pandemonium. No where to sit, holding a place while the other person gets food then switching. Your food's cold by the time you sit. Loud people everywhere

Im sorry that us 'loud' people spoilt your non Luminae buffet experience and that we make you noxious by being there. Seems to me you are on the wrong cruise line and that maybe Regent would suit better. Cant believe the snobbery thats appearing on Celebrity posts. We cant afford a suite but have bolstered Xs profits from several cruises but posts like this make me want to look elsewhere. When did X become Cunard?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

Im sorry that us 'loud' people spoilt your non Luminae buffet experience and that we make you noxious by being there. Seems to me you are on the wrong cruise line and that maybe Regent would suit better. Cant believe the snobbery thats appearing on Celebrity posts. We cant afford a suite but have bolstered Xs profits from several cruises but posts like this make me want to look elsewhere. When did X become Cunard?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's preference, not snobbery. Celebrity offers the option to sail in either Aqua Class, or Suite class. They charge a premium for it. Blu and Luminae are the respective restaurants for those categories. They offer a waiter served breakfast dining menu in a civilized, relaxed atmosphere.

If I'm paying to have breakfast at the Ritz Carlton, I don't want to be offered the breakfast at the Residence Inn.

The Oceanview cafe is pandemonium , often crowded and uncivilized.....it's ok when I have to rush for an early excursion , but otherwise for me, not acceptable.

That's my opinion, call it what you like. I will refrain from judging you however...

I have sailed with Celebrity, inside cabin, aqua class, and I have the opportunity to sail sky suite. This is my anniversary, I dont consider myself a snob or anything like that. I will be celebrating my anniversary and I work 2 jobs and I love hearing all about being in an Sky Suite. I receive much information here and I appreciate all the suggestions and comments.

Dorene

It's preference, not snobbery. Celebrity offers the option to sail in either Aqua Class, or Suite class. They charge a premium for it. Blu and Luminae are the respective restaurants for those categories. They offer a waiter served breakfast dining menu in a civilized, relaxed atmosphere.

If I'm paying to have breakfast at the Ritz Carlton, I don't want to be offered the breakfast at the Residence Inn.

The Oceanview cafe is pandemonium , often crowded and uncivilized.....it's ok when I have to rush for an early excursion , but otherwise for me, not acceptable.

That's my opinion, call it what you like. I will refrain from judging you however...

Well said.....and with class , without slinging mud.

THANK YOU