Grand Princess 7/11-7/18 Review

PharmacyRx

This was our 4th cruise to Alaska and we stayed overnight in Anchorage at the Hotel Captain Cook as part of the Princess hotel / transfer package. The hotel was clean and the rooms were comfortable. We ate at one of the hotel's restaurants " Whales Tail" and had nice fried halibut and salads. The next morning we had planned to have breakfast at the Snow City Cafe but the wait was 1.5 hours so we stepped next door to a diner called the " Sandwich Club" and had fabulous French toast and reindeer sausage. Anchorage is an easy town to walk about and we did so prior to our 11:00 transfer to the ship.

Embarkation was a quick thru the Preferred Boarding line and took all of 15 minutes to board.

Our cabin was E 728,mini suite , port side w/ extended balcony. Now, let me say the Grand is still a grand ship. She is showing her age ( aren't we all) and if you really search for faults you will find them. The only two glaring things I saw was the couch in the mini suite looked to be circa 2000. The upholstery was frayed and stained and she sagged like a old mare. My DH who never notices anything commented on the couch first thing. Second, the balcony furniture was a mishmash collection of where old Princess deck chairs must go to die. But they got the job done as we used the balcony day and night spotting whales and other wildlife. I saw no leaks or buckets.

We don't partake in the entertainment on the ships as we are " wildlife spotting nerds" and stay on our deck with binoculars and spotting scopes. Which I might add paid off with seeing many pods of orcas, humpback and brown whales, bears along the shore and other marine animals / birds.

Food- we chose traditional dining ( late seating ) and the food in the Botticelli dining room as well as the service was impressive. Usual fare from the Horizon Court, Alfredo's and the pizzeria and burger grill.

The staff on the ship were very friendly and accommodating and I have no complaints about the service.

So, my opinion of the Grand is, well, she is still Grand and I would sail on her again.

One thing I wish Princess would consider ... Allow passengers to either opt out of all the literature or choose what literature you would like to be delivered to your room. We don't use the spa yet daily had 2-3 flyers about spa services. I realize they do this to make $$$ yet the $$$ the company could save by allowing me to choose I would have to think would be beneficial. Not to mention all the trees that would be spared.

All that being said, if you are planning to sail on the Grand, in my opinion, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Emeybee, Embarkation night we dined at the Crown Grill ( Saturday) and Sunday night was formal night and we skipped dinner that night. On Monday night the menu had razor clams, grilled halibut and king crab , on Tuesday night it was Italian night, Wednesday night was formal night with lobster, Thursday night was scallops and Friday night was their American menu; meatloaf, New York strip, fried chicken and the Baked Alaska parade. Hope that helps!

One thing I wish Princess would consider ... Allow passengers to either opt out of all the literature or choose what literature you would like to be delivered to your room. We don't use the spa yet daily had 2-3 flyers about spa services. I realize they do this to make $$$ yet the $$$ the company could save by allowing me to choose I would have to think would be beneficial. Not to mention all the trees that would be spared.

As good an idea as that might be, the manpower involved in only delivering the ads to cabins that want them is intensive.

Emeybee, Embarkation night we dined at the Crown Grill ( Saturday) and Sunday night was formal night and we skipped dinner that night. On Monday night the menu had razor clams, grilled halibut and king crab , on Tuesday night it was Italian night, Wednesday night was formal night with lobster, Thursday night was scallops and Friday night was their American menu; meatloaf, New York strip, fried chicken and the Baked Alaska parade. Hope that helps!

Thank you so much!

Our cabin was E 728,mini suite , port side w/ extended balcony. Now, let me say the Grand is still a grand ship. She is showing her age ( aren't we all) and if you really search for faults you will find them. The only two glaring things I saw was the couch in the mini suite looked to be circa 2000. The upholstery was frayed and stained and she sagged like a old mare. My DH who never notices anything commented on the couch first thing. Second, the balcony furniture was a mishmash collection of where old Princess deck chairs must go to die. But they got the job done as we used the balcony day and night spotting whales and other wildlife. I saw no leaks or buckets.

Thanks for the review. We are on E729 (starboard side) on the Grand in December. Did you happen to notice if there is a camera on the balcony? I saw some youtube videos from the Golden E729/E728 where there is a security camera on the balcony pointing aft. Just wondered if this is the case on the Grand.

There is indeed some type of gadget mounted under the overhang yet both openings are pointed away from the balcony. If it is a camera is focuses along the length of the ship ( forward and aft) and is not turned in toward the balcony. Or at least this one wasn't.

Edited by PharmacyRx

There is indeed some type of gadget mounted under the overhang yet both openings are pointed away from the balcony. If it is a camera is focuses along the length of the ship ( forward and aft) and is not turned in toward the balcony. Or at least this one wasn't.

Yep, those cameras seem to be on all of the Princess ships these days. Not sure about how wide the capture angle is. We just don't do anything untoward out on the balcony.....:cool:

Do you recall what hours the Crown Grill was open on embarkation night? I've heard conflicting reports with the later evening sail away.

Our reservation at the Crown Grill for embarkation night ( southbound) was at 9:30. Which was 5:30 on our " home" time. We did see them seat others a few minutes after we arrived.

As for the cameras, I am certain we made for " boring " TV! LOL!

Hello, P Rx. If you're still monitoring this, can you tell me whether you had a problem with nighttime noise from the club below you?

We may have a chance to move over from a starboard mini (where noise is not an issue because of stage placement) to this cabin. I'm not keen on the saggy sofa or the mismatched outdoor furniture, but I've always wanted to try one of the extended balconies. Just don't want to give up our peace and quiet in the bargain.

Jim

We usually book these extended mini suite balcony rooms or aft suites and on other ships,

like ( Coral, Emerald, Ruby, etc) and never heard much noise.

However, and perhaps due this being an older ship than the others, we heard every beat, twang and note of the music. The upside was the music was over by 10:00 or 10:30 at the latest. My DH who is hard of hearing could hear the music.

I was surprised by the amount of noise from the Vista Lounge and the mechanical goings on of the ship but it would not a deal breaker for me to book this mini again. There are far too many advantages to this cabin.

We were 2 cabins in front of PharmacyRX on this cruise, in 724, and I agree - we've been in the same cabin on Coral/Island and all of the Crown series and we were surprised how much more sound from the Vista came up on Grand, especially the one night they showed a movie. I think you'll get as much noise starboard side as you would port; the stage on Grand is dead center aft of the Vista. But like the OP, nothing ran really late and we didn't mind the vibration from the props, so it wasn't a deal breaker for us, either. We were very satisfied with the cruise.

Cheers,

Kirsten

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank you for this review. My family and I are planning on cruising the Grand this November. It is nice to hear good things about the ship, which puts my nerves at ease.

I was wondering if you might help me with another question.

How many children would you guess were on board? We are traveling with a 6 year old girl and hear they close the kids club at times based on numbers.

Thank you,

Amy

How many children would you guess were on board? We are traveling with a 6 year old girl and hear they close the kids club at times based on numbers.

You can call Princess and they will tell you how many children are currently booked for the cruise you are on.

The kids clubs should be open no matter how few kids there are onboard unless there are zero kids.

You are most welcome for the review. We enjoyed the Grand very much. We sailed on the Royal this February and, in my opinion, the Grand far surpassed that experience in terms of the food ( subjective, I know ) and the overall friendliness and attentiveness of the staff.

We saw several kids on this ship of all ages but as to whether the Kids Club was utilized , I cannot speak. Embarkation day we saw several kids and parents in the Kids Club but we didn't venture back up there.

Quit worrying! You will enjoy the ship! She is a beauty, in her prime, and still elegant.

I want to thank you for this review. My family and I are planning on cruising the Grand this November. It is nice to hear good things about the ship, which puts my nerves at ease.

I was wondering if you might help me with another question.

Thank you,

Amy

The kids program should be running.

I agree, call Princess they can tell you kids numbers on your cruise.

We were on this sailing also. We saw a large group of kids with staff members at the movie one afternoon, so the kids club was up and running - we didn't see tons of kids on board, but they all seemed to be having a great time!

• 2 weeks later...