Status Match program

Licisca

I don't know if it'll matter to you, but, IIRC, you won't be able to accumulate points towards your MSC Voyagers Club when on a status match trip. If you're going to be in YC, why would you want to status match and lose out on loyalty points?

If Black is the highest...why would I need any more loyalty points ?

For when they introduce a higher tier because they have too many Black card holders.

They did this in late 2010; ~5 years after the club was introduced in early 2006.. by making the Black level

I've been a member since it's inception and just got to Gold when they introduced Black.

18 months ago I got to Black and now they have downgraded it and offer it on a silver platter to any old TOM, DICK or HARRY, even people who have never set foot on a cruise ship.

NOT that i'm really annoyed or anything, just totally pee'd off about it. They are pandering to the US market and forgetting all their loyal European guests.

Still I had 2 cruises with 20% discount and have 3 more discounted (20%) cruises booked.

There has been talk of a new "platinum" level.

i would expect them to run the loyalty match programe for 12 - 18 months, enough time to entice "experienced" cruisers from other lines to give them a go.

Then when the new ships are introduced to the USA, revamp the loyalty program and add a higher tier then, to give all the NEW Black card holders something to collect points for.

RCi did it as did P&O, They're the ones i have personal experience of i'm sure others have done likewise.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

You're at Classic - you can only do a status match on one cruise and that would give you similar perks to what you'll already be getting in YC with no points allocated to your Voyagers Club account. What benefits would you be getting with Black status on one cruise that would be worth that? You now get double points for YC which you won't get should you status match! Unless, of course, you're not interested in progressing any further on the loyalty levels?

I just received the email with my new black card membership, took a little bit more than two weeks after i applied.

OK ............... I've been curious about this from the time this thread began and I really can't put off any longer asking this. What is so attractive about the benefits being offered which has caused this surge in interest - as a Black card holder, I'm just not getting it :confused: Had this been offered before the downgrading of perks, sure; I'd understand. But, with what's on offer now :confused::confused:

For me it's not so much about the membership discounts - since we are both under 29 years old we take advantage of the "young and young discount" which gives us 20 % off when booking.

What attracts me with the black card is actually the perks we will hopefully receive at embarkation and disembarkation. The times we have cruised with MSC in Europe we have always been upset with the complete chaos during embarkation, it's completely disorganized and has taken a very long time to get onboard the ship. Embarkation with Celebrity or RCCL is always a dream in comparision. Same thing goes for disembarkation, very disorganised and we don't like the fact that we have had to leave our cabin as early as 7.30, no matter when ship is due to arrive in port. The black card status gives us priority embarkation, as well as the late disembarkation which means the opportunity to stay in our cabin until two hours after the ship arrives in port.

I just received the email with my new black card membership, took a little bit more than two weeks after i applied.

For me it's not so much about the membership discounts - since we are both under 29 years old we take advantage of the "young and young discount" which gives us 20 % off when booking.

What attracts me with the black card is actually the perks we will hopefully receive at embarkation and disembarkation. The times we have cruised with MSC in Europe we have always been upset with the complete chaos during embarkation, it's completely disorganized and has taken a very long time to get onboard the ship. Embarkation with Celebrity or RCCL is always a dream in comparision. Same thing goes for disembarkation, very disorganised and we don't like the fact that we have had to leave our cabin as early as 7.30, no matter when ship is due to arrive in port. The black card status gives us priority embarkation, as well as the late disembarkation which means the opportunity to stay in our cabin until two hours after the ship arrives in port.

Thanks for your response!

I can see how priority boarding would be a nice perk which can't be bought, otherwise, unless in the higher-end cabins, of course! The late disembarkation is also a new offering so very few have experienced it yet. Another handy benefit.

It will be interesting to see comments from those who do the status match - hopefully they'll come back and let us know their thoughts.

You're at Classic - you can only do a status match on one cruise and that would give you similar perks to what you'll already be getting in YC with no points allocated to your Voyagers Club account. What benefits would you be getting with Black status on one cruise that would be worth that? You now get double points for YC which you won't get should you status match! Unless, of course, you're not interested in progressing any further on the loyalty levels?

Just spoke to voyager people....seems the cruise we already have held for next March is one of their 'special' cruises with the Black card giving us 15% off plus $50. OBC each :O)

Just spoke to voyager people....seems the cruise we already have held for next March is one of their 'special' cruises with the Black card giving us 15% off plus $50. OBC each :O)

Oh ................ that's terrific!!!!!! :cool:

Are you sure that it's permanent status? I read on here that it's for a one-off status match cruise only :confused:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2232615&page=7 Post #121

Also, if it's true that points aren't allocated on status match trips, I wonder how first-timers trying out MSC will feel if their first MSC cruise doesn't qualify for points (assuming they enjoy it enough to want to cruise again with MSC :rolleyes:)?

Edited by Beamafar

I would fall under the category of first timer Bea, they emailed me a status match yesterday, now the question is do I use it, or just get their on my own and actually earn points for the next one, it's a tough call

It's a tough call, alright - I'm not sure what I'd do if faced with the choice! Though I think I'd lean toward getting the status match benefits instead of waiting 'til I'd built up the points required to get to that level! Then, if you don't do another MSC cruise you'll at least have enjoyed the top tier benefits ;)

Are you sure that it's permanent status? I read on here that it's for a one-off status match cruise only :confused:

Also, if it's true that points aren't allocated on status match trips, I wonder how first-timers trying out MSC will feel if their first MSC cruise doesn't qualify for points (assuming they enjoy it enough to want to cruise again with MSC :rolleyes:)?

I keep reading about this on the boards, but extensive searching of the MSC web sites yields no info to state that you don't get any points on your first loyalty match cruise. So I assume they do get points and they must be given teh lowest score on their firts cruise under loyslty match. By which I mean anyone given Black is automatically given 10,000 as a starting point

The only relevant info I can find is that you can only loyalty match once.

So people who are stating they can keep returning to MSC and ignore the three year rule are in for a nasty shock .

I'd welcome a cut and paste or a link to a page that gives the info which I could post.

Matching is carried out by comparing as much as reasonably possible the level of benefits guaranteed from the external travel program benefit card with those offered by the MSC Voyagers Club cards (Conversion will be executed by MSC Cruises based on MSC Cruises criteria and may only be done once per consumer).

Pete

Can you please explain this discount?

maybe it's a regional offering just like the Australia and NZ "senior club" 20% discount

Bellaem doesn't say where they are from

Aus & NZ senior club

austaia.jpg

Pete

Edited by Skier52

My comment wasn't to say that it is only temporary and usable for one cruise. The condition is they will only match once. But I'd still expect you to keep your status as with anyone at that level.

Just that, say you get matched to Gold, and then go up another level in another program, or realise you had a different higher level program. If you tried to match again, as per the terms they could reject that. Similarly, if you matched now, and they still had the program running in a few years' time, but your membership expired due to new terms, they may also reject the match if you tried again.

I keep reading about this on the boards, but extensive searching of the MSC web sites yields no info to state that you don't get any points on your first loyalty match cruise. So I assume they do get points and they must be given teh lowest score on their firts cruise under loyslty match. By which I mean anyone given Black is automatically given 10,000 as a starting point

Agreed, about the earning. I haven't seen anything that does not count it, and would expect it would accrue as per normal.

However, I'm not certain they will actually credit you that many points. They may, but they may also just grant your status level, but you still start from 0 points. You just get the higher 'benefits' for longer, while you work your way up.

I keep reading about this on the boards..................

Pete

Therein lies the problem, Pete. There's so little official information about this!! I'm so glad I got to Black before all of these changes. If I were still at Gold I'd be a very unhappy person - it would be galling to me to be queueing to board while others who've never sailed with MSC before were getting priority boarding. Whatever the other perks at Black, they don't directly affect anybody else in the way priority boarding does.

I think the allocation of points would work similar to how RCCL operates - eg if you're at a certain level in Captain's Club with Celebrity you can match that status on an RC cruise but you'll only be awarded points to your Royal Caribbean's loyalty club membership - and vice versa. So depending on which you're higher in, you can use that to get the better benefits on the other line. In the case of someone trying MSC they'll start out at 0 even if they're matched at Black. They'll receive the perks only. They'll then be deemed as Classic after the cruise. I wonder how that's going to work for those who've already sailed MSC but are doing a status match? Also, I'm back to being puzzled about those status match being able to remain at that level if it's not only for a once-off cruise - does the status match expire after 3 years, too?

One thing these changes has done is to show up the "Loyalty" scheme for what it is! Cruiselines care not a jot for your loyalty to the brand in their quest for attracting new business. Reward programmes are supposed to entice people to stay with the brand - these changes have done the opposite for me!

Best of luck to those who are seeking match status. If this gimmick entices you to try out MSC, then it's been a brilliant marketing ploy!

Edited by Beamafar

When staying in the YC, do you get priority boarding? I'm assuming so since it is a suite. What perks are offered at Black level that you wouldn't get in the YC?

Most perks are offered in the YC depending on your level you may not get your chocolate boat

Most perks are offered in the YC depending on your level you may not get your chocolate boat

the cruise we have on hold for next March...in the YC... just happens to be on one of their special dates.

They said whenever our 'match' goes through to call them back & our fare will be adjusted to show the 15% off plus an extra $50. obc eah :O)

When staying in the YC, do you get priority boarding? I'm assuming so since it is a suite. What perks are offered at Black level that you wouldn't get in the YC?

The YC has it's own dedicated embarkation/disembarkation area.

You can tell where it is as the have a small tent with te YC logo on it and tailcoated bulters to greet you and assist you through 5the check-in process.

Here are the tables of the perks for YC and Black card for you to do the comparison

YACHT CLUB

experiences%203.jpg

EXPERIENCES%204.jpg

VOYAGERS CLUB

voyager%205.jpg

voyager%206.jpg#

voyager%207.jpg

Pete

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Well, after getting an email from a MSC agent, I emailed her to find out what my Matching Voyergers Club status was. She contacted someone with the program and I got an email from them saying I was Black status and with a new number. Now trying to get them to respond to hubby's application.

Also, tried to log in on the website to check select cruises, it will not let me log in under the existing account!! Oh, well, will keep trying as I am blaming their website. I wanted to see if my booked cruise in Jan. 2016 is listed as one of the select cruises under the new program. If so, wonder if they will apply the additional % discount of the price of the cruise. Anyone have experience with this situation?

Well, after getting an email from a MSC agent, I emailed her to find out what my Matching Voyergers Club status was. She contacted someone with the program and I got an email from them saying I was Black status and with a new number. Now trying to get them to respond to hubby's application.

Also, tried to log in on the website to check select cruises, it will not let me log in under the existing account!! Oh, well, will keep trying as I am blaming their website. I wanted to see if my booked cruise in Jan. 2016 is listed as one of the select cruises under the new program. If so, wonder if they will apply the additional % discount of the price of the cruise. Anyone have experience with this situation?

...eventhough there is a supposed link to them.

I called the main MSC number & the reservation guy knew exactly what I was talking about. He checked his list & said that my March 2016 date was one of the 'good'ones :O)