Fire on Freedom?

Sailing on Aug 16 with a party of 15. This will be interesting. Glad to see most everyone is safe, save for the minor burn on one employee.

we're on the 16th cruise as well>>>There are some cabins on the Indy leaving on the 16th, I have one on hold............

I see you have the 9/25 Enchantment sailing in your signature. Is that your next sailing?

If so - we just booked that within the last couple of weeks. :)

Tom

Yep, barring any last minute deals, that is my next booked cruise. We'll finally get to meet up!

I still owe you a drink from the heads-up on the aft wrap on the Spirit all those years ago. ;)

On a related note, I wonder what sort of fire suppression system they use. Straight water, foam, mist, CO2 or some other form of gas.

That would depend on where the fire is, and how severe it was. CO2 is always used onboard commercial ships in their engine spaces, as halon is way too expensive, and also ozone depleting. On cruise ships, and on many cargo ships, CO2 will be a last resort, since it will stop all running engines, and black the ship out. Cruise ships use a mist system (Hi-Fog, or similar) as their primary engine space fire suppression. These water mist systems are designed so that they will not affect powered electrical equipment or running machinery, and will allow fire teams to enter even without breathing apparatus.

Now, whether it was in an engine space, or a "mechanical" space as RCI states in their tweet, I can't say, and most spaces outside the engine rooms proper rely on sprinklers like the passenger cabins.

Water and foam would be used by the fire teams upon entering the involved space.

Some are reporting that the fire was in the engine room but images from a Falmouth News site show flames emerging from the area where the smoke stack meets the top of deck 15.

freedom-of-the-seas-fire-falmouth-2.jpg

That is definitely flames up there, I just saw a photo on ABC World News taken from on the ship and there was a bunch of flames in that area. Glad they were able to control it.

Yep, barring any last minute deals, that is my next booked cruise. We'll finally get to meet up!

I still owe you a drink from the heads-up on the aft wrap on the Spirit all those years ago. ;)

Nice !

Well, we're already past the final payment date - so it's looking very likely ! Drop into the roll call, though it's not very busy.

I took some of the funds from my Freedom OTS cancellation and booked the Enchantment.

Well.. I can't recall, but if you say you owe me a drink, I won't argue! :D

Tom

Oh, to be young and still have a functional memory! ;) :eek: :D

I'm happy to hear that was the extent of the injuries and not something far worse. My beloved Star Princess suffered a lot worse in the mid-2000s when she experienced a balcony fire which caught several cabins on fire. She also limped into Jamaica after the whole incident and debarked her passengers there. I saw this headline flash by on Twitter and couldn't believe it was happening in Jamaica again. I'm very glad all are ok and wish the crew member a speedy recovery.

April, 2006:

PICT0008.grid-6x2.jpg

Another senario for the 3 missing people at muster. could have been what happened to me when we were on our cruise.

We went to muster drill in the dining room, had our cards scanned and went about our evening only to return to our room, with a memo on our bed that seeing we had chosen not to attend the muster drill, we would be required to report to one of the lounges to go through the muster drill at 8am the following morning.

We went to guest services and explained that in fact we had been there, luckily we remembered the name of the woman who had scanned us in (I love to read the name tags to see where people are from) and reiterated some of what the Captain had said at the close of the muster drill and they said okay, we were not the only ones, the scanner had not captured everyone and they were sorry for the inconvenience.

How is everyone posting from onboard? Is there a way around the cruise wifi? Suppose to leave Sunday on freedom!

There is WiFi all over the ship. Cost starts at $20 per day.

We are supposed to sail on Sunday....is anyone on the ship now still posting? What is the damage to the public areas, if any? Can anyone on the ship confirm that all will be ok for the future sailing? Thank you!

Was on this wonderful ship on the May 17 sailing. The captain seemed to run a tight ship and I guess it shows from the handling of this event. Every cruise we spend time in a particular bar based on the staff. On our sailing in May we spent most of our nights at Olive or Twist in the Viking Crown with Hasan and J.R. I sent Hasan a message on Facebook to see how the VK is but haven't heard back yet. I'm sure they are busy as someone posted about smoke in the VK. If anyone on board has any info, I would love to hear!

Glad everyone, both passengers and crew are OK. It's fortunate that this happened as they were just pulling into port.

As far the missing passengers are concerned regarding the muster check in, that's why it's so important that everyone attend the muster drill when you first board, no matter how many cruises one's been on. I know that it's impossible with the mega ships nowadays, but the tightest muster drill we've done was our one and only cruise on NCL. At your muster station, roll call was taken. Heaven help you if you didn't answer or you joked around when your name was called. The officer doing the roll call guilted you and made you feel real small. It's a far cry from the drills nowadays.

Not sure why you think the mega ships have problems with muster drills. All the Oasis, Quantum and Freedom class ships scan room keys as you enter Muster Stations to identify who is attending. Cabin attendants check all cabins to make sure everyone is out of their rooms. Public areas are checked and passengers are directed to their muster stations. I have heard that a fallow up is made with any passengers that failed to attend.

The captain has given everyone wifi access but don't know for how long. Granted I am upset as I paid for wifi as many others. I will be talking to them about receiving a credit for this time. Also since everyone has wifi it is super super slow. A lot of sites won't load. Royal Caribbean did give everyone $200 obc per cabin for the fire.

The fire started down in the engine room and traveled up the exhaust system to deck 15. The fire was being fought in 2 spots. Deck 14 and 15 are closed due to water damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Leslie401972

The captain has given everyone wifi access but don't know for how long. Granted I am upset as I paid for wifi as many others. I will be talking to them about receiving a credit for this time. Also since everyone has wifi it is super super slow. A lot of sites won't load. Royal Caribbean did give everyone $200 obc per cabin for the fire.

You already stated that you are being given a $200 OBC per cabin, for the fire, which delayed you for.........what? Time at your muster station (great initial precaution on the captains part, then a bit of time inside, but not allowed back to your cabin till the crew could step down from containing an actual fire. It's great to know that all of training that goes on, almost daily for the crew, paid off today.

Sounds to me like several thing happened here. The ship had a problem, you were inconvenienced for a short period of time, and Royal Caribbean decided that every cabin receive an OBC.

I hope that everything is good for the rest of the cruise, and you don't arrive home upset.:);)

Rick