Rude Passengers

sarasfw

If they both come across as bing rude, perhaps they are both rude.

But I concede sometimes on a forum such as this things can be taken the wrong way.

I doubt if the persons complained of in these posts think, "Boy I was rude and they are not".

Edited by Wehwalt

People, here in California anyway, are definitely not as polite as when I was young. Some of it may be immigration from parts of the world where customs are different from ours, but I find there are plenty of US-born who are impolite as well.

I know someone who feels good manners and etiquette "are obsolete", and his kids act as though they were raised by wolves--no offense to wolves :(. When I see someone with well-mannered children I make a point to compliment them!

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

People, here in California anyway, are definitely not as polite as when I was young. Some of it may be immigration from parts of the world where customs are different from ours, but I find there are plenty of US-born who are impolite as well.

I know someone who feels good manners and etiquette "are obsolete", and his kids act as though they were raised by wolves--no offense to wolves :(. When I see someone with well-mannered children I make a point to compliment them!

I think it comes down to what DW and I call the "me mentality".

When someone thinks they are the most important person in the world why would they care about manners.

I will admit that sometimes having watched a rude insulting person treat a member of staff on a cruise badly I go to the staff member afterwards and apologise on behalf of the ignorant person At least then they know that not everyone thinks them lesser beings. I cannot understand why please and thank you have disappeared from some people's vocabulary

The main reason for this rant is when we went to the burger stand on deck and there was this obnoxious man in front who was making demands to the young girl working there, no please, no thank you. We ignored it but my husband and I just looked at eachother with that knowing look. The girl then put two burgers and chips in front of him and then gave my husband and I our cheese burgers and chips. He then started moaning and complaining that he wanted cheese and then just reached over to our food and took it!!!! My husband was fuming but held in his temper thankfully for the man! He didnt say please or thank you once and his tone was condescending. The next incident happened at dinner. We were sat next to this couple and not once did they look the waiter in the eye when ordering food, again, no please or thank you. Then when the waiter asked the man if he wanted pepper, he just said no and waved his hand. To be honest, they were the minority as the majority we encountered were lovely people, very pleasant. I can identify with the lift scenario, witnessed that behaviour a few times. I just have no time for people who think they are better than anyone else for whatever reason.

I will admit that sometimes having watched a rude insulting person treat a member of staff on a cruise badly I go to the staff member afterwards and apologise on behalf of the ignorant person At least then they know that not everyone thinks them lesser beings. I cannot understand why please and thank you have disappeared from some people's vocabulary

I've done the same when I witness an injustice to someone who is trying to do a good job.

The main reason for this rant is when we went to the burger stand on deck and there was this obnoxious man in front who was making demands to the young girl working there, no please, no thank you. We ignored it but my husband and I just looked at eachother with that knowing look. The girl then put two burgers and chips in front of him and then gave my husband and I our cheese burgers and chips. He then started moaning and complaining that he wanted cheese and then just reached over to our food and took it!!!! My husband was fuming but held in his temper thankfully for the man! He didnt say please or thank you once and his tone was condescending. The next incident happened at dinner. We were sat next to this couple and not once did they look the waiter in the eye when ordering food, again, no please or thank you. Then when the waiter asked the man if he wanted pepper, he just said no and waved his hand. To be honest, they were the minority as the majority we encountered were lovely people, very pleasant. I can identify with the lift scenario, witnessed that behaviour a few times. I just have no time for people who think they are better than anyone else for whatever reason.

Did you have a fork in your hand? Or would that be considered assault with an eating utensil?

I count myself luck to have grown up in Hawaii when the ALOHA spirit was prevalent everywhere. It slowly waned, but I do see an effort to bring it back again. I believe Karma is alive and well. I intend to stay on "her" positive side.

As someone that has dealt with the general public for over 50 years, I can say that the 95 - 5 rule always seems to apply.

95% of the people are great The other 5% cause 95% of your grief.

The key is to never let the 5% spoil it for the other 95%.

Dixon

Gotta Agree!

As someone that has dealt with the general public for over 50 years, I can say that the 95 - 5 rule always seems to apply.

95% of the people are great The other 5% cause 95% of your grief.

The key is to never let the 5% spoil it for the other 95%.

Dixon

Gotta Agree!

Except I reckon it's more like 99:1

To me saying please and thank you actualy makes my cruise experience better. Being positive makes things positive and keeps me in a good mood.

On the other hand I have always told my kids "there will never be a shortage of ass h***s"

In the past bad manners for for the young, now it seems it is for all ages.:(

I try and be polite at all times so I can at the very least I can feel good about myself and making others happy.:D

When I was younger I worked as an Automobile Mechanic. Boy, if there ever was a profession that brought out the worst in people, that was it. No one was happy spending money on their car, especially if it had broken down. I worked very hard to do the best possible repair, charging a fair price. It was rare to hear a compliment but complaints were an everyday occurrence, not necessarily from anything we did, but because they were simply angry about spending the money and being inconvenienced by their car not working properly or even just needing maintenance.

At the end of the day, what I had was the personal satisfaction of knowing I had done my best.

DIxon

Edited by Matcodixon

For some reason the elevators seem to bring out the worse behavior in people.

I have a theory - those of us who use mass transit systems to commute to work each day, are more aware of the 'let the people out of the tin box first' principle. It is an automatic reaction for me, being a London Tube commuter. We seem able to cope with crowds better.

I don't know if you noticed this as much as I have but Princess cruises has the worst reputation for its elevator service. There may be a bank of elevators on any given floor but only 1 or 2 of them are actually working. I have waited up to 10 minutes or more for an elevator onboard a Princess ship. My DH was in a wheelchair and the stairs were never a choice.

I finally learned that whether you're going up or down take the elevator that comes because eventually it will be going in your direction. ;)

I took my children and grandchildren on the Carnival Miracle last month because I knew they would find nothing to do onboard a Princess ship and every elevator on every floor was working ALL THE TIME! It was such a relief to have such good service.

I warned the kids before we got onboard to be patient because cruise ship elevators can be very frustrating......Not this time.....I give Carnival big kudo's on this one.

Some people have very little patience if they're not served immediately and that includes elevator service. :(

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I have a more global thought that might "help" our country become a thoughtful, kind and respectful place.

In Japan, the schools do not have janitors. The students all participate in the care and upkeep of the school. The belief is that students are more respectful, responsible and the feeling of equality is evident. Further they are taught to hold doors, offer assistance and be polite.

I think this system is perfect for a melting pot society like ours. Since parents are afraid to parent anymore, the schools can benefit by helping take up the basic training required to be responsible, respectful and cooperative. Better than the direction we are headed.

Edited by MTJSR

I have a theory - those of us who use mass transit systems to commute to work each day, are more aware of the 'let the people out of the tin box first' principle. It is an automatic reaction for me, being a London Tube commuter. We seem able to cope with crowds better.

And if you work/worked in an office building with elevators the protocol becomes ingrained.

Hello Roz

Nice to see you posting, enjoying your up and coming cruises,

and give the the four legged one a hug from me

yours Shogun

Thanks Shogun, I'm very busy on my Cruise Critic blog on Specialty Cruising - Disabled Cruising - Cruising with A Service Dog-Everything You Ever Wanted To Know.

I kiss my fur-boy everyday, he's an amazing and wonderful dog. He'll be on his 7th cruise in December. My first dog Brenda had finished 15 cruises before she passed last year. I miss her everyday! I hope that yours are doing well.

Take care and happy sailing to you!

Thanks Shogun, I'm very busy on my Cruise Critic blog on Specialty Cruising - Disabled Cruising - Cruising with A Service Dog-Everything You Ever Wanted To Know.

I kiss my fur-boy everyday, he's an amazing and wonderful dog. He'll be on his 7th cruise in December. My first dog Brenda had finished 15 cruises before she passed last year. I miss her everyday! I hope that yours are doing well.

Take care and happy sailing to you!

Horton is a cutie. Good luck on the blog. There are people here who really could use an education about service dogs on ships! ;)

Horton is a cutie. Good luck on the blog. There are people here who really could use an education about service dogs on ships! ;)

Go to the message Board - Special Interest Cruising - Disabled Cruising.

Cruising with a Service Dog.......That's me!

There are lots and lots of wonderful folks onboard who are cruising with their Service Dogs. We learn a lot from each other.

There are some folks from as far away as Scotland who have become Puppy Raisers because of reading the blog and becoming encouraged to "pay-it-forward!" There are people from all over the U.S. telling us their Service and pet dog stories.

It's a miracle how so many people have come onto the thread to tell us all their successes with gaining entrance, with their Service Dog, to places that they would have NEVER ventured into before.

To read about folks who are now going to go cruising with their Seeing Eye Dog, when before they NEVER would have done it, is a wonderful and amazing miracle to read about.

Perhaps so, but then #2 on the list would those who belly up to the counter and say "Gimme a Coke", never saying "please", never saying "thank you" or "may I have" I wonder what their home life is like and I'm thankful I no longer have to work with their kind.

Perhaps so, but then #2 on the list would those who belly up to the counter and say "Gimme a Coke", never saying "please", never saying "thank you" or "may I have" I wonder what their home life is like and I'm thankful I no longer have to work with their kind.

Thankfully, there's more good, thoughtful and caring folks than there are the other's!

And, we all serve as mirrors to each other.......what we give, we get back!