HAL no longer requires formal dress

Jade13

I guess I missed the latest change in dress code. When did it change to smart casual every night? This is the change I was looking for. I guess they didn't update their policy because it still is showing gala nights where Hal says dressy attire is appropriate.
And you and I both know very well that the hints to dress up will be increasingly ignored, and that the actual standard of dress will in fact quickly become smart casual.

And you and I both know very well that the hints to dress up will be increasingly ignored, and that the actual standard of dress will in fact quickly become smart casual.

I think you're right. I just hope the standards will hold at smart casual and not sink to cutoffs and gym clothes.

This thread should be closed IMO. The dress code is clear, Gala nights require a collared shirt and long pants, period. HAL "recommends" you dress with a coat and tie but doesn't require it any longer.

There is no debate about this policy that's spelled out in writing and this thread has just dissolved into personal attacks and rehashing the same stuff. People will agree or disagree but the fact is both sides can dress how they desire without breaking any guidelines.

Edited by sppunk

Smart casual, casual is where the market is going. Pretend dress up is where the market was.

HAL is slowly moving to where the market is going. Apart from attire suggestions, the focus and effort that HAL puts into these evenings is a good indication of where they are going with them. Demographics and attitudes change with time. My parents may have enjoyed formal night but we see less value and less enjoyment from them. Hence we do not even consider them when selecting a ship/cruise line. It has become completely immaterial to us.....and it appears to many others as well.

Yes, it hints at it. Hal needs to step up to the plate and make it official. Why sit on the fence?

True. Agree with the previous postings. Have to ask though, why have a policy or even a suggestion if no one follows it? Lots of running shoes and jeans (not "designer" jeans) in the MDR, even on "gala" night, on our recent cruise. So, where's the "bottom" if you will? No pun intended. Seems that even suggesting some kind of "smart casual" won't fly. I know you can't please all the people all of the time, so maybe HAL is in fact right to try and suggest something, even though not everyone will adopt the suggestion.

But we were talking about Transatlantic cruises, and the "vibe" is that of very seasoned cruisers.

My experience with the Transatlantics is limited. We've only done three of them. Not sure about seasoned, but seemed like there were lots onboard who were using the ship as a cheap transport to Florida. Or the opposite.

But none of this really matters. Cruise passengers are a mixed lot --just like any town. And hopefully all just get along.

The casual look may set in (to some, like an infection) but it won't stop me from donning the sportcoat and tie. Eventually formal dress will regain popularity, even if it becomes like a grassroots movement for a while. If there is such a period, dressing up on a few evenings will be a chance to show an independent mind. When I hear "the market" invoked, it suggest to me to try the opposite! :)

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

The casual look may set in (to some, like an infection) but it won't stop me from donning the sportcoat and tie. Eventually formal dress will regain popularity, even if it becomes like a grassroots movement for a while. If there is such a period, dressing up a few evenings will be a chance to show one's independent streak.

You do realize that the Tuxedo, when it was introduced approx. 90 years ago was considered "informal". Formal meant white tie and tails. Do you expect them to come back also?

You do realize that the Tuxedo, when it was introduced approx. 90 years ago was considered "informal". Formal meant white tie and tails. Do you expect them to come back also?

No sir, I do not expect that, and even if I had seen those coats at the thrift store, there probably wouldn't have been many sizes to choose from.

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

• 2 months later...

On an October Caribbean sailing on Eurodam, I counted 4 gentlemen (including myself) in the Pinnacle dining room in white dinner jackets. We looked like a James Bond Impersonator Revue. Was fantastic. I honestly didn't see anyone flaunting the relaxation in dress on Gala Nights.

On an October Caribbean sailing on Eurodam, I counted 4 gentlemen (including myself) in the Pinnacle dining room in white dinner jackets. We looked like a James Bond Impersonator Revue. Was fantastic. I honestly didn't see anyone flaunting the relaxation in dress on Gala Nights.

I was on the eurodam October 18 - November 1st and found the same thing. Of course there was the occasional dude trying to get into the MDR with shorts. On one of the gala nights I went to Canaletto and most people were dressed in gala attire in there too.

I was on the eurodam October 18 - November 1st and found the same thing. Of course there was the occasional dude trying to get into the MDR with shorts. On one of the gala nights I went to Canaletto and most people were dressed in gala attire in there too.

That was a great cruise; very congenial fellow passengers - and for the most part, excellent weather (HMC particularly).

That's good to hear, because we are finally boarding on Sunday..:)

DH's suit & a sport Jacket are packed & I'm wearing a long skirt on Gala nights :):)..The only chance I get to dress up is when I'm on a cruise & I'm not ready to give that up! ;)

However, I left the chiffon's in my closet & DH is leaving his TUX home..

Edited by serendipity1499

My husband I dressed well, however we did see a few questionable things. My husband keeps harassing me now about why he wasn't allowed to wear a shark print button down shirt like one guy, lol. We saw another man walk in with tight fitting slightly distressed dark jeans with a sports jacket (his girlfriend/wife was in a long dress). We were on a Caribbean cruise so hopefully that's the only reason it was a bit more lax.

Edited by sherilyn70

That's good to hear, because we are finally boarding on Sunday..:)

DH's suit & a sport Jacket are packed & I'm wearing a long skirt on Gala nights :):)..The only chance I get to dress up is when I'm on a cruise & I'm not ready to give that up! ;)

However, I left the chiffon's in my closet & DH is leaving his TUX home..

Happy to hears things have turned out ok for you. Enjoy the cruise.

My husband I dressed well, however we did see a few questionable things. My husband keeps harassing me now about why he wasn't allowed to wear a shark print button down shirt like one guy, lol. We saw another man walk in with tight fitting slightly distressed dark jeans with a sports jacket (his girlfriend/wife was in a long dress). We were on a Caribbean cruise so hopefully that's the only reason it was a bit more lax.

Mine was Caribbean as well. It was a b2b and we had 600 folks staying on for it. Who knows if that influenced it. I've heard that shorter cruises can be less formal (now gala:D).

Happy to hears things have turned out ok for you. Enjoy the cruise.

Thanks.. We need this cruise, although it will be a short one, as expecting family down the first week of Dec.:).

Then must finish Christmas shopping for all the kids & be done with the Christmas decorations for our annual "Boat Parade Party" Dec 19..:eek:

Thanks.. We need this cruise, although it will be a short one, as expecting family down the first week of Dec.:).

Then must finish Christmas shopping for all the kids & be done with the Christmas decorations for our annual "Boat Parade Party" Dec 19..:eek:

Sounds like you're going to need another cruise at the end of December!

Have a good time!

I did some poking around on the HAL website tonight and can't find where it discusses the dress for Gala Festive nights. Would someone please point me in the correct direction. Thanks,

Just did some more digging and found the information in "Know before you go" PDF file. Had to log into my account to get that far to see it.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests

dress to impress for special events on board, including a fivecourse

gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen,

jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are

required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which

permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts.

Edited by iflyrc5
found what I was looking for.

I doubt they will ban formal wear and I suspect there will be some people who will continue to 'dress' for dinner and they certainly should if that is what they wish.....

IMO

We sure will... just got off the Queen Mary 2, Cunard still has formal nights, infact we had 4 on our 14 day cruise... Cunard has relaxed its dress code making a tie optional on non formal nights, jackets for men are required anywhere in public areas after 6 pm daily. Very nice to see so many well dressed. Too bad HAL and other lines are going in the opposite direction.. My DH wore a tie every night... and he looked great. He likes to dress well, how lucky I am. :D

Please don't flame the messenger, I have a cousin who works at Hal corporate. He recently told me they are thinking of reinstating formal nite. Usual amount of nites with a few changes, one dining room only for formal and hours between 6:30 and 8:30 so just one seating. Cannot verify this as it is second hand info. If true it should make some people happy, some wont care.