Can US dollars be used in Victoria, BC

Can I use my CDN $ in Michigan? While most merchants will take your money, you will get an absolutely awful exchange rate and any change will be in CDN. Suggest you stop an ATM machine and withdraw a small amount of CDN cash or just use your credit card.

Can I use my CDN $ in Michigan? While most merchants will take your money, you will get an absolutely awful exchange rate and any change will be in CDN. Suggest you stop an ATM machine and withdraw a small amount of CDN cash or just use your credit card.

I was not trying to be rude. I just wanted clarification. When cruising to Cozumel, Mexico, it is not necessary to convert currency. I wasn't sure about Canada/British Columbia.

When I visited Niagara Falls many years ago, it was not necessary to convert to Canadian currency. Prices were in both US dollars and Canadian dollars. I wondered how much things have changed.

I realize you weren't trying to be rude but you have to understand we get this question quite often and the Canadian dollar is the only legal tender in Canada. However as I said earlier, most merchants in Victoria will take but at a great loss to you due the poor exchange rate they will give you. I doubt prices will be shown in both currencies.

No need to be rude. It was an honest question and quite frankly your answer was nasty. I can and have used US dollars in greater Vancouver all the time. I even used it to buy something at the local RCMP. Should you? Maybe not. CAN you..... sure in tourist locations like Vancouver and Victoria. But expect your change in either Canadian dollars or at a terrible exchange rate. Would I go to an ATM for a $10 purchase? No! So on a $10 purchase you lose about about 75 cents. Before you get your panties in a wad - I was born in Canada and am a dual citizen.

Are you the CC member who had a bad experience in the US and can't let it go? That person consistently is antagonistic to anyone that asks this question but the CC user had a bad experience 20 years ago or something.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Thanks everyone for your input. I will decide at the time if I will convert to Canadian currency. I am not overly concerned about the exchange rate. I won't be spending much - drinks or maybe a trinket or two. We are only going to be in Victoria for a few hours, in the evening. Whether the exchange rate is applied at point of sale, or with the US bank, the exchange rate will be paid one way or another, I am sure.

I live outside of Detroit, Michigan. We go into Windsor frequently, and don't find it necessary to convert to Canadian currency. Those in Windsor are happy to take US dollars.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will decide at the time if I will convert to Canadian currency. I am not overly concerned about the exchange rate. I won't be spending much - drinks or maybe a trinket or two. We are only going to be in Victoria for a few hours, in the evening. Whether the exchange rate is applied at point of sale, or with the US bank, the exchange rate will be paid one way or another, I am sure.

I live outside of Detroit, Michigan :eek:. We go into Windsor frequently, and don't find it necessary to convert to Canadian currency. Those in Windsor are happy to take US dollars. :)

Do I need to convert my cash from US dollars to Canadian dollars while having a port stop in Victoria, BC?

I'm glad you asked this question as we also are going to be in Victoria for just a few hours. We usually charge to our credit card while traveling but there might be the need for small change for the shuttle bus if we decide to go that route into town instead of walking. :)

Living just south of the 49th parrallel, we are closer to Vancouver than Seattle. Our local merchants take Canadian dollars without hesitation and I have encountered most if not all merchants in Vancouver and in Victoria all take US dollars as well. However, change will only be given in Canadian coin/dollars.

One word of caution when using US credit cards. I have encountered many merchants who will not take US "reward" cards. Merchants are actually charged a greater rate on these cards. So, be sure to take non-reward cards (no airline cards, or cards with the word "reward, cash back etc). Also, let your credit card company know you are traveling. I have a Target Visa I use and it will work the first time, then declines the second.

In the US, we have merchants which will still exchange "at par". Great for those north of the boarder...you do not want to exchange at par in Canada.

Our city collects around 50% of our local sales tax from Canadian Visitors and I am always happy to travel north and pay it back!

Living just south of the 49th parrallel, we are closer to Vancouver than Seattle. Our local merchants take Canadian dollars without hesitation and I have encountered most if not all merchants in Vancouver and in Victoria all take US dollars as well. However, change will only be given in Canadian coin/dollars.

One word of caution when using US credit cards. I have encountered many merchants who will not take US "reward" cards. Merchants are actually charged a greater rate on these cards. So, be sure to take non-reward cards (no airline cards, or cards with the word "reward, cash back etc). Also, let your credit card company know you are traveling. I have a Target Visa I use and it will work the first time, then declines the second.

In the US, we have merchants which will still exchange "at par". Great for those north of the boarder...you do not want to exchange at par in Canada.

Our city collects around 50% of our local sales tax from Canadian Visitors and I am always happy to travel north and pay it back!

BTW, I love your name!

Thank you for all the info. Will take into consideration while in Victoria!

Eliana

Only the CAD is legal tender in Canada, however as a courtesy to our American cousins almost all shops and services in Vancouver and Victoria accept the USD. That said you are not going to get the full exchange rate and you are going to get your change in CAD. However, if you are only going to purchase a few "trinkets" then it is probably not worth your while to stand in line to exchange USD for CAD, pay a transaction fee..... About the only thing you can't use the USD on is transit buses. Visa and MasterCard is widely accepted, AMEX less so and Discovery not at all. However, before using you credit card you may want to check on what your bank charges you in the way of foreign transaction fees. My experience has been that BofA charges outrages fees and while Capital One (US as opposed to the Canadian entity) claims they charge no fees, I am inclined to think they hide them in a higher exchange rate.

Even though it is against Canadian law, there are 2 merchants that I know of in Victoria that not only will take your American currency, but will also give you American money as change (not coins, just bills). And both of these cater to cruise passengers. The are the Butchart Gardens, in the gift shops, food outlets and entry gates. The other is the family run gift shop right on the cruise ship pier, and it is here that you will find "trinkets" at prices far lower than in the town. Happy shopping!!

yyjguy, there are others as well in Victoria and Vancouver. It used to be far more common that merchants operated 2 tills, one for CAD and the other for USD but it is much less so now. I don't know if it has to do with the cost of electronic cash registers, GST implications or what .... but it is not as common as it used to be.